GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+7
wprager
Flo The Action
Lagoon
tim1_2
PTFlea
Ev
DefenceWinsChampionships
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 46 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 26 of 67]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Ok, way too many posts for me to catch up so I skimmed, probably missed a few things.

Stop calling it the "taxi squad"; it's the "Über squad" in Ottawa.

Norris had one for AHL season. To assume he is NHL ready is beyond optimistic. Give him a couple games early on then (most likely scenario) he goes to Belleville until the trade deadline.

Brannstrom probably is not ready, either. They want him on the right side, so play him there in the AHL.

Formenton has NHL speed and not much else. Not yet.

I've liked Chlapik from his Q-days where he led his team in points add PIMs; but he really hasn't shown that kind of play in the pros. Between him and Balcers I think the Sens keep one and, sadly, I don't think it will be Chlapik.

Wolanin missed most of last season. Who knows where his game will be this year. The additions on D are simply insurance, IMO.

There aren't any prospects who are ready that are being blocked.

Ev likes this post

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:Ok, way too many posts for me to catch up so I skimmed, probably missed a few things.

Stop calling it the "taxi squad"; it's the "Über squad" in Ottawa.  

Norris had one for AHL season. To assume he is NHL ready is beyond optimistic. Give him a couple games early on then (most likely scenario) he goes to Belleville until the trade deadline.

Brannstrom probably is not ready, either. They want him on the right side, so play him there in the AHL.

Formenton has NHL speed and not much else. Not yet.

I've liked Chlapik from his Q-days where he led his team in points add PIMs; but he really hasn't shown that kind of play in the pros. Between him and Balcers I think the Sens keep one and, sadly, I don't think it will be Chlapik.

Wolanin missed most of last season.  Who knows where his game will be this year. The additions on D are simply insurance, IMO.

There aren't any prospects who are ready that are being blocked.

What do you mean Formenton has speed and not much else yet? He killed it in his rookie yet in the AHL. People talk a lot about Norris - and they should - but what about Formenton's 53 points in 61 games as a rook? I know lots of guys had good years in the A, but pretty impressive year for him. Plus, he has a ton of grit to go with it.

Balcers is definitely ahead of Chlapik IMO and then there's Abramov, who looked electric in the A as well. Lots of guys can make the jump, but bringing them up slowly never hurt anyone, especially when the sched gets condenced, so I agree, for the most part no one's getting blocked.

Although...I have to admit, I'm disappointed we're not gonna play Brown as 2C, I want to see what he can do. Or I assume we're not...who knows.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

I could be wrong but I still think Formenton has a lot to prove. The B-Sens were a top team despite their D, which means they were stacked up front. Also being the fastest skater is a huge advantage in the AHL, but you need more on the NHL.

As for Brown, I think it's telling that I "forgot" to mention him in my list. I used to be a huge supporter, but right now so I've got are questions - maybe he will answer some of them this year but I'm not holding my breath.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:I could be wrong but I still think Formenton has a lot to prove. The B-Sens were a top team despite their D, which means they were stacked up front. Also being the fastest skater is a huge advantage in the AHL, but you need more on the NHL.

As for Brown, I think it's telling that I "forgot" to mention him in my list. I used to be a huge supporter, but right now so I've got are questions - maybe he will answer some of them this year but I'm not holding my breath.

I don't think you're wrong, but at the same time stacked team or not, I think you have to recognize Formenton's skills at the AHL level. Not everyone could put up numbers like he did - and if he had faltered, there were plenty of guys waiting to take his spot. I'm not sure he can do it at the NHL level, but we'll see...

Why are you down on Brown after a fantastic AHL (shortened due to injury) season? And he looked good in call-ups in Ottawa too. Is it the injuries? Because, that can happen to anyone.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

PTFlea wrote:
wprager wrote:I could be wrong but I still think Formenton has a lot to prove. The B-Sens were a top team despite their D, which means they were stacked up front. Also being the fastest skater is a huge advantage in the AHL, but you need more on the NHL.

I don't think you're wrong, but at the same time stacked team or not, I think you have to recognize Formenton's skills at the AHL level.  Not everyone could put up numbers like he did - and if he had faltered, there were plenty of guys waiting to take his spot.  I'm not sure he can do it at the NHL level, but we'll see...

Why are you down on Brown after a fantastic AHL (shortened due to injury) season?  And he looked good in call-ups in Ottawa too.  Is it the injuries?  Because, that can happen to anyone.  

There is no denying Brown's skill. He just can't seem to catch a break and appears to be made of glass. And his compete level is questionable. Seems to be lacking a killer instinct which makes people of his size so dominant especially in front of the net.

And I'm probably going to receive some flack for this comment but I think Formenton is super underrated as a prospect. He only scored 4 fewer goals than Norris who played primarily with Batherson, Balcers, and Brown for major chunks of the year, and had more game winning and overtime goals. Formenton spent a ton of time in the penalty box which isn't a good look, but also had 6 short-handed points to Norris' 1. He finished 7th in the AHL in scoring, and 2nd for rookies. I think Formenton can surprise and make the team out of camp. There's no denying his speed which even in a bottom six capacity is a huge asset to have.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
PTFlea wrote:

I don't think you're wrong, but at the same time stacked team or not, I think you have to recognize Formenton's skills at the AHL level.  Not everyone could put up numbers like he did - and if he had faltered, there were plenty of guys waiting to take his spot.  I'm not sure he can do it at the NHL level, but we'll see...

Why are you down on Brown after a fantastic AHL (shortened due to injury) season?  And he looked good in call-ups in Ottawa too.  Is it the injuries?  Because, that can happen to anyone.  

There is no denying Brown's skill. He just can't seem to catch a break and appears to be made of glass. And his compete level is questionable. Seems to be lacking a killer instinct which makes people of his size so dominant especially in front of the net.

And I'm probably going to receive some flack for this comment but I think Formenton is super underrated as a prospect. He only scored 4 fewer goals than Norris who played primarily with Batherson, Balcers, and Brown for major chunks of the year, and had more game winning and overtime goals. Formenton spent a ton of time in the penalty box which isn't a good look, but also had 6 short-handed points to Norris' 1. He finished 7th in the AHL in scoring, and 2nd for rookies. I think Formenton can surprise and make the team out of camp. There's no denying his speed which even in a bottom six capacity is a huge asset to have.

As fast as Formenton is and the stats he put up last season, I consider his best quality his ability to get his opponents to focus on him. He’s a supreme agitator.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

https://mobile.twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1344691581614436352

This is a player you trade Brown, 1st, and other prospects for

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Ev wrote:https://mobile.twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1344691581614436352

Yep.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

PTFlea wrote:
Ev wrote:https://mobile.twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1344691581614436352

Yep.

Yep.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

That was quick, he signed today.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Listened to Dorions interview. Who the hell is Shyfield? He clearly meant Scheifele but man that guy is a real tool sometimes. Talked about elite centers in Canadian division and mentioned Horvat and not McDavid? Ugh. Happy new years everyone

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Listened to Dorions interview. Who the hell is Shyfield? He clearly meant Scheifele but man that guy is a real tool sometimes. Talked about elite centers in Canadian division and mentioned Horvat and not McDavid? Ugh. Happy new years everyone

I absolutely think he’s losing his grasp on reality. Doesn’t matter. Nothing he says lasts longer than his next interview. And he’s gone from the NHL when Melnyk is too in my opinion.

Great 1st period by Canada.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

Also, all the players we added that are all assumed to be traded at the deadline, good luck trading them to any of the American divisions. COVID protocols say a big FU to that. Dorion probably didn’t think of that and will be left overpaying for basically everyone he traded for.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Sure he did, he's commented on it several times. He says there'll be a pre deadline deadline

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Just google things.

It’s going to be difficult to make trades with the 24 U.S.-based teams just because every player that crosses the border has to do a 14-day quarantine. And we respect those rules and understand them.

That took 3 seconds

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Lol, Smith called Anisimov our best player so far in camp. Buckle up!

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
PTFlea wrote:
Lagoon wrote:
PTFlea wrote:That's not the point at all.  There are likely to be spans where a team gets Covid or are forced to miss games because another team gets it, so the schedule condenses.

So, you laugh, but you don't grasp it.

Right, and Ottawa is the only team to have this genius foresight and go out searching and extra players that you thought was roster set weeks ago? You just have no ability to see flaws of a flawed management. You are a literal punching bag.

Of course they do, but they don't have cap space to weaponize.  We just acquired Stepan, Paquette and Coburn - three assets that can be flipped again - for moving down 10 spots give or take.  Not many teams can do that.

Think it through man.

Stutzle-Stepan-Dadonov
Tkachuk-Tierney-Batherson
Galchenyuk-White-C.Brown
Paul-Paquette-Watson

Chabot-Gudbranson
Coburn-Zaitsev
Reilly-Brown

This is where I have an issue. If this was Guy Boucher coaching, the lineup above would be his opening roster. Because this is Smith I don't know what it will look like. And I get the argument that COVID will require carrying extra players, but it doesn't mean more players play on a nightly basis, which means the prospects will practice but won't get all the games they probably need to develop. Balcers, Abramov, Norris, Chlapik, L. Brown, Wolanin, Brannstrom, Formenton, Zub, Lajoie are all on the outside looking in. And I get that there will be back-to-backs and COVID related roster movement, but the optics of what's happening in Ottawa are terrible. The team's marketing last year was 'the kids are alright' or whatever crap they were spewing and they end up burying the players we were all looking forward to most. We acquire Dadonov then Menlyk the most Melnyk of moves by brining in Stepan.

At the end of the day, we are going to be sellers at the trade deadline. Gudbranson (probably unless he meshes well with Chabot), Anisimov, Stepan, Coburn, Reilly, Galchenyuk, and maybe Tierney will be gone. But we will continue to stockpile draft picks which is not what this team needs. We need our young guys to play in the NHL and we need a superstar to compliment our core of Tkahcuk, Stutzle, Chabot, and Brannstrom.

So the moves make sense from a Melnyk perspective but don't provide me with any certainty that there is a 'plan' in place. It just continues to be cheap cap moves to acquire more draft picks to be used on questionable drafting.

The problem with your lineup is Balcers and Chlapik need to clear waivers to be put on the taxi squad. Just more casualties from bringing in drunk wife abusers,  4th line plugs and last-chance signees.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

The Sens released the training camp roster today and you are only allowed 36 skaters. They listed 36 and forgot to name Stepan or Stutzle at first glance. Well done Sens. Go Sens.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 26 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 46 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum