GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa hosts 2012 NHL ALL-STAR GAME

+7
Hoags
Hobiesens
Riprock
PKC
Ev
stempniaksen
SensHulk
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Ottawa hosts 2012 NHL ALL-STAR GAME Empty Ottawa hosts 2012 NHL ALL-STAR GAME Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:00 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

As Notorious BIG said, '...if you don't know, now you know (expletive)'

Made official this morning (from ottawasenators.com)

OTTAWA - Ottawa Senators owner Eugene Melnyk made good on a promise today, when he and National Hockey League commissioner Gary Bettman announced that the city would host the 2012 NHL All-Star Celebration. Melnyk had pledged to fans that he would bring an NHL all-star game to Ottawa, when he purchased the club in 2003. The 2012 NHL All-Star Game will be played on Sunday, Jan. 29, 2012, at Scotiabank Place, but the celebration will begin Thursday, Jan. 26, with a variety events planned throughout the national capital region.

“The Ottawa Senators and our hockey fans couldn’t be more excited at the opportunity to host and showcase the NHL’s top players in 2012,” said Senators owner Eugene Melnyk. “We will create a once-in-a-lifetime, weekend-long celebration of all that is great about hockey, the NHL and our city.”

“The league is extremely pleased that Ottawa and Scotiabank Place will be home to the events of all-star weekend 2012,” said Gary Bettman, NHL commissioner. “Ottawa and the Senators have distinguished themselves in hosting the Stanley Cup final and two NHL entry drafts, and I have no doubt they will provide an outstanding welcome for our fans, guests, media and business partners.”

The club’s bid, delivered to the NHL last February, was jointly submitted by the Senators and Ottawa Tourism. The bid partners also received planning and preparation support from the City of Ottawa, the National Capital Commission (NCC)and the new Ottawa Convention Centre.

“Short of the Stanley Cup final, which has already made its way to Ottawa and we hope to bring back again soon, the NHL’s all-star game festivities are the keynote events of the annual hockey schedule,” said Senators president Cyril Leeder. “We believe Ottawa will be a memorable venue to celebrate the NHL, Canada’s favourite pastime and the Senators’ 20th season.”

Ottawa Tourism estimates that the economic impact could exceed $30 million throughout the region, with increased tourism, more than 7,000 hotel rooms used, and activity from all the events and visitors. The broadcast ratings for North America exceed 3.5 million viewers on both Saturday and Sunday, and the Sunday game itself will be broadcast live in over 150 countries.

The 2012 NHL All-Star Game will be a community effort with support, volunteers and teamwork from all sectors of Hockey Country. All-star events will take place at the new world-class Ottawa Convention Centre, and the NCC will present public activities on the Rideau Canal Skateway and preview certain Winterlude attractions during this weekend.

“Our great Ottawa winter traditions will be shared with the NHL community, including skating on the Rideau Canal and previewing Winterlude’s activities,” added Leeder. “Hockey is a great game and we are extremely pleased at bringing its biggest stars to one of the world's truly great hockey cities.”

Details on the 2012 NHL all-star events, ticketing and community involvement will be announced at later dates.

2Ottawa hosts 2012 NHL ALL-STAR GAME Empty Re: Ottawa hosts 2012 NHL ALL-STAR GAME Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:01 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

also, if you go to the website right now, you'll see the neat logo for the ASG in 2012. Maybe someone with some skills can post it here

http://senators.nhl.com/index.html

EDIT: sigh, here it is!

Ottawa hosts 2012 NHL ALL-STAR GAME Ottawa10

3Ottawa hosts 2012 NHL ALL-STAR GAME Empty Re: Ottawa hosts 2012 NHL ALL-STAR GAME Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:15 pm

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

I really like that logo a lot.

Seems like so far so good as far as putting up a good image to the league.

4Ottawa hosts 2012 NHL ALL-STAR GAME Empty Re: Ottawa hosts 2012 NHL ALL-STAR GAME Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:21 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

The Peace Tower is missing something...

5Ottawa hosts 2012 NHL ALL-STAR GAME Empty Re: Ottawa hosts 2012 NHL ALL-STAR GAME Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:03 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Big Ev wrote:The Peace Tower is missing something...

No kidding...Bettman must think RimJim is behind the logo design and doesn't want his subliminal marketing to get out to All-Star voters.

6Ottawa hosts 2012 NHL ALL-STAR GAME Empty Re: Ottawa hosts 2012 NHL ALL-STAR GAME Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:47 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Forgive my ignorance, but what is it that I am missing in respect to the Peace Tower's likeness?

7Ottawa hosts 2012 NHL ALL-STAR GAME Empty Re: Ottawa hosts 2012 NHL ALL-STAR GAME Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:58 pm

Hobiesens

Hobiesens
Sophomore
Sophomore

Dash wrote:Forgive my ignorance, but what is it that I am missing in respect to the Peace Tower's likeness?

A big beautiful Canadian flag!

8Ottawa hosts 2012 NHL ALL-STAR GAME Empty Re: Ottawa hosts 2012 NHL ALL-STAR GAME Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:03 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Ok, well I noticed that, but I didn't get the Jim Balsillie/BlackBerry/RIM reference.

9Ottawa hosts 2012 NHL ALL-STAR GAME Empty Re: Ottawa hosts 2012 NHL ALL-STAR GAME Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:08 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Dash wrote:Ok, well I noticed that, but I didn't get the Jim Balsillie/BlackBerry/RIM reference.

The NHL doesn't seem to want any references to Canada and the maple leaf at a time where's been so much talk and happenings regarding Canada getting another NHL team, especially Balsille's antics in Phoenix.

10Ottawa hosts 2012 NHL ALL-STAR GAME Empty Re: Ottawa hosts 2012 NHL ALL-STAR GAME Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:21 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Well, not since the 2000 Toronto ASG, does there appear to be any National symbols in any of the logos, so I wouldn't read too much into it. I think it's silly if it was the case, and it does seem wrong then to remove the flag intentionally to not create a pro-Canadian theme.

11Ottawa hosts 2012 NHL ALL-STAR GAME Empty Re: Ottawa hosts 2012 NHL ALL-STAR GAME Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:42 pm

Amnesia021

Amnesia021
Rookie
Rookie

I might be missing something here, but what does the logo have to do with the Sens? (I know what it has to do with Ottawa) From what I can tell, the logo design always seems to incorporate the hosting team's logo. Does this logo point towards a possibility that the tower will become a new sens logo?

EDIT: Maybe the ring in the ASG Logo is supposed to be the Sens O....

12Ottawa hosts 2012 NHL ALL-STAR GAME Empty Re: Ottawa hosts 2012 NHL ALL-STAR GAME Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:42 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Amnesia021 wrote:I might be missing something here, but what does the logo have to do with the Sens? (I know what it has to do with Ottawa) From what I can tell, the logo design always seems to incorporate the hosting team's logo. Does this logo point towards a possibility that the tower will become a new sens logo?

I think you're making something out of nothing here lol. Ottawa's most recognizable landmark is the Peace Tower, so that's why they made a logo out of it. Just like if it were in St. Louis, there would be an arch, and if it was in Seattle, there would be the Space Needle in the logo (obviously there's no team in Seattle though).

13Ottawa hosts 2012 NHL ALL-STAR GAME Empty Re: Ottawa hosts 2012 NHL ALL-STAR GAME Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:12 pm

Amnesia021

Amnesia021
Rookie
Rookie

Big Ev wrote:
Amnesia021 wrote:I might be missing something here, but what does the logo have to do with the Sens? (I know what it has to do with Ottawa) From what I can tell, the logo design always seems to incorporate the hosting team's logo. Does this logo point towards a possibility that the tower will become a new sens logo?

I think you're making something out of nothing here lol. Ottawa's most recognizable landmark is the Peace Tower, so that's why they made a logo out of it. Just like if it were in St. Louis, there would be an arch, and if it was in Seattle, there would be the Space Needle in the logo (obviously there's no team in Seattle though).

I probably am, but take a look at these logos from the past ASGs, http://www.sportslogos.net/team.php?id=485 notice the trend? Sarcasm

14Ottawa hosts 2012 NHL ALL-STAR GAME Empty Re: Ottawa hosts 2012 NHL ALL-STAR GAME Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:42 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I think you meant to say "I probably am biased, but ..."

The Montreal one is horrible. Reminds me of a washed-up, dried up star fish. Philly, Chicago, Minny, even Atlanta -- all good. Boston?? Yikes. Ah, too many bad ones to comment each and very one.

15Ottawa hosts 2012 NHL ALL-STAR GAME Empty Re: Ottawa hosts 2012 NHL ALL-STAR GAME Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:56 pm

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

Big Ev wrote:

Plus the peace tower used to be on the Sens jersey before the "Spartan" theme was developed.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum