GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME OF THE NIGHT: Detroit Red Wings at Anaheim Ducks, Thursday, May 7, 2009 1030 pm ET/730 Pacific

+5
Cronie
Cap'n Clutch
shabbs
PKC
davetherave
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

GAME OF THE NIGHT: Detroit Red Wings at Anaheim Ducks, Thursday, May 7, 2009 1030 pm ET/730 Pacific DetDetroit at GAME OF THE NIGHT: Detroit Red Wings at Anaheim Ducks, Thursday, May 7, 2009 1030 pm ET/730 Pacific AnaAnaheim

GAME FOUR, STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS WEST SEMIFINALS
DUCKS LEAD SERIES 2-1

10:30 PM ET, May 7, 2009
Honda Center, Anaheim, California

TSN/RDS/Versus

Red Wings-Ducks Preview

ANAHEIM, Calif. (AP) -- It is rare for the Detroit Red Wings to lose three straight in the postseason, but when it happens it is usually at the hands of the Anaheim Ducks.

The Ducks took their first lead over the Red Wings in the Western Conference semifinal series on Tuesday night with a 2-1 victory in Game 3. Anaheim could take control against the defending Stanley Cup champions on Thursday night if they win again on home ice.

That would give the Ducks a 3-1 edge before the series shifts back to Detroit for Game 5.

Detroit hasn't lost three straight playoff games since 2007 when the Ducks did it to them in the conference finals en route to their Cup championship. Anaheim also swept Detroit in a first-round series in 2003.

A slow start on Thursday could put the second-seeded Red Wings into a deep hole against surging Anaheim. The Ducks are gaining confidence daily as they build off their first-round elimination of the Presidents' Trophy-winning San Jose Sharks.

"We have stay out of the penalty box early on against them and we have to get our legs going early in the game," Detroit captain Nicklas Lidstrom said. "They've had some power plays early on that have given them some momentum, whether they score or not."

Red Wings coach Mike Babc0ck would also like to see more early spark from his team. Detroit is trying to become the first NHL team to repeat as Cup champion since the Red Wings did it in 1998.

"We have to get started on time," he said. "The last two games, if I'm not mistaken, we had a power play right at the start of the game, both power plays I thought we were uneasy."

While Babc0ck indicated the Red Wings will not make any lineup changes for Game 4, the Ducks could be without James Wisniewski.

The defenseman was hospitalized Tuesday night because of a bruised lung. Wisniewski was struck in the chest by Pavel Datsyuk's slap shot during the second period and was taken off the ice on a stretcher.

Wisniewski has meshed with the Ducks' veteran defensemen since being acquired from Chicago in a March 4 trade with Chicago.

"He stepped in and played an important role for the team since he got here," said Ducks captain Scott Niedermayer, who will likely increase his already heavy workload if Wisniewski sits out. "He was a guy who was out killing penalties and on the power play. He plays in all situations."

Anaheim could look to add to the lineup a young defenseman such as Brendan Mikkelson, Brett Festerling or Brian Salcido. Veteran Bret Hedican remains sidelined with a back injury.

"We'll have to make adjustments and find a way to get it done," Niedermayer said.

The Ducks were also angered by Tomas Holmstrom's elbow to Wisniewski's head just seconds after Wisniewski was hurt by Datsyuk's shot.

"What would you think if you were doubled over and gasping for air and someone gives you an elbow in the side of the head. How would you feel," Ducks coach Randy Carlyle said.

Niedermayer was careful not to unload his feelings about the hit.

"I have a couple answers, but I'll stick with a boring one," he said. "Everyone is definitely responsible for what they are doing out there. You make decisions about how you are going to act and carry yourself. I haven't seen what happened, but if that is what happened, you be the judge."

Holmstrom denied intentionally nailing Wisniewski with his elbow.

"I had no idea I hit him," Holmstrom said. "I didn't see him, I had no idea he was behind me."

Babc0ck also downplayed the hit.

"From my perspective when I'm watching this series, come on, it's like a rodeo after every whistle," he said. "Every whistle could be a penalty. I don't know how one play would be anything."

Last edited by davetherave on Wed May 06, 2009 11:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Is Game Four 'Do or Die' for the Red Wings?

:??:

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:Is Game Four 'Do or Die' for the Red Wings?

If they lose tonight, this series is over for the Wings. The Ducks are just on a different stratosphere right now.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

davetherave wrote:Is Game Four 'Do or Die' for the Red Wings?

For sure. If the Ducks go up 3-1 in the series... it's all but over.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Do or die for any team down 2 games to 1 in their respective series' IMHO. It doesn't happen often that a team comes back down 3-1. I realize Washington did it this year already but it's still a rarity.

- Unknown Author

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

The Ducks (and kudos to Carlisle and his crew) are on a mission right now, and they are doing more than holding their own against the defending champs; they are actually taking it to THEM nightly.

Wang certainly has his work cut out for him.

ducks win 3-2 with a late goal in the 3rd.

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

the wings are going to be more rested tonight instead of a team that looked tired last game they know how to win so i think they might win tonight but it will be close anaheim cannot afford to take the penalties they did last game and the ducks are without weisneuski

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

More hockey...

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Ducks up early in this one...

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Wings tie it up. Franzen makes it 1-1.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

OK...is this going to be ANOTHER heart attack game?

ha ha!

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

WOW.

THE MULE.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Ducks got lazy on that last one... silly...

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

C'mon Detroit!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum