GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

2011 Winter Classic in jeopardy due to weather

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_715490.html

This is all over the radio over here.....

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

I would presume that same for the alumni game the day before

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Wow...would be such a huge letdown for the nhl if weather ruins it. Kinda the polar opposite concern, I thought they might get snowed in considering whats happening in the states Laugh1

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I won't believe it until I see it on HBO.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Too bad the forecast is not from Environment Canada, because if they said 3 hours of rain on Saturday and 12 on Sunday, it would most likely then be 3 hours on Sunday and 12 on Monday.

Seriously, though, if they can keep the ice frozen and the concern is more for the rain and not the warm temperatures, then just play before the rains come. If Sunday is going to be 12 hours of rain and only 3 hours on Saturday, it sounds like the rain will start in the evening. The game is scheduled for 1PM. What's the issue?

And if the rain, somehow, is going to be in the morning or early afternoon (and then will stop until another 12 hours of it on Sunday), then cover the ice and postpone the game until late afternoon or evening. There's no Kentucky Derby retrospective planned for the evening, is there?

Is this all meant to just ratchet up the "drama"?

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

nope, they're hypersensitive to EVERYTHING here - it's quite comical watching the news.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I just don't get the NHL's Option B to move it to Sunday, where the forecast calls for 12 hours of rain versus 3 for Saturday. The only thing better about Sunday is the colder weather, but the ice techs are sure that they can keep it cold enough at ice level even in the Saturday "heat wave". You'd figure it would be easier to adjust the start time to work around the 3 hours of rain. I wonder if it's because they can't ask NBC to change their schedule the day before (or - shudder - day of) to get a more precise forecast.

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

the NHL has moved game time to 8pm due to rain. It was a beautiful day today here ... 55 degrees F and sunny.

so the Winter Classic and the Battle of Ontario is on at the same time....

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum