GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+7
wprager
Flo The Action
Lagoon
tim1_2
PTFlea
Ev
DefenceWinsChampionships
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 67]

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:What exactly is Derek Stepan adding to our lineup? He had 28 points last year.  

We're at the cap floor.  Not sure it's realistic to expect to add much more salary at this point.

He adds a veteran presence that can shield our younger centers (Norris, Brown, White, Stutzle?) from playing against other team's top lines on a nightly basis. And worst case you flip him at the deadline for a pick. Has zero to do with hitting the cap floor.

Lagoon

Veteran
Veteran

This Sens team is last place as it sits. Will we draft an elite LHD with our lottery win or go off the board and take a W ranked as the 10th best BPA? Stay tuned.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Lagoon wrote:This Sens team is last place as it sits. Will we draft an elite LHD with our lottery win or go off the board and take a W ranked as the 10th best BPA? Stay tuned.

Raty, Clarke, Guenther, Johnson, are all players that I'd like to add. Crap draft though. Should have drafted Rossi and gone after Power next year.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
Lagoon wrote:This Sens team is last place as it sits. Will we draft an elite LHD with our lottery win or go off the board and take a W ranked as the 10th best BPA? Stay tuned.

Raty, Clarke, Guenther, Johnson, are all players that I'd like to add. Crap draft though. Should have drafted Rossi and gone after Power next year.

Sens won’t be that bad next year. They should take Johnson if he’s available .

Roby Jarventie with another goal today. He’s got a serious scoring prowess

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Chlapik back on another 2 way.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Ev wrote:

Sens won’t be that bad next year. They should take Johnson if he’s available .

Roby Jarventie with another goal today. He’s got a serious scoring  prowess

That looks like a great pick.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

And Bingo was his name o

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:What exactly is Derek Stepan adding to our lineup? He had 28 points last year.  

We're at the cap floor.  Not sure it's realistic to expect to add much more salary at this point.

He adds a veteran presence that can shield our younger centers (Norris, Brown, White, Stutzle?) from playing against other team's top lines on a nightly basis. And worst case you flip him at the deadline for a pick. Has zero to do with hitting the cap floor.

I know it has nothing to do with hitting the cap floor.  We're at the cap floor.  My question is why would Melnyk or Dorion or anyone agree to take a guy with a cap hit of $6.5M  ($5M actual salary, including a $3M signing bonus which would definitely make Melnyk barf all over the place).  It's a ton of money to pay a guy who hasn't produced much of value the last two years. I think we can be reasonably sure that Melnyk doesn't want to add much more salary at this point?

I totally agree with the idea of bringing in a more experienced centre...I'm just saying Stepan is a terrible option.  There's more useful free agents currently available, and there must also be better targets available via trade as well.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Stepan is a guy without too much value in these cap-strapped days but as next season progresses and we get nearer to the deadline his value will go up more.

I don't see the Yotes trading him before the deadline.
Neither am I interested.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

Watch us go off the board next year and take a forward earlier than expected when there are much better D options available. Basically try and right this wrong with another wrong. Prime Dorion.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Lagoon wrote:

Watch us go off the board next year and take a forward earlier than expected when there are much better D options available. Basically try and right this wrong with another wrong. Prime Dorion.

There will be a mix of forwards and D pocked in the top 10. Same as every other year. Anaheim just picked a D too.

Dorion has been outstanding this draft and off-season.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

The first 2 rounds of the draft were amazing, not at all sure about subsequent drafts.

His off season has been damn strong though, the only thumbs down was spending an asset on josh brown.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Brannstrom really having a strong start to go with his inoressive ahl stint last year.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

PTFlea wrote:The first 2 rounds of the draft were amazing, not at all sure about subsequent drafts.

His off season has been damn strong though, the only thumbs down was spending an asset on josh brown.

Jury is out. Covid making the sens look like spenders when in reality they're not.

Thomson with an apple today. 2 in his last 2 games. Hopefully he gets going

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

PTFlea wrote:The first 2 rounds of the draft were amazing, not at all sure about subsequent drafts.

Jury is out. Covid making the sens look like spenders when in reality they're not.

Thomson with an apple today. 2 in his last 2 games.  Hopefully he gets going

He needs the ahl to start. But many who see him play regularly like his hockey iq which could be big trouble.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

Ev wrote:
Lagoon wrote:

There will be a mix of forwards and D pocked in the top 10. Same as every other year. Anaheim just picked a D too.

Anaheim desperately needed a D and had one hilariously fall to them. That could’ve been the easiest choice for Anaheim in the history of a draft.

And no, this draft was elite F heavy and next year is elite D heavy. There is no need to debate otherwise.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

PTFlea wrote:Brannstrom really having a strong start to go with his inoressive ahl stint last year.

Brannstrom is going to be a good one for us eventually. Steady progression for him.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Lagoon wrote:
Ev wrote:
Lagoon wrote:

Anaheim desperately needed a D and had one hilariously fall to them. That could’ve been the easiest choice for Anaheim in the history of a draft.

And no, this draft was elite F heavy and next year is elite D heavy. There is no need to debate otherwise.

Oh so it was an easy choice for Anaheim to take a D but not the Sens, even though both teams need help at all positions. Got it.

I was right this whole time, picking for need is a dumb decision and something the good teams don't do.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum