GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

UPDATE: Jason Smith retires; door open for Erik Karlsson?

+21
spader
PKC
Riprock
asq2
Snuh
Sens19
TheAvatar
beedub
LeCaptain
wprager
PTFlea
jamvan
Vandelay
davetherave
SensFan71
SensGirl11
strachattack
shabbs
BigRig
SeawaySensFan
25 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 19  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 19]

The first real news in weeks and its dead.

SensGirl11

Mod
Mod

I wouldn't say it's bad news necessarily. It is and it isn't. We've cleared up the space we needed to without having to throw someone out. I wonder if Murray will still move Schuby or Lee. This gave him an out to not have to do that.

I just hope that Smith is doing this for himself and not because he feels he has to with all the talk this summer.

SensGirl11

Mod
Mod

I also wonder if this opens the door wider for Karlsson this year. Murray is so in love with him, I wouldn't be surprised to see him play this season for the full year. I still don't think he's quite ready yet though.

Nah, it was pretty evident last year he lost a step even though he might have found it in the playoffs, but still.

This really unties Murray's hands though, in a large way.

SensGirl11 wrote:I also wonder if this opens the door wider for Karlsson this year. Murray is so in love with him, I wouldn't be surprised to see him play this season for the full year. I still don't think he's quite ready yet though.

Karlsson is on the team. I've been saying it since the WJC.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

N4L wrote:
SensGirl11 wrote:I also wonder if this opens the door wider for Karlsson this year. Murray is so in love with him, I wouldn't be surprised to see him play this season for the full year. I still don't think he's quite ready yet though.

apparently Murray's been listening to you, because he has said it openly as well.

Also the fact Sens Chirp and his "sources" didnt get a hold of this shows how little he actually knows.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

I'm onside with N4L on this one...BM wants Erik Karlsson on this team now. And E-K is probably ready.

SensFan71 wrote:
N4L wrote:

apparently Murray's been listening to you, because he has said it openly as well.

All you had to do was watch him play. He was head and shoulders better then Hedman at the WJC and every other defenseman in that tourny (except maybe goncharov, who was great). Other then his "size" which is a bit of a crock, he is more then ready to be in the NHL. Size is only an issue when a player plays a certain type of game. Karlsson is smart enough and quick enough to avoid the heavy hits.

Size also has absolutly nothing to do with strength. Look at Peca.

davetherave wrote:I'm onside with N4L on this one...BM wants Erik Karlsson on this team now. And E-K is probably ready.

Absolutly beyond ready. There wont be a better rookie D man in the league this year.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:I'm onside with N4L on this one...BM wants Erik Karlsson on this team now. And E-K is probably ready.

he has gotten great reviews from the coaches and the players alike, I think even Leclaire has jumped in and said he is really impressed with this kid's maturity and confidence, should be a really good rookie camp starting this weekend.

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

I know this is beyond pre-mature but...

Calder?

Maybe, not very often a D man wins it.

I think if Heut faltters in Chicago The Calder might be going to Crowford, but that's just me.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

N4L wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:
N4L wrote:

All you had to do was watch him play. He was head and shoulders better then Hedman at the WJC and every other defenseman in that tourny (except maybe goncharov, who was great). Other then his "size" which is a bit of a crock, he is more then ready to be in the NHL. Size is only an issue when a player plays a certain type of game. Karlsson is smart enough and quick enough to avoid the heavy hits.

Size also has absolutly nothing to do with strength. Look at Peca.

Right on...Duncan Keith, for example, isn't exactly The Incredible Hulk...Karlsson's a VERY smart and smooth d-man.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

davetherave wrote:Right on...Duncan Keith, for example, isn't exactly The Incredible Hulk...Karlsson's a VERY smart and smooth d-man.

Agreed. I've been downplaying the size "issue" pretty well since Karlsson was drafted. We all know he's a little c0cky and he loves to lay big, open-ice hits. He probably knows he has the physical strength and/or evasiveness to back it up.

That calder pick is circumstantial though. I think Helm might pull it off if he plays a 2nd or 3rd line role in Detroit.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

From SunMedia:
http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/2009/09/02/10716121.html

Jason Smith is calling it a career.

The 35-year-old defenceman has called a news conference for 10 a.m. with team general manager Bryan Murray this morning at Scotiabank Place where he’s expected to announce his retirement after an NHL career that has spanned 17 years.

Smith was signed as an unrestricted free agent to a two-year contract last summer. The decision by Smith will allow Murray and the Senators to wipe his $2.6 million salary off their cap this year, which will give the club some flexibility because they were approximately $1.3 million over the NHL salary cap.

The decision by Smith doesn’t come as a major surprise. He had only a limited role last season and didn’t finish the year because of an injury. It also gives Murray room to play if the club is able to find a deal for winger Dany Heatley.

Vandelay

Vandelay
Sophomore
Sophomore

is this gonna be streamed anywhere?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 19]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 19  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum