GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+5
tim1_2
Flo The Action
Ev
wprager
DefenceWinsChampionships
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 34 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 67]

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:Always nice to beat the Leafs, and it was really nice to see Daccord get his first W against that offense.  I'm guessing Murray was injured, so we don't see him tonight?

he sustained whatever it was during practice. may be in the team's best interest to tell him to rest and ride out daccord. it sounds like hogberg is close to returning too. so who knows. i think joey is winning over the fanbase pretty quickly which may lead to a hoberg move at the deadline. i bet a team like edmonton would inquire. they're a goalie injury away from being extremely mediocre

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Flo The Action wrote:
wprager wrote:JBD is likely the only one who could be in the lineup next season (this season, too, but just for a game or two). I could see him, eventually, becoming the steady presence that Chabot needs in a partner.

The left side is stocked, overloaded, if anything. I don't see Brannston here long-term with Sanderson going pro at the end of his UND season. Especially if Dorion isn't around to defend his "proudest day". Imagine if they take Power in the upcoming draft.

The right side is pretty weak, JBD will absolutely have a chance to make the roster.

I think it’s a lot to right now appoint JBD as a top pairing guy down the stretch. Let’s start to see how he fairs in the NHL or even on the 2nd pairing.
I think Zub has the potential to slide in that top spot in a pinch. The reason he likely hasn’t before now is because that second pairing is horrendous without him this season.

I could see a world where Brannstrom is traded. His value isn’t what it was when Pierre made that verbal fumble but he could be part of a package eventually.
I’d advise waiting another year before pulling those triggers though. He has a spot to fill right now. DJ might not seem like his biggest fan but Brannstrom might outlive DJ in the organization. Barring a turn around, I think DJ is fired midway next season if the team doesn’t turn a corner. He’s not terrible or bad even, just don’t see him as a coach that brings these guys further or is extremely good at coaching.

"chance to make the roster" is not the same as "top pairing".

Agree with the take on Smith. Very short leash next year.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

This year might be a good one to trade down. Who knows.

Murray should be sitting - injured or not. Daccord gives the the best chance at running right now. Montreal lost Chiarot for likely the rest of the season. Still a small chance of making it in. Tiny, but still there.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:This year might be a good one to trade down. Who knows.

Murray should be sitting - injured or not. Daccord gives the the best chance at running right now. Montreal lost Chiarot for likely the rest of the season. Still a small chance of making it in. Tiny, but still there.

Murray was signed to a four year contract, he will be the starter if he’s healthy. Daccord has been ok, it’s not like he’s taking a stranglehold of it. He has a sub 900 save percentage as well

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:Always nice to beat the Leafs, and it was really nice to see Daccord get his first W against that offense.  I'm guessing Murray was injured, so we don't see him tonight?

he sustained whatever it was during practice. may be in the team's best interest to tell him to rest and ride out daccord. it sounds like hogberg is close to returning too. so who knows. i think joey is winning over the fanbase pretty quickly which may lead to a hoberg move at the deadline. i bet a team like edmonton would inquire. they're a goalie injury away from being extremely mediocre

Fractured ego

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Of all the crapy off season moves that Dorion has and could possibly make, he’d do better to just resign Dzingel to a one or two year contract for next season. Still has good skill and great speed.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I wouldn't be totally opposed to bringing Dzingel back on a short term deal after this year so long as we're not cluttering up the roster with "vets".

Good game by our Mighty Senatores last night, just couldn't quite pull it out. Great work by Brady late on the tying goal, setting up White who had a great finish on that goal. Shots were 46 to 28 for the Sens.

People that are giving Dorion Dung better also be giving him credit for Artem Zub.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:I wouldn't be totally opposed to bringing Dzingel back on a short term deal after this year so long as we're not cluttering up the roster with "vets".  

Good game by our Mighty Senatores last night, just couldn't quite pull it out.  Great work by Brady late on the tying goal, setting up White who had a great finish on that goal.  Shots were 46 to 28 for the Sens.  

People that are giving Dorion Dung better also be giving him credit for Artem Zub.  

Credit for: Zub, Watson (meh), Dzingel
Dung for: Stepan, Gudbranson, J. Brown + extension, Murray + extension, Galchenyuk, Coburn, Paquette

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:I wouldn't be totally opposed to bringing Dzingel back on a short term deal after this year so long as we're not cluttering up the roster with "vets".  

Good game by our Mighty Senatores last night, just couldn't quite pull it out.  Great work by Brady late on the tying goal, setting up White who had a great finish on that goal.  Shots were 46 to 28 for the Sens.  

Dung for: Stepan, Gudbranson, J. Brown + extension, Murray + extension, Galchenyuk, Coburn, Paquette

Coburn and Paquette were throw-ins to get a free 2nd round pick. You can't Dung on both the Stepan trade and that trade. Galchenyuk was also not a bad signing, he didn't work out but he was cheap and along with Paquette got Dzingel in a trade, so it wasn't a bad thing.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:

Coburn and Paquette were throw-ins to get a free 2nd round pick. You can't Dung on both the Stepan trade and that trade. Galchenyuk was also not a bad signing, he didn't work out but he was cheap and along with Paquette got Dzingel in a trade, so it wasn't a bad thing.

Yeah, the Coburn and Paquette was essentially there for us to accumulate a 2nd rounder. We didn’t need to bring in Stepan to be honest though. We could have kept that 2nd and get that extra 2nd.
Galchenyuk wasn’t a good pick up but they got rid of him so to me that’s a nul. They somehow utilized him to get Dzingel (which we really just helped Carolina shed salary in exchange for Paquette so it’s not like it was an incredible move either)

It should have been Gudbranson or Brown. Not both and that extra year of Brown wasn’t necessary for a guy that had still so much left to prove (which isn’t turning out).
I’m gonna remain on the sideline for Murray for now. I think he could still put it together and has shown flashes what he can do. But so far he’s been very inconsistent and looking like a terrible move for Dorion.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I still like the Dadonov move. I don’t think anyone thought he was gonna be a line driver but more of a finisher. He’s just not surrounded with a confident 1st line C. I think we wait till the end of next year to call this a good or bad move.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:

Yeah, the Coburn and Paquette was essentially there for us to accumulate a 2nd rounder. We didn’t need to bring in Stepan to be honest though. We could have kept that 2nd and get that extra 2nd.
Galchenyuk wasn’t a good pick up but they got rid of him so to me that’s a nul. They somehow utilized him to get Dzingel (which we really just helped Carolina shed salary in exchange for Paquette so it’s not like it was an incredible move either)

It should have been Gudbranson or Brown. Not both and that extra year of Brown wasn’t necessary for a guy that had still so much left to prove (which isn’t turning out).
I’m gonna remain on the sideline for Murray for now. I think he could still put it together and has shown flashes what he can do. But so far he’s been very inconsistent and looking like a terrible move for Dorion.

Sure - we got a 2nd for Paquette and Coburn but it cost us a roster spot and we ended up losing Balcers. Or maybe you can argue that Galchenyuk cost us that roster spot - but it's splitting hairs at this point. Stepan wasn't needed but I understood the thought behind it. We overpaid for him and probably would have cost us a 3rd or 4th had we paid his bonus.

I just don't understand Dorion's bargain-bin shopping. Everyone he brought in was an experiment whether it be a no-name player in Josh Brown, a reclamation project in Galchenyuk, Murray coming off two awful seasons, etc. Not sure why they signed Dadonov and Galchenyuk if the rumors of Perry and Toffoli were true. Both superior players with a much better track record. Imagine Perry being a mentor for Tkachuk and Norris, and I bet Toffoli is a much better locker-room guy than Dadonov, not to mention his existing connections with the city. I won't crap on Watson because he's the 12th forward on our roster. I'd like for him to actually hit people and stick up for the younger guys, but I guess he's getting the guys going by blocking shots. Gudbranson better not be retained. I fear he will given our lack of depth at RHD going into next season, but we need to find Chabot a permanent partner.  

It was an atrocious off-season for Dorion and there really is no way to defend it. The only move that has made any sense was Zub and signing him was a crapshoot. And for those defending the Murray signing, please don't. Columbus, NYR, Dallas, etc all have legit 1b goalies that Ottawa could have gotten for the same price or for less. Murray's numbers over the past 2 seasons, not to mention his injury history, don't support the contract we gave him. He has far and away been the worst goalie in the NHL this season, and that can't all be blamed on the defense in front of him.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I hope Ottawa take a serious run at Dougie Hamilton in the off-season.

He's only 27, he makes $6M/year now and given COVID and cap related issues, probably would accept a 3-4 year deal at the same $6M per. The chance to play with Chabot would probably be enticing, he's from Toronto, and I am not sure who else in the league can continue to take on big contracts. Taylor Hall is a perfect example here.

There's a need for someone like Hamilton in Ottawa and I hope they shell out some money to get him. With Anisimov, Stepan, Reilly, Gudbranson, Hogberg, Dzingel, Coburn off the books, the $6M per easily pays for itself; though I would keep Dzingel around if he wanted to stay.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:

Sure - we got a 2nd for Paquette and Coburn but it cost us a roster spot and we ended up losing Balcers. Or maybe you can argue that Galchenyuk cost us that roster spot - but it's splitting hairs at this point. Stepan wasn't needed but I understood the thought behind it. We overpaid for him and probably would have cost us a 3rd or 4th had we paid his bonus.

I just don't understand Dorion's bargain-bin shopping. Everyone he brought in was an experiment whether it be a no-name player in Josh Brown, a reclamation project in Galchenyuk, Murray coming off two awful seasons, etc. Not sure why they signed Dadonov and Galchenyuk if the rumors of Perry and Toffoli were true. Both superior players with a much better track record. Imagine Perry being a mentor for Tkachuk and Norris, and I bet Toffoli is a much better locker-room guy than Dadonov, not to mention his existing connections with the city. I won't crap on Watson because he's the 12th forward on our roster. I'd like for him to actually hit people and stick up for the younger guys, but I guess he's getting the guys going by blocking shots. Gudbranson better not be retained. I fear he will given our lack of depth at RHD going into next season, but we need to find Chabot a permanent partner.  

It was an atrocious off-season for Dorion and there really is no way to defend it. The only move that has made any sense was Zub and signing him was a crapshoot. And for those defending the Murray signing, please don't. Columbus, NYR, Dallas, etc all have legit 1b goalies that Ottawa could have gotten for the same price or for less. Murray's numbers over the past 2 seasons, not to mention his injury history, don't support the contract we gave him. He has far and away been the worst goalie in the NHL this season, and that can't all be blamed on the defense in front of him.

Murray hasn’t been good but the people claiming Daccord has been far superior are out to lunch based on the numbers. The point people make about Murray is it’s way too early to say he’s a complete bust, he’s barely played a quarter of a normal full season. The term is what the problem is with his deal, not the dollar amount as he was going to get something like that anywhere

They were interested in Toffoli but why would he have chosen Ottawa over Montreal? That’s why they went for Dadonov, who was a good signing even if he doesn’t work out as expected

Watson has been awesome, real good energy guy and a warrior

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:

I think it’s a good point to point out that Balcers was pushed out to make room for guys like galchenyuk. IMO Balcers had a better chance to pan out as a player than Gal.

I think that we always had a good chance to sign Zib in Ottawa as we were the team with the easiest path to getting to play in the NHL.

I think a partner for Chabot might wind up being Zub for the next few years. Zaitsev could drop down to the 2nd pairing next year and you might see JBD fight for a spot with Brown on the 3rd pairing. It’s not the prettiest right side but until the kids can grab those spot, zaitsev will be in the mix.

Seems to me tht Chabot, Brannstrom and someone else if not Wolanin will likely be on the left for next year until Sanderson can make the jump

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 67]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 34 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum