GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GM Hockey » Ottawa Senators » Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 18 ... 23  Next

Go down  Message [Page 13 of 23]

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star
This draft is pretty wide open. No clear cut #1. I'm honestly happy with anything in the top 8.

Will get one of: Powers, Hughes, Clarke, beniers, Guenther, edvinsson, Eklund, Johnson, lysell. Don't want Raty or Wallstedt and would prefer not to draft a LHD but I'm losing a little faith in Brannstrom personally. Nothing to do with his skill but his size a big problem.

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:This draft is pretty wide open. No clear cut #1. I'm honestly happy with anything in the top 8.

Will get one of: Powers, Hughes, Clarke, beniers, Guenther, edvinsson, Eklund, Johnson, lysell. Don't want Raty or Wallstedt and would prefer not to draft a LHD but I'm losing a little faith in Brannstrom personally. Nothing to do with his skill but his size a big problem.

I have my preferences. Especially if we hope the sens don't get swayed into drafting a Dman.
I'd like first crack at Eklund or Johnsson. Bernier, not so much.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star
I sort of want to pick up Turris off waiver. Weird ?

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I sort of want to pick up Turris off waiver. Weird ?

Yes weird. I was curious when he was in Nashville but he hasn’t looked good enough in Edmonton either.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
So glad to be done with the Oilers. I've developed a real hate and not a single playoff game has been played. Also the reffing in a couple of the games was sub-par (and that's saying something). Interference on Chabot not called then seconds later they call interference on the Sens d-man who was checking the guy a second after he dumped the puck in. Boarding on Dzingel not called, throat punch from Draisaitl not called, third man in a fight on Nurse not called -- somehow with all that going on there's just one call to the Sens? Weird.

I remember back in the good old days the refs often seemed to favor the less skilled players. Like Hossa would have to crash his way through a dense forest of sticks, arms, legs and nothing was called. Then he would lift his stick at a less skillful player skating away, barely touching him, and they'd call hooking. Today it looks like they often favor skilled players. McDavid head hunting should have been 2 games, he gets a $5K fine (I don't care that KK got right back up -- that was an extremely deliberate elbow to the head). Wilson got 7 games for a hit which one of the Boston based analysts on twitter actually said was clean.

Consistently inconsistent.

Speaking of which, bring on the Leafs!

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Damnit! I wish I could have watched the game. Would have loved to seen the Connor brown goal.

So who was it that was complaining about Connor again? 🧐

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Well I can’t imagine Savard coming back next year with Tampa. Too high a cap hit on a new deal.
Would have loved him on the sens a few years ago. I don’t know that he could still be that guy to pair with Chabot but he’s an interesting case none the less. Could he be for a year or two? Could Zub fit into that top pairing role with Chabot in a year or so and then move Savard down the line up?

I can’t say I’m not intrigued by the thought.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star
Flo The Action wrote:Damnit! I wish I could have watched the game. Would have loved to seen the Connor brown goal.

It was me. I still don't think he's a top six and the majority of his goals this season have been on this stretch but I'll admit I was wrong

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Flo The Action wrote:Damnit! I wish I could have watched the game. Would have loved to seen the Connor brown goal.

Was anyone? I think Tierney is this year's whipping boy. I have a feeling he's playing injured because he just doesn't seem to have a second gear, let alone a third. Stutzle had a quick lesson after scoring his goal and then wearing the goat horns a few seconds later. He fell down a few times (including that play) so maybe there's a technical problem with the skates. Paul said that he was told this year he had been playing with boots that were too big -- he's certainly skating a hell of a lot better than before. I keep hearing "Poor man's Stone" and I agree. If that is a bottom-6 player on your team you're going places.

I said this on twitter and I'll ask again here. If you replace Tierney with Pinto and Gudbranson with JBD, is that still a 6-5 loss against the Division leading team? Nylander replacing Galchenyuk would make a difference, true, but would it be enough? And will we even have Nylander and Marner and Matthews all in the lineup for much longer? They have 7F+4D+2G under contract for next season with $13.4M cap space. Hyman is UFA and would likely get $4M+ on the open market. That leaves a little over $9M for 4F+2D and that's assuming they go with Campbell-Hutchinson in goal. Will Spezza re-sing for another league-minimum contract (definitely worth it)? I don't think they hang on to Thornton and Simmonds. They will likely have to go with a couple rookies/sophomores both at forward and on D just so they have a bit of room for trade deadline. Nylander at nearly $7M AAV will not be easy to move (although if they pay out his bonus that leaves $14M over 3 years in actual money -- that would be a good deal, provided the receiving team has the cap space). I think they will either have to move Nylander or let Hyman go for nothing -- either way, their roster next year will not be very different from what we saw last night.

So I'll ask again: Pinto replacing Tierney and JBD replacing Gudbranson (or Coburn or both) -- is that enough to change the 6-5 outcome?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Senators can hang with the Leafs and Habs. Sabres will be a doormat. RedWings will be what Ottawa was this past season. I still have no faith in Florida despite their fairly ok season this year. Boston is due for a little regression as their core continues to get older. Tampa, really, is the only team that scares me. I think there's a really good chance we are right in the hunt for a playoff spot next season.

All that, of course, assumes that Murray doesn't continue to play like crap.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
wprager wrote:Senators can hang with the Leafs and Habs.  Sabres will be a doormat.  RedWings will be what Ottawa was this past season.  I still have no faith in Florida despite their fairly ok season this year.  Boston is due for a little regression as their core continues to get older.  Tampa, really, is the only team that scares me.  I think there's a really good chance we are right in the hunt for a playoff spot next season.

All that, of course, assumes that Murray doesn't continue to play like crap.

Well it’s hard to tell because the Habs have also young players that could improve and then who knows what trades or moves could be done.
Also what do teams do with the Seattle expansion. Could they work it to their advantage by working a deal with the kraken?

The only likelihood is that Buffalo and Detroit should be worse than us.

We could be fighting for a wildcard spot though

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Kinda surprised that sens sign goloubef to a two way. The sens could use some experienced D For the Belleville team so maybe that’s why.

There are so many guys hitting the waiver wire that if it’s for the big club in order to trade a couple of guys they could have picked up someone else. Pissing momtreal off and grabbing Victor Mete comes to mind,

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star
Flo The Action wrote:Kinda surprised that sens sign goloubef to a two way. The sens could use some experienced D For the Belleville team so maybe that’s why.

There are so many guys hitting the waiver wire that if it’s for the big club in order to trade a couple of guys they could have picked up someone else. Pissing momtreal off and grabbing Victor Mete comes to mind,

We should 100% be picking up Mete. 120% for that matter. I don't see a scenario where he clears.

Not sure if it was mentioned but Amadio looked pretty decent last night

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star
wprager wrote:

Was anyone?  I think Tierney is this year's whipping boy.  I have a feeling he's playing injured because he just doesn't seem to have a second gear, let alone a third.  Stutzle had a quick lesson after scoring his goal and then wearing the goat horns a few seconds later.  He fell down a few times (including that play) so maybe there's a technical problem with the skates.  Paul said that he was told this year he had been playing with boots that were too big -- he's certainly skating a hell of a lot better than before.  I keep hearing "Poor man's Stone" and I agree.  If that is a bottom-6 player on your team you're going places.

I said this on twitter and I'll ask again here.  If you replace Tierney with Pinto and Gudbranson with JBD, is that still a 6-5 loss against the Division leading team?  Nylander replacing Galchenyuk would make a difference, true, but would it be enough?  And will we even have Nylander and Marner and Matthews all in the lineup for much longer?  They have 7F+4D+2G under contract for next season with $13.4M cap space.  Hyman is UFA and would likely get $4M+ on the open market.  That leaves a little over $9M for 4F+2D and that's assuming they go with Campbell-Hutchinson in goal.  Will Spezza re-sing for another league-minimum contract (definitely worth it)?  I don't think they hang on to Thornton and Simmonds.  They will likely have to go with a couple rookies/sophomores both at forward and on D just so they have a bit of room for trade deadline.  Nylander at nearly $7M AAV will not be easy to move (although if they pay out his bonus that leaves $14M over 3 years in actual money -- that would be a good deal, provided the receiving team has the cap space).  I think they will either have to move Nylander or let Hyman go for nothing -- either way, their roster next year will not be very different from what we saw last night.

So I'll ask again: Pinto replacing Tierney and JBD replacing Gudbranson (or Coburn or both) -- is that enough to change the 6-5 outcome?

Tierney was a giveaway machine last night. I think if you replace Tierney with Pinto the Sens are better.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Here's the problem I see happening. Norris has overachieved this season -- in a large way. But does anyone see either him or Pinto as a legit 1LC? Neither one -- nor Stutzle, for that matter -- have the size you want in a #1. We've got size on the wings with Brady and Drake but not so much down the middle. Unless anyone thinks Paul can continue to improve and/or Brown finally has an injury-free development year. I'm not holding my breath.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
wprager wrote:Here's the problem I see happening.  Norris has overachieved this season -- in a large way.  But does anyone see either him or Pinto as a legit 1LC?  Neither one -- nor Stutzle, for that matter -- have the size you want in a #1.  We've got size on the wings with Brady and Drake but not so much down the middle.  Unless anyone thinks Paul can continue to improve and/or Brown finally has an injury-free development year.  I'm not holding my breath.

I don’t see stützle as being a C either. A damn good winger though.

We still have a spot open on that 1st line down the middle.
Unless a team desperately needs to clear cap space and can part with one, I don’t see us filling that need this summer.
Norris is a 2nd line C currently filling in on the top line but that’s not a solution. Pinto will start in Belleville. Logan B will likely not be having an NHL career with this organization.

Maybe a year from now, when Brannstrom has created a spot for himself in the line-up, Ottawa will package him with a 1st for an established young potential Top line C. There are sometimes cases like the Pierre Luc Dubois opens up.

Maybe Dorion should call Calgary about monahan. Wouldn’t be my first choice but he’s not their number 1 anymore and that whole group needs a shake up.
I feel like it’s Gaudreau that’s getting moved though.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Maybe there is a trade to be made with Brannstrom, for one of the young prospects in LA’s system. Turcotte underwhelmed a little and might be at an all time low in terms of cost to acquire.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
wprager wrote:Here's the problem I see happening.  Norris has overachieved this season -- in a large way.  But does anyone see either him or Pinto as a legit 1LC?  Neither one -- nor Stutzle, for that matter -- have the size you want in a #1.  We've got size on the wings with Brady and Drake but not so much down the middle.  Unless anyone thinks Paul can continue to improve and/or Brown finally has an injury-free development year.  I'm not holding my breath.

Disagree on both points. Norris has not overachieved if you’ve been tracking his development. I expected this out of him and he’ll be a very good 2C for us. Stutzle will become a centre IMO and he’ll be a #1 by default. He has the height, he just needs to get stronger. He will. He can control the puck and dictate play like a centre. Unless they get a star C in a trade, he will be the guy. Norris and Stutzle are both 6’1. That’s plenty tall, they will add on size.

Also Pinto is bigger than both, he has a large frame and can play both ends of the rink. He also has 2C upside but can be a star 3C for us if we have two other Cs ahead of him.

We don’t have any small or short players at C in the system so I’m not sure what you’re getting at

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 13 of 23]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 18 ... 23  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum