GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Rangers trade ideas to make room for Mats

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Rangers trade ideas to make room for Mats Empty Rangers trade ideas to make room for Mats Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:41 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Ok, so if Mats chooses NY, then they will have to make room to accomodate him, both in terms of playtime and cap. As Ek noted, if they sign Mats, they will have 4 top 2 centers (Drury, Gomez, Dubinsky and Sundin). As well, their defense is very questionable and some upgrading is in order.

So, what if Ottawa could help them out by sending a defenceman (Phillips, Kuba, Smith) and get Dubinsky in return? Good deal for Ottawa.

DashRiprock wrote:Ok, so if Mats chooses NY, then they will have to make room to accomodate him, both in terms of playtime and cap. As Ek noted, if they sign Mats, they will have 4 top 2 centers (Drury, Gomez, Dubinsky and Sundin). As well, their defense is very questionable and some upgrading is in order.

So, what if Ottawa could help them out by sending a defenceman (Phillips, Kuba, Smith) and get Dubinsky in return? Good deal for Ottawa.

Except Dubinsky is overrated and would cost too much. Calling him a top line centre is a real stretch at this point. Also, how would they accomodate yet another body and salary if we sent a D-man. Rumour on the radio is that Sundin is looking for $6 million per from them (obviously prorated). How do they fit Sundin at that price and say Phillips or Kuba, just by moving Dubinsky? They answer is..they don't. The guy going the other way is almost undoubtedly Gomez or Drury.

I'd much rather take a flier on Petr Prucha, who could be had for next to nothing. He's reportedly in incredible shape and would benefit from the change.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Zherdev

SeawaySensFan wrote:Zherdev

Doesn't clear enough salary, particularly if the Rags want to bring in a d-man as well.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

hemlock wrote:

Doesn't clear enough salary, particularly if the Rags want to bring in a d-man as well.

They aren't brining in a D-Man. Tough enough to make room for BatBoy.

Laker

Laker
Prospect
Prospect

DashRiprock wrote:Ok, so if Mats chooses NY, then they will have to make room to accomodate him, both in terms of playtime and cap. As Ek noted, if they sign Mats, they will have 4 top 2 centers (Drury, Gomez, Dubinsky and Sundin). As well, their defense is very questionable and some upgrading is in order.

If it's just for the sake of a change then why not Gomez for Vermette. It makes room for Sundin and the NYR get better (maybe?).

That of coarse would have to be coupled with Spezza to (whoever?) for some very good prospects playing in the NHL today.

In the end Ottawa is better and has a major change. There is not much difference in the Gomez and Spezza contracts so the cap space doesn't change.

SeawaySensFan wrote:
hemlock wrote:

They aren't brining in a D-Man. Tough enough to make room for BatBoy.

Word is they are looking to. The Rags are right up against the cap. If Sundin signs for $5 million per, even prorated Zherdev's salary isn't enough to make room. Besides, he's been their best forward this year and is signed to a nice contract. No way he gets moved imo.

Zherdev? Seriously? Why don't we bring in Afinogenov too? And how about every other playoff disappearing act out there?
I may not have anything to back this up, but I'm pretty damn sure he will be a non-factor in the post-season.

The Sens used to have all kinds of skill-players who didn't cut it in the post-season. Now we have a whole slew of playoff performers who can't Diddle cut it in the regular season... awwwesome!

cash wrote:Zherdev? Seriously? Why don't we bring in Afinogenov too? And how about every other playoff disappearing act out there?
I may not have anything to back this up, but I'm pretty damn sure he will be a non-factor in the post-season.

The Sens used to have all kinds of skill-players who didn't cut it in the post-season. Now we have a whole slew of playoff performers who can't Diddle cut it in the regular season... awwwesome!

Afinogenov I agree with, but Zherdev has been the best player in NY this season, including Lundqvist and yes, even Redden. Pretty hard to judge him about playoff performance considering he's never been there before....until this year, he's been rotting in Columbus.

I know, but he is that type of player. I can see it now. His post season ppg is going to be .500 or below.
No need for people to argue the point and repeat that he's never been there so there's no proof...just tell me I was wrong if it happens otherwise....

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

I think Rozsival's probably the one they're trying to get rid of.

Redden's contract is too un-manageable. But probably someone like Atlanta or Columbus might entertain the idea of Michal.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum