GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+4
wprager
tim1_2
Ev
DefenceWinsChampionships
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 53 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 40 of 67]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Hobiesens wrote:
wprager wrote:
Ev wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Good thing J. Brown and Sabourin are in the lineup tonight Facepalm

This is a game I won't be watching. I've officially lost interest in Sens hockey

If that’s the reason you won’t watch that’s pretty sad man

For me it's the 9:30 start time.

You're in luck, it's a 9:00pm start time.

I actually ended up watching the whole thing. Started from the start but when the game was in the intermission live. Caught up to live with about 10 to go in the game. Murray was good. Paul with a nice move on his second. Coleman should get a call from DoPS for that chicken wing on Zub. But, of course, he won't. Why didn't Sabourin leave his fists (and head) packed away until that time, when it was actually needed? Any news on either of them?

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Sabourin dislocated his finger "fighting" Lucic. Why would he agree to the fight when they are up 2-0, especially against a heavyweight? Stupid. Has Stutzle got the results of his second test? If he tests negative he can play tomorrow against the Oilers.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Sabourin's finger looks gnarly. A pretty pointless injury IMO.

I watched some of the game. Very happy for Matt Murray. He got run into and I thought "here we go again" but he stayed in and was excellent. JBD and Brannstrom were excellent - Brann's puck-moving is definitely something this team needs on a full-time basis. Josh Brown continues to be a plug. I saw him miss several d to d passes with minimal pressure and make bad plays behind the net. Hopefully he's out of here sooner than later.

Hobiesens

Hobiesens
Sophomore
Sophomore

It was a good game and I was impressed that they pushed hard 'til the end. Brannstrom did well considering J Brown handles the puck like it's a grenade.

Let's hope Stutzle gets into the game on Saturday. Tomorrow is also his birthday.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Poor Sabourin man. I know people will say that's a pointless fight or whatever, but people need to also understand that this is how he got into the NHL, it's what he knows, and he ain't going to change. Anyone that willingly drops the gloves with Lucic is taking a big risk, that dude is a gorilla. And then to have to continue fighting when your right hand gets f'd up...yikes. He made it out alive though, good for him.

Good game otherwise...sucks for Forsberg that his hot streak got interrupted by all the COVID stuff, but nice to see Murray actually play well. Hopefully it lasts this time.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:Poor Sabourin man.  I know people will say that's a pointless fight or whatever, but people need to also understand that this is how he got into the NHL, it's what he knows, and he ain't going to change. Anyone that willingly drops the gloves with Lucic is taking a big risk, that dude is a gorilla. And then to have to continue fighting when your right hand gets f'd up...yikes.  He made it out alive though, good for him.

Good game otherwise...sucks for Forsberg that his hot streak got interrupted by all the COVID stuff, but nice to see Murray actually play well.  Hopefully it lasts this time.

Forsberg's hot streak shouldn't really matter. It's way more important to get Matt Murray going. Forsberg will be gone on or before the trade deadline. Murray's here to stay with Colin White being the player that will be bought out this off-season.

I get that Sabourin's thing is fighting but up 2-0 against Lucic only puts momentum in Calgary's favour. He's lucky he got out of there alive because he was fed a lot of direct punches to the face. It's unfortunate an injury is what forces him out of the lineup. I'd take Shaw, Bishop, Gaudette, etc ahead of him every day of the week. He was in the lineup for "toughness" since Calgary is a physical team (according to DJ Smith). The Sens lead the league in hits per game (27.93) with Calgary ranked 14th at 22.79. They're also middle of the pack in PIMs/game. Nothing here suggests that they're a physical team. Lucic, Zadorov, and Gudbransson are their only physical players and all three barely see the ice.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:Poor Sabourin man.  I know people will say that's a pointless fight or whatever, but people need to also understand that this is how he got into the NHL, it's what he knows, and he ain't going to change. Anyone that willingly drops the gloves with Lucic is taking a big risk, that dude is a gorilla. And then to have to continue fighting when your right hand gets f'd up...yikes.  He made it out alive though, good for him.

Good game otherwise...sucks for Forsberg that his hot streak got interrupted by all the COVID stuff, but nice to see Murray actually play well.  Hopefully it lasts this time.

Forsberg's hot streak shouldn't really matter. It's way more important to get Matt Murray going. Forsberg will be gone on or before the trade deadline. Murray's here to stay with Colin White being the player that will be bought out this off-season.

I get that Sabourin's thing is fighting but up 2-0 against Lucic only puts momentum in Calgary's favour. He's lucky he got out of there alive because he was fed a lot of direct punches to the face. It's unfortunate an injury is what forces him out of the lineup. I'd take Shaw, Bishop, Gaudette, etc ahead of him every day of the week. He was in the lineup for "toughness" since Calgary is a physical team (according to DJ Smith). The Sens lead the league in hits per game (27.93) with Calgary ranked 14th at 22.79. They're also middle of the pack in PIMs/game. Nothing here suggests that they're a physical team. Lucic, Zadorov, and Gudbransson are their only physical players and all three barely see the ice.

So you're complaining about the lineup we used to smoke a good team after an incredibly long weird layoff. You think you know that Calgary isn't a physical team based on their hits per game and PIMs per game, and think this gives a better indicator than the work DJ Smith and his coaching staff did scouting and game-planning.

I think this coaching staff has earned some benefit of the doubt here.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Connor Brown has a busted jaw and will be out a while. It broke in the pregame warmup, he took a puck to it off the crossbar. Played the game, discovered it was busted afterward.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:

So you're complaining about the lineup we used to smoke a good team after an incredibly long weird layoff.  You think you know that Calgary isn't a physical team based on their hits per game and PIMs per game, and think this gives a better indicator than the work DJ Smith and his coaching staff did scouting and game-planning.

Short answer: YES

Longer answer: DJ has made a lot of very questionable (outrageous, some might say) personnel decisions since he's been here. He called Zaitsev "elite" and was instrumental in bringing him here. I suspect he also had a say in bringing in Gudbranson and Coburn, and most definitely J. Brown. He admitted to having completely misjudged Zub at the start of last season. He's never given Brannstrom a real chance. It was under his watch that we lost DeMelo and Wolanin for nothing. Simply put, he loves the types of players that he used to be himself, the type of player that is dying out in today's NHL.

One Austin Watson in the lineup is enough. Add in Josh Brown and you *really* do not need Sabourin. There are no more teams like the '70s Flyers around. And not only can Sabouring not play very well, he's also not very good at fighting -- just willing to do it. Last night Sanford declined an invite and we got a power-play out of it. It does work, sometimes. And as for fighting, I would have much rather Sabourin dropped the mitts after Coleman elbowed Zub when it was 4-1, than accept Lucic's invitation when up 2-0. Lucic is a vet, I'm sure he would have understood "Hey man, we're up 2-0, I have no reason to fight you" (especially if said loud enough for the stripes to hear).

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:Connor Brown has a busted jaw and will be out a while.  It broke in the pregame warmup, he took a puck to it off the crossbar.  Played the game, discovered it was busted afterward.

That sucks. Do you know if it's an actual break or a busted tooth (I took a softball to the face once and 2 teeth were bent inward but still attached to the jaw-line, so it was *technically* a broken jaw). If it's more than a hairline they might have to wire it shut and then it will really suck (as in suck your meals through a straw).

Hobiesens

Hobiesens
Sophomore
Sophomore

wprager wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:Connor Brown has a busted jaw and will be out a while.  It broke in the pregame warmup, he took a puck to it off the crossbar.  Played the game, discovered it was busted afterward.

That sucks.  Do you know if it's an actual break or a busted tooth (I took a softball to the face once and 2 teeth were bent inward but still attached to the jaw-line, so it was *technically* a broken jaw).  If it's more than a hairline they might have to wire it shut and then it will really suck (as in suck your meals through a straw).

In the postgame interview he mentioned that Chabot took the shot that went off the crossbar and hit him. He then said that Chabot owes him a bottle of wine, now that's it's broken it may be a full case of wine.

Good time to bring in a particular Russian who shoots right? I think Kuzmenko actually plays LW though.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

So you're complaining about the lineup we used to smoke a good team after an incredibly long weird layoff.  You think you know that Calgary isn't a physical team based on their hits per game and PIMs per game, and think this gives a better indicator than the work DJ Smith and his coaching staff did scouting and game-planning.

Short answer: YES

Longer answer: DJ has made a lot of very questionable (outrageous, some might say) personnel decisions since he's been here.  He called Zaitsev "elite" and was instrumental in bringing him here.  I suspect he also had a say in bringing in Gudbranson and Coburn, and most definitely J. Brown.  He admitted to having completely misjudged Zub at the start of last season.  He's never given Brannstrom a real chance.  It was under his watch that we lost DeMelo and Wolanin for nothing.  Simply put, he loves the types of players that he used to be himself, the type of player that is dying out in today's NHL.  

One Austin Watson in the lineup is enough.  Add in Josh Brown and you *really* do not need Sabourin.  There are no more teams like the '70s Flyers around.  And not only can Sabouring not play very well, he's also not very good at fighting -- just willing to do it.  Last night Sanford declined an invite and we got a power-play out of it.  It does work, sometimes.  And as for fighting, I would have much rather Sabourin dropped the mitts after Coleman elbowed Zub when it was 4-1, than accept Lucic's invitation when up 2-0.  Lucic is a vet, I'm sure he would have understood "Hey man, we're up 2-0, I have no reason to fight you" (especially if said loud enough for the stripes to hear).

Took the words right out of my mouth. Thanks Walter.

Watson and J. Brown should be enough of a deterrent against a league average physical team. That's why they're in the lineup. The Sens shouldn't also have to dress players to match other teams' styles. A good team dictates the play - they don't react to it. The "Calgary is a physical team" angle was the reason behind the decision to dress Sabourin. If you want to dress him then fine, but don't make things up.

Also to your point, Tim, Calgary isn't a good team. They're on a 4 game losing streak and have 2 wins in their last 10 games. They're coming back to Earth after a decent start to the season. We also had their number last year. They're the equivalent of putting lipstick on a pig.

Listen - I think the Sens as a team are at a point where they know what they are. They're a bubble bubble playoff team who is about to get decimated by a crazy schedule. They should be calling up Thomson and playing him ahead of J. Brown - no question about that. Keep him up here and play him until Zaitsev is back. Why we keep dressing a goon who can't even goon is beyond me. The only logical explanation is DJ is trying to get his guy his next contract. This is why, speaking to my comment yesterday, I've become disinterested in watching the Sens. We have a fun first line, a few decent players in the middle-six, and the rest of the lineup is fringe NHLers. I'd be much more interested in watching Sokolov, Jarventie, Thomson, Kastelic, Kelly, etc and getting Del Zotto in the lineup than most of what Ottawa is dressing these days. Where's Chris Tierney been? He's had 1 assist since Dec 1st and 3 points since November 1st. Maybe it's time he get some press-box action and allow Bishop, Shaw or Kastelic a chance. Why aren't we dressing Kastelic or Reinhardt ahead of Sabourin? Play the players who have a future here

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

The players in Belleville are not ready for nhl action. The only reason Sabourin or whoever else plays is because of this. They have a future in Ottawa but certainly not right now

Sabourin fighting lucic would be applauded in that room 100%. That takes guts and the team won the game.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Lucic has been in 4 fights all year. If he was running around hitting people and playing dirty then I would agree that standing up to him was beneficial to the team. He played 13 mins, had 2 shots, and had 4 hits all game. Sabourin got baited into a fight that he knew he wasn't going to win and lost. Did zero for the team and gave momentum to Calgary. All Sabourin has to show for it was a broken finger and I guess applause from his teammates? Not worth it. Block a Dung, make a big hit, etc. Don't get baited into a fight because "that's your role" and get your @$$ handed to you

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

If it was Tom Wilson running guys into the boards I'd agree. But Lucic is big and slow and is not going to catch too many people.  He *wasn't* running around and running guys into the boards.  *He* is the one who approached Sabourin with the express purpose of firing up his guys when they were down 0-2.  Now, if Sabourin had even a 50/50 chance of holding his own and perhaps even winning the fight then I could accept it as something other than stupidity.  But he lost the fight, lost it pretty badly, hasn't won any (not that I have seen) lately, and the outcome of that fight could only have been negative for the Senators.  There was zero advantage possible in accepting a fight when you had no reason to do so and no hope of winning.

EDIT: Sorry, I just read DWC's post and realized that I said almost exactly the same thing.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:If it was Tom Wilson running guys into the boards I'd agree. But Lucic is big and slow and is not going to catch too many people.  He *wasn't* running around and running guys into the boards.  *He* is the one who approached Sabourin with the express purpose of firing up his guys when they were down 0-2.  Now, if Sabourin had even a 50/50 chance of holding his own and perhaps even winning the fight then I could accept it as something other than stupidity.  But he lost the fight, lost it pretty badly, hasn't won any (not that I have seen) lately, and the outcome of that fight could only have been negative for the Senators.  There was zero advantage possible in accepting a fight when you had no reason to do so and no hope of winning.

EDIT: Sorry, I just read DWC's post and realized that I said almost exactly the same thing.

Two peas in a pod

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I have no idea if Tim Stützle can play or not. Garrioch's article from 3 days ago said he has to self-isolate in a Calgary hotel until Sunday, making him ineligible to play either game in Alberta. CBS Sports article from 2 day ago suggests that, if he tests negative, he can play on Sunday night.

He tested positive Tuesday night, NHL protocol says 5 days self-isolation, so maybe he is eligible to come back Sunday? But Garrioch's article was worded funny, that he had to self-isolate in a Calgary hotel until Sunday night. So maybe Alberta has rules about traveling while self-isolating.

We could sure use Jimmy Stu with Brown out.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Bruce just tweeted that if he tested negative yesterday he can play tonight. And he used the umlaut in his tweet! "Stützle".

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 40 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 53 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum