GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Patrick eaves

+3
shabbs
SensGirl11
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Patrick eaves Empty Patrick eaves Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:43 pm

Sophomore
Sophomore

What an insult to Eaves, get traded then immediately waived.
I didn't mind the guy as a player but there is no room for him at all.

2Patrick eaves Empty Re: Patrick eaves Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:52 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

That is soooooo shady!! I can't believe they did that. Poor Eaves. I guess that's the business though, it sucks, but it happens.

3Patrick eaves Empty Re: Patrick eaves Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:57 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

http://www.gmhockey.com/member-s-story-breakers-f8/bruins-acquire-eaves-for-aaron-ward-t2863.htm

4Patrick eaves Empty Re: Patrick eaves Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:48 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

That sucks, but business is business. Some team is waiting to claim him I would imagine. This was all done so quickly that it's only logical.

5Patrick eaves Empty Re: Patrick eaves Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:52 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:That sucks, but business is business. Some team is waiting to claim him I would imagine. This was all done so quickly that it's only logical.

Like who though? The reality is setting in that guys with mid-level contracts are getting squeezed out of the game. Teams have space for star players making star money and then a bunch of rookies and league minimum veterans.

6Patrick eaves Empty Re: Patrick eaves Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:02 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

PKC wrote:
Like who though? The reality is setting in that guys with mid-level contracts are getting squeezed out of the game. Teams have space for star players making star money and then a bunch of rookies and league minimum veterans.

Nashville? Phoenix? Montreal? All of these have crap offenses. Buffalo. I don't know, there must be a few teams that can take this chance.

7Patrick eaves Empty Re: Patrick eaves Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:06 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I take it back. Eaves is being bought out. I've been out all day and I didn't realize it.

8Patrick eaves Empty Re: Patrick eaves Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:39 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:I take it back. Eaves is being bought out. I've been out all day and I didn't realize it.

He's being placed on waivers for the purposes of, reportedly, then buying him out. A team can claim him in the interval.

Since he was placed on waivers Friday morning / afternoon, I think we've looking at a little longer than the regular 24-waiver period. I think he won't clear until Sunday, maybe even Monday morning.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't think you could even buyout a player now (the buyout period is June 15-30, or so). There's a loophole in the CBA that allows you do make a buyout if you have an unsigned RFA going into arbitration, but I don't know exactly how that works. If I'm reading the CBA right, however, I'm not even sure BOS can buy Eaves out even with Kessel going to arbitration:

From 11.18: "However, in the event that a Club has only one salary arbitration hearing pursuant to Section 12.3(a) in a given League Year, such Club shall not be entitled to exercise such a buyout outside the regular period for Ordinary Course
Buy-Outs."

EDIT: oh wait, there's also this:

From Exhibit 16.7: "There shall be a six (6) day period commencing on July 23, 2005 and ending at 5:00 p.m. New York time on July 29, 2005, during which Clubs may elect to terminate and buy out SPCs of Players, and any buyout made during this time
period shall be deemed to be a "Compliance Buyout" as provided for in Article 50."

First time I ever heard to this...

However, my "favourited" CBA is the 2005-06, so who knows.... anyone have a link for this year's CBA, btw?

9Patrick eaves Empty Re: Patrick eaves Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:36 pm

He'll catch on somewhere I would think. It's must be tough though to effectively be told by 2 organizations in the same day that you aren't good enough.

I think he'll find a team pretty quickly for around $1 million per. That's not much of a risk. If the Sens weren't so tight against the cap, I'd think a million would be worth a chance on him for sure.

10Patrick eaves Empty Re: Patrick eaves Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:39 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Ouch. I thought I had a little headache, but now it's being upgraded to two extra-strength Ibuprofen gel-caps.

Someone on another blog is wondering if the Sens would pick up Eaves from waivers. Other than loyalty and pity, why would they do that? Unless they knew they could trade him for something, anything.

11Patrick eaves Empty Re: Patrick eaves Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:58 pm

wprager wrote:Ouch. I thought I had a little headache, but now it's being upgraded to two extra-strength Ibuprofen gel-caps.

Someone on another blog is wondering if the Sens would pick up Eaves from waivers. Other than loyalty and pity, why would they do that? Unless they knew they could trade him for something, anything.

Why pick him up and pay his full salary????? Let him clear and sign him for less.

12Patrick eaves Empty Re: Patrick eaves Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:49 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:

From Exhibit 16.7: "There shall be a six (6) day period commencing on July 23, 2005 and ending at 5:00 p.m. New York time on July 29, 2005, during which Clubs may elect to terminate and buy out SPCs of Players, and any buyout made during this time
period shall be deemed to be a "Compliance Buyout" as provided for in Article 50."

However, my "favourited" CBA is the 2005-06, so who knows.... anyone have a link for this year's CBA, btw?

Oh dear. Some nervous players right now?

13Patrick eaves Empty Re: Patrick eaves Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:01 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

Like I said earlier today, the landscape of the NHL is changing and is moving in a new direction of squeezing out the mid-level contract guys. Notice all the contracts that we constantly talk about moving: $1.9-4.3 million range. That's for a reason. Those contracts are killing teams, and if the cap drops at all next season, there is going to be a considerable amount of moving out of those mid-level contracts.

If you notice, more than ever, team's are moving to the long-term, low cap hit route for their identified star players ($5+ million) and surrounding them with rookies on entry-level contracts and veterans making close to league minimum.

That's just the way the league is going to work from now on I think, so that teams don't get saddled with these middling contracts for players that play roles but are caught in between being serviceable role players and breakthrough team leaders.

Patrick Eaves' injury history makes it easy for him to be written off, but soon enough, I think we'll start seeing guys get squeezed out just because of money concerns.

14Patrick eaves Empty Re: Patrick eaves Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:14 pm

PKC wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

Like I said earlier today, the landscape of the NHL is changing and is moving in a new direction of squeezing out the mid-level contract guys. Notice all the contracts that we constantly talk about moving: $1.9-4.3 million range. That's for a reason. Those contracts are killing teams, and if the cap drops at all next season, there is going to be a considerable amount of moving out of those mid-level contracts.

If you notice, more than ever, team's are moving to the long-term, low cap hit route for their identified star players ($5+ million) and surrounding them with rookies on entry-level contracts and veterans making close to league minimum.

That's just the way the league is going to work from now on I think, so that teams don't get saddled with these middling contracts for players that play roles but are caught in between being serviceable role players and breakthrough team leaders.

Patrick Eaves' injury history makes it easy for him to be written off, but soon enough, I think we'll start seeing guys get squeezed out just because of money concerns.

That could all change (again) after the next CBA.

15Patrick eaves Empty Re: Patrick eaves Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:20 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

PKC wrote:

If I remember, there were a few of us warning that these mid level guys were in deep trouble. This was a year or maybe even two ago. It started on Buzz and followed us here. It is INEVITABLE that mid level contract players are going to be jettisoned. It's also inevitable that mid level players will have to take much less or not get signed at all (Sykora etc.).

I got into it pretty good with a couple of people when I said that Boston and Chicago were screwed. Now it's beginning - and this is only the beginning for these teams. It's gonna get a lot worse.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum