GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GM Hockey » Ottawa Senators » Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 35 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 67]

Lagoon

Veteran
Veteran
I don’t understand the positivity here. I’d take Hawryluk and what he brings over Galchenyuk 100 times out of 100. Galchenyuk is a failed experiment over and over again. Sure, the cap hit is right, but how do we go from letting XYZ players go in order to give our prospects the proper role and more TOI to instantly signing and trading for ABC guys so that prospects can earn their limited TOI?

If Dorion has a plan, it is that he doesn’t have one.

I welcome actual discussion.

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Lagoon wrote:I don’t understand the positivity here. I’d take Hawryluk and what he brings over Galchenyuk 100 times out of 100. Galchenyuk is a failed experiment over and over again. Sure, the cap hit is right, but how do we go from letting XYZ players go in order to give our prospects the proper role and more TOI to instantly signing and trading for ABC guys so that prospects can earn their limited TOI?

Is that why Hawlryuk got a two-way deal from Vancouver and will likely be in the AHL for portions of the year? It's not worth having a legit discussion if you can't see the difference between the two players here. We have a bunch of Hawlyruk's already.

I would not like this signing if it was more than one year. He will offer much more offense than a prospect or fringe AHL guy for this season, and we don't have many LW he would be blocking. For 1 year $1 million, that's a steal if he plays like he did a couple of years ago, and a fair price if he just is what he is.

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Galchenyuk is a diminishing turd. From numerous accounts, he's a bit of a locker room problem. Ask Montreal fans about his time in Montreal. Not much good to say. Unable to stick in Arizona, Pittsburgh, and Minnesota.

He's been going downhill and unable to stick anywhere. There is no "potential huge reward" here...if Galchenyuk by some miracle has a great year, he's a huge risk to resign at term and higher $. More likely, he'd just be traded by the deadline or leave as a free agent next season.

From the Sens perspective, he's dirt cheap and can provide marginal performance in the top 6 as either a winger or centre (more likely a centre) for one season.

It has become quite clear that the Sens plan is to be very bad next season and get another high first rounder. And honestly, this approach is probably better than trying to be a bubble playoff team..... But let's not insult each other's intelligence and pretend that this is some sort of genius signing.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Lagoon wrote:I don’t understand the positivity here. I’d take Hawryluk and what he brings over Galchenyuk 100 times out of 100. Galchenyuk is a failed experiment over and over again. Sure, the cap hit is right, but how do we go from letting XYZ players go in order to give our prospects the proper role and more TOI to instantly signing and trading for ABC guys so that prospects can earn their limited TOI?

Easiest answer ever: He's a former 30 goal scorer who will be given a chance to get back to where he was. If he does, we win this and either extend or trade him, if he doesn't he sits and we lose nothing but 1 million dollars - which is close to league minimum

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
tim1_2 wrote:Galchenyuk is a diminishing turd. From numerous accounts, he's a bit of a locker room problem. Ask Montreal fans about his time in Montreal. Not much good to say. Unable to stick in Arizona, Pittsburgh, and Minnesota.

He's been going downhill and unable to stick anywhere. There is no "potential huge reward" here...if Galchenyuk by some miracle has a great year, he's a huge risk to resign at term and higher $. More likely, he'd just be traded by the deadline or leave as a free agent next season.

From the Sens perspective, he's dirt cheap and can provide marginal performance in the top 6 as either a winger or centre (more likely a centre) for one season.

It has become quite clear that the Sens plan is to be very bad next season and get another high first rounder. And honestly, this approach is probably better than trying to be a bubble playoff team..... But let's not insult each other's intelligence and pretend that this is some sort of genius signing.

I disagree completely to be honest. If that was the plan they wouldn’t have acquired Murray this offseason. The time to purposefully finish at the bottom is over. Sens want to see signs of improvement this season. Who said genius signing? It’s a no risk, medium reward signing. We knew we would make one more move like this

Last edited by Ev on Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
PTFlea wrote:

Easiest answer ever: He's a former 30 goal scorer who will be given a chance to get back to where he was. If he does, we win this and either extend or trade him, if he doesn't he sits and we lose nothing but 1 million dollars - which is close to league minimum

He doesn’t have to be nearly that good though. He could be like Ennis and get a late pick at the deadline while filling in as a scoring guy on the LW. I like the move if he doesn’t even improve from last year

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran
That’s exactly it. Galchenyuk is what he is. So why bring him in when we have so many unknown potential in players we need to see? Eventually we are going to have all our ELC’s run out and we won’t know what the Diddle we have. That of course leads to improper pro-scouting, contracts, decisions on players we should have been able to get a read on. But that’s nothing new for Ottawa so carry on I guess. Ottawa is doing it right apparently.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran
tim1_2 wrote:Galchenyuk is a diminishing turd.  From numerous accounts, he's a bit of a locker room problem.  Ask Montreal fans about his time in Montreal.  Not much good to say.  Unable to stick in Arizona, Pittsburgh, and Minnesota.

He's been going downhill and unable to stick anywhere.  There is no "potential huge reward" here...if Galchenyuk by some miracle has a great year, he's a huge risk to resign at term and higher $.  More likely, he'd just be traded by the deadline or leave as a free agent next season.  

It has become quite clear that the Sens plan is to be very bad next season and get another high first rounder.  And honestly, this approach is probably better than trying to be a bubble playoff team.....  But let's not insult each other's intelligence and pretend that this is some sort of genius signing.  

And Bingo was his name o

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran
Ev wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:Galchenyuk is a diminishing turd.  From numerous accounts, he's a bit of a locker room problem.  Ask Montreal fans about his time in Montreal.  Not much good to say.  Unable to stick in Arizona, Pittsburgh, and Minnesota.

He's been going downhill and unable to stick anywhere.  There is no "potential huge reward" here...if Galchenyuk by some miracle has a great year, he's a huge risk to resign at term and higher $.  More likely, he'd just be traded by the deadline or leave as a free agent next season.  

It has become quite clear that the Sens plan is to be very bad next season and get another high first rounder.  And honestly, this approach is probably better than trying to be a bubble playoff team.....  But let's not insult each other's intelligence and pretend that this is some sort of genius signing.  

I disagree completely to be honest. If that was the plan they wouldn’t have acquired Murray this offseason. The time to purposefully finish at the bottom is over. Sens want to see signs of improvement this season. Who said genius signing? It’s a no risk, medium reward signing. We knew we would make one more move like this

Actually no. You guys were expecting Toews or Martin or Cirelli. Laughing3

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Lagoon wrote:
Ev wrote:

If you thought I actually thought we could get toews, you don’t have a sense of humour. I was never serious.

Matt Martin sure. We got a much better player in free agency though...

Personally have no interest in Cirelli unless it’s a cheap trade

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Lagoon wrote:That’s exactly it. Galchenyuk is what he is. So why bring him in when we have so many unknown potential in players we need to see? Eventually we are going to have all our ELC’s run out and we won’t know what the Diddle we have. That of course leads to improper pro-scouting, contracts, decisions on players we should have been able to get a read on. But that’s nothing new for Ottawa so carry on I guess. Ottawa is doing it right apparently.

Because he won’t be blocking anyone important and at his price you can just put him in the press box if he’s bad. Guys will be heavily rotated this year

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran
Ev wrote:
Lagoon wrote:
Ev wrote:

If you thought I actually thought we could get toews, you don’t have a sense of humour. I was never serious.

Matt Martin sure. We got a much better player in free agency though...

Personally have no interest in Cirelli unless it’s a cheap trade

I’m extremely funny.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
listen, this season is what it is.
we aren't gonna marginally contend for a playoff spot. we don't want to just hand over spots in the line-up to youth without competition. we'd like to get some assets at the deadline if possible.

Galchenyuk costs us barely anything and if we get lucky he finds a bit of his game and can net us a 2nd or 3rd rounder.
creates competition for a spot.
leaves guys to develop a little longer. probably helps keeps contracts down. maybe takes guys out of becoming available for Seattle if they don't get their 40 games in.

this is an off-year, it will be exciting to watch some of the youth make the roster and we still get to draft pretty high and get excited about a good 1st.

I see very little problems here. it's true Galchenyuk has a bad reputation from his time in Montreal. that was then, this is now. same was said about Duclair.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star
Galchenyuk was brought in for no reason other than to insulate our prospects. Is Stutzle NHL ready? Probably not. Can Norris, L. Brown, or Batherson handle consistent top-six minutes against other team's best lines? Probably not. Galchenyuk pushes one of these guys down the lineup. It takes a ton of pressure off their shoulders, and puts them in a better place to succeed. If they line Galchenyuk up as the 2C, then Norris replaces him at the deadline or next season, and you can start L.Brown as 3C and manage his minutes.

It's the same concept as bringing in Gudbranson. You need these role players to come in and do a specific job for a short period of time. It buys the prospects a little more time to develop the right way. I much rather see Batherson and L.Brown on the third line playing together and getting a lot of PP time vs getting their confidence destroyed in positions they can't succeed in. And if it means you start Norris on the wing or in the minors then fine. Same goes for Stutzle. Let him earn his spot. He's not entitled to anything and needs to learn how to play hockey the north American way - ie: fight for space, win board battles, and get punished for standing in front of the net.

All in all, it's not about who we brought in but rather why we brought him in. Similar situation as Duclair. He's either a great reclamation project or he works his way down and out of the lineup come the end of the season.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Galchenyuk was brought in for no reason other than to insulate our prospects. Is Stutzle NHL ready? Probably not. Can Norris, L. Brown, or Batherson handle consistent top-six minutes against other team's best lines? Probably not. Galchenyuk pushes one of these guys down the lineup. It takes a ton of pressure off their shoulders, and puts them in a better place to succeed. If they line Galchenyuk up as the 2C, then Norris replaces him at the deadline or next season, and you can start L.Brown as 3C and manage his minutes.

It's the same concept as bringing in Gudbranson. You need these role players to come in and do a specific job for a short period of time. It buys the prospects a little more time to develop the right way. I much rather see Batherson and L.Brown on the third line playing together and getting a lot of PP time vs getting their confidence destroyed in positions they can't succeed in. And if it means you start Norris on the wing or in the minors then fine. Same goes for Stutzle. Let him earn his spot. He's not entitled to anything and needs to learn how to play hockey the north American way - ie: fight for space, win board battles, and get punished for standing in front of the net.

All in all, it's not about who we brought in but rather why we brought him in. Similar situation as Duclair. He's either a great reclamation project or he works his way down and out of the lineup come the end of the season.

exactly.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
To be honest it scares me a little to see Stuetzle in the NHL in a top 6 forward position. Not with the problems in his game. Not for him to get used to the NA game and not to develop at the C position.
He's better off playing in the AHL TBH, much more than in Europe.

I see Norris and/or Brown making the league way ahead of him. and both those other guys need to come into camp and steal that spot.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Galchenyuk was brought in for no reason other than to insulate our prospects. Is Stutzle NHL ready? Probably not. Can Norris, L. Brown, or Batherson handle consistent top-six minutes against other team's best lines? Probably not. Galchenyuk pushes one of these guys down the lineup. It takes a ton of pressure off their shoulders, and puts them in a better place to succeed. If they line Galchenyuk up as the 2C, then Norris replaces him at the deadline or next season, and you can start L.Brown as 3C and manage his minutes.

Stutzle will be in the lineup if he can come over. That's the only debate with him IMO. You can say earn your spot, but top guys like that don't have to. What I mean is they are always given a spot and they keep it unless they can't handle it, whereas other guys need to work their way up.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Ev wrote:

Stutzle will be in the lineup if he can come over. That's the only debate with him IMO. You can say earn your spot, but top guys like that don't have to. What I mean is they are always given a spot and they keep it unless they can't handle it, whereas other guys need to work their way up.

that guy has high-end skills but there's still much to change in his game for him to be ready and if we want him to someday be a number 1 C, you don't squeeze him in that position from the get go in the NHL. too much for him to learn. You don't develop that at the NHL. he should be eased in.
i guess we'll see.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 35 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum