GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

latest article on Meszaros

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1latest article on Meszaros Empty latest article on Meszaros Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:47 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Ottawa/2008/08/24/6557771-sun.html

This article suggests the Sens had offered a $3.5M long-term deal, but Meszaros is looking for Weber's numbers ($4.5M, three years).

A one-year deal favors the player, so splitting the difference and adjusting downward (due to said "advantage") still makes $2.8M possible. But I'm beginning to think that getting him for under $3M is a pipe-dream.

2latest article on Meszaros Empty Re: latest article on Meszaros Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:52 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Ottawa/2008/08/24/6557771-sun.html

This article suggests the Sens had offered a $3.5M long-term deal, but Meszaros is looking for Weber's numbers ($4.5M, three years).

A one-year deal favors the player, so splitting the difference and adjusting downward (due to said "advantage") still makes $2.8M possible. But I'm beginning to think that getting him for under $3M is a pipe-dream.

Normally, I would agree, except I was and continue to be told that Murray's final offer to Mezie was for 1 yr at under $3M. Now, that could be faulty intel, who knows, but the longer this goes on, the more it gives fuel to the speculations and other rumors.

I tend to agree with Jammer, that Mezie will sign either by the beginning or just after the start of Training camp!

3latest article on Meszaros Empty Re: latest article on Meszaros Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:59 am

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

I'd have to think if they only sign him for 1 year, it will be under the $3.5 million and closer to $2 million. I do see a 2+ year deal struck though and I'm almost certain it will be done before camp. There's still tons of time.

4latest article on Meszaros Empty Re: latest article on Meszaros Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:19 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

jamvan wrote:I'd have to think if they only sign him for 1 year, it will be under the $3.5 million and closer to $2 million. I do see a 2+ year deal struck though and I'm almost certain it will be done before camp. There's still tons of time.

Oh you're right. It's coming...I hope. LOL

5latest article on Meszaros Empty Re: latest article on Meszaros Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:30 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Ottawa/2008/08/24/6557771-sun.html

You're starting to sound like me on this issue. Congrats, or condolences. Smile

I've long maintained that $2-2.5 mil is too low, and somewhere around $3-3.5 mil is what it's going to take. I think a 2 yr, $3-3.5 mil contract the most likely scenario. $2.8-3 mil isn't out of the question, but then it'd be a 1 yr deal.

My prediction: $3 mil / 1 yr, $3.25 mil / 2 yrs, or $3.5 mil / 3 yrs.

If the numbers are a little lower than that, super, and hats off to Murray -- but I'm not holding my breath for it.

6latest article on Meszaros Empty Re: latest article on Meszaros Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:37 am

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

It looks as though Meszaros has since changed agents? Wasn't his agent Winters? In the article it says his agent " Gerry Johansson " .

If this is true, perhaps Murray couldn't work out a deal with Winters, so Meszaros got different representation. I'm looking for confirmation of this...

7latest article on Meszaros Empty Re: latest article on Meszaros Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:10 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

jamvan wrote:It looks as though Meszaros has since changed agents? Wasn't his agent Winters? In the article it says his agent " Gerry Johansson " .

If this is true, perhaps Murray couldn't work out a deal with Winters, so Meszaros got different representation. I'm looking for confirmation of this...

Could be wrong, but I seem to remember reading the phrase "one of his agents" on some article. It could very well have been in reference to another player, but it's probably quite common that a player is represented by a company of sports agents (think Jerry Maguire) so there could be more than one agent representing a particular player.

8latest article on Meszaros Empty Re: latest article on Meszaros Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:05 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

A small, small update (or maybe just a re-hashing?) from Sensjunkie.com (who is pretty good) on the Mesz situation:

http://www.sensjunkie.com/my_weblog/2008/08/meszaros-update.html

A personal plug: note that he's predicting contract numbers ($11 / 3 yrs) very similar to mine above! Smile

9latest article on Meszaros Empty Re: latest article on Meszaros Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:09 pm

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

rooneypoo wrote:A small, small update (or maybe just a re-hashing?) from Sensjunkie.com (who is pretty good) on the Mesz situation:

http://www.sensjunkie.com/my_weblog/2008/08/meszaros-update.html

A personal plug: note that he's predicting contract numbers ($11 / 3 yrs) very similar to mine above! Smile

I don't think you're going to be far off at all. Since were predicting, here's mine:

3 years = $2.4 1st year; $3 2nd year; $3.6 3rd year = $9 million over 3 years.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum