GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GM Hockey » Ottawa Senators » Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 36 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 67]

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
To be honest it scares me a little to see Stuetzle in the NHL in a top 6 forward position. Not with the problems in his game. Not for him to get used to the NA game and not to develop at the C position.
He's better off playing in the AHL TBH, much more than in Europe.

I see Norris and/or Brown making the league way ahead of him. and both those other guys need to come into camp and steal that spot.

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Galchenyuk was brought in for no reason other than to insulate our prospects. Is Stutzle NHL ready? Probably not. Can Norris, L. Brown, or Batherson handle consistent top-six minutes against other team's best lines? Probably not. Galchenyuk pushes one of these guys down the lineup. It takes a ton of pressure off their shoulders, and puts them in a better place to succeed. If they line Galchenyuk up as the 2C, then Norris replaces him at the deadline or next season, and you can start L.Brown as 3C and manage his minutes.

It's the same concept as bringing in Gudbranson. You need these role players to come in and do a specific job for a short period of time. It buys the prospects a little more time to develop the right way. I much rather see Batherson and L.Brown on the third line playing together and getting a lot of PP time vs getting their confidence destroyed in positions they can't succeed in. And if it means you start Norris on the wing or in the minors then fine. Same goes for Stutzle. Let him earn his spot. He's not entitled to anything and needs to learn how to play hockey the north American way - ie: fight for space, win board battles, and get punished for standing in front of the net.

All in all, it's not about who we brought in but rather why we brought him in. Similar situation as Duclair. He's either a great reclamation project or he works his way down and out of the lineup come the end of the season.

Stutzle will be in the lineup if he can come over. That's the only debate with him IMO. You can say earn your spot, but top guys like that don't have to. What I mean is they are always given a spot and they keep it unless they can't handle it, whereas other guys need to work their way up.

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Ev wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Galchenyuk was brought in for no reason other than to insulate our prospects. Is Stutzle NHL ready? Probably not. Can Norris, L. Brown, or Batherson handle consistent top-six minutes against other team's best lines? Probably not. Galchenyuk pushes one of these guys down the lineup. It takes a ton of pressure off their shoulders, and puts them in a better place to succeed. If they line Galchenyuk up as the 2C, then Norris replaces him at the deadline or next season, and you can start L.Brown as 3C and manage his minutes.

It's the same concept as bringing in Gudbranson. You need these role players to come in and do a specific job for a short period of time. It buys the prospects a little more time to develop the right way. I much rather see Batherson and L.Brown on the third line playing together and getting a lot of PP time vs getting their confidence destroyed in positions they can't succeed in. And if it means you start Norris on the wing or in the minors then fine. Same goes for Stutzle. Let him earn his spot. He's not entitled to anything and needs to learn how to play hockey the north American way - ie: fight for space, win board battles, and get punished for standing in front of the net.

All in all, it's not about who we brought in but rather why we brought him in. Similar situation as Duclair. He's either a great reclamation project or he works his way down and out of the lineup come the end of the season.

Stutzle will be in the lineup if he can come over. That's the only debate with him IMO. You can say earn your spot, but top guys like that don't have to. What I mean is they are always given a spot and they keep it unless they can't handle it, whereas other guys need to work their way up.

that guy has high-end skills but there's still much to change in his game for him to be ready and if we want him to someday be a number 1 C, you don't squeeze him in that position from the get go in the NHL. too much for him to learn. You don't develop that at the NHL. he should be eased in.
i guess we'll see.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran
Missing the point. We all know why Galchenyuk and his known potential will do on the ice and to the depth chart.

What I’m laughing at is Dorion flip-flopping his plan yet again after just two weeks ago saying they need to make room for young guys as his excuse for letting some of our guys walk. I concluded with Dorion’s plan is to have no plan and I conclude with it again.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran
And I’m staying away from talking about Stutzle.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star
Flo The Action wrote:To be honest it scares me a little to see Stuetzle in the NHL in a top 6 forward position. Not with the problems in his game. Not for him to get used to the NA game and not to develop at the C position.

I see Norris and/or Brown making the league way ahead of him. and both those other guys need to come into camp and steal that spot.

IMO Batherson is a lock as 2 RW or 3 RW. There is one position for Norris/Brown at 3C and one position for Norris/Abramov/Formenton/Balcers at 3 LW or 4 LW.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Flo The Action wrote:To be honest it scares me a little to see Stuetzle in the NHL in a top 6 forward position. Not with the problems in his game. Not for him to get used to the NA game and not to develop at the C position.

AHL would be way better than Germany but if he’s not in Germany he’ll be in the nhl right away, as a winger to start.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Lagoon wrote:Missing the point. We all know why Galchenyuk and his known potential will do on the ice and to the depth chart.

What I’m laughing at is Dorion flip-flopping his plan yet again after just two weeks ago saying they need to make room for young guys as his excuse for letting some of our guys walk. I concluded with Dorion’s plan is to have no plan and I conclude with it again.

well to be fair, you should rarely listen to what a GM should say when they are in a situation like ottawa says. it gives too much up as leverage, to be honest. you don't want to say you're getting FA because that could put leverage in the agents hands for having spoken out about the intentions.

i'm not sure there's not a plan. on whether its the best or a good one leaves to be reflected on.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Ev wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:Galchenyuk is a diminishing turd.  From numerous accounts, he's a bit of a locker room problem.  Ask Montreal fans about his time in Montreal.  Not much good to say.  Unable to stick in Arizona, Pittsburgh, and Minnesota.

He's been going downhill and unable to stick anywhere.  There is no "potential huge reward" here...if Galchenyuk by some miracle has a great year, he's a huge risk to resign at term and higher $.  More likely, he'd just be traded by the deadline or leave as a free agent next season.  

From the Sens perspective, he's dirt cheap and can provide marginal performance in the top 6 as either a winger or centre (more likely a centre) for one season.  

It has become quite clear that the Sens plan is to be very bad next season and get another high first rounder.  And honestly, this approach is probably better than trying to be a bubble playoff team.....  But let's not insult each other's intelligence and pretend that this is some sort of genius signing.  

I disagree completely to be honest. If that was the plan they wouldn’t have acquired Murray this offseason. The time to purposefully finish at the bottom is over. Sens want to see signs of improvement this season. Who said genius signing? It’s a no risk, medium reward signing. We knew we would make one more move like this

Murray's here for the long-haul, not just next season.  Bringing in filler like J Brown, Gudbranson, and now Galchenyuk is basically equivalent to bringing in Hainsey and Tyler Ennis...they are just filler for the short-term.  I guess the role being forced upon them is just to insulate the kids a bit while the team sucks.  Murray will also win them a few extra games if he returns to form.  Maybe the improvement this year is going from 2nd last the 6th last.  

I think if the goal was to take a big step forward next year, they would've brought in a good defenceman and a good centre.

Again, I'm OK with the idea of being a basement team again next year, and I feel like Dorion's moves reflect that "This is the way". We'll see though...maybe the kids are more ready than I'm giving them credit for.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Seravelli reported we might me interested in perry.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star
Ev wrote:Seravelli reported we might me interested in perry.

I think Perry would be overkill though he'd be an excellent mentor for some of our younger players. I am just not sure where he would fit given the now limited number of spaces on the roster. All of a sudden we're pretty deep at the RW position with Dadonov, Watson, C. Brown, Batherson. White, Abramov, Watson, Balcers and C.Brown can also play LW I guess. Not sure I agree with the move though.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran
He’d be the perfect vet for next years push for a Cup. Go get em Dorion.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
Ev wrote:Seravelli reported we might me interested in perry.

I think Perry would be overkill though he'd be an excellent mentor for some of our younger players. I am just not sure where he would fit given the now limited number of spaces on the roster. All of a sudden we're pretty deep at the RW position with Dadonov, Watson, C. Brown, Batherson. White, Abramov, Watson, Balcers and C.Brown can also play LW I guess. Not sure I agree with the move though.

Depends how many roster spots and injuries there will be. I’ve always wanted perry so would be indifferent

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Great mentor for Tkachuk.

Slow as balls though.

And the rookies need to play, so...probably leave the roster be now.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
i'd be surprised Perry would sign here unless no contenders are interested in him as he would hope to get traded by the deadline.
Maybe Dorion is hoping for another year of development in Belleville for many of our young player.

the sens are chasing the cup... the calder cup.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Corey Perry??

At this point, we have enough lineup filler and want to avoid overcrowding things and pushing kids down the lineup or back to Belleville.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star
He's from Peterborough and played in London. Probably wants to move closer to home, and the leafs don't want him

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star
My money is he signs with Detroit

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 36 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum