GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GM Hockey » Ottawa Senators » Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19

Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 29 ... 55, 56, 57 ... 62 ... 68  Next

Go down  Message [Page 56 of 68]

826Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 - Page 56 Empty Re: Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 on Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:39 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships


Veteran
Veteran
Pinto looked fantastic in the highlight package I watched. I have high hopes for him. Would be great to see him mature into a 200 foot 2C with Norris on his wing.

Imagine a top-nine of:

Tkachuk-Stutzle-Dadonov
Norris-Pinto-Batherson
Formenton-L.Brown-Balcers

Ahh, dare to dream

827Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 - Page 56 Empty Re: Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 on Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:16 pm

PTFlea


Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Flo The Action wrote:
PTFlea wrote:Certainly there's a reason Bob Mac had Kleven ranked 36.  Quite the package of terror and a booming shot he's got.

where had they ranked Cowen?

there is a common misunderstanding or willingness to overlook certain aspects of players.
one of the biggest aspects that is now being evaluated is hockey IQ.

some young players can dominate or look great in Juniors or other developmental leagues because they possess more advanced physical attributes or styles of play. once you get to the NHL they fall into similar competition and can no longer compete because they lack the required IQ.

this was a big problem with Cowen and is the knock often attributed to Kleven.
I've come to like the pick a bit more as i read more and more about him but there is no denying that he could bust hard because he's said not to be the smartest of the bunch. it puts into question why would we draft him so high.
Bob's list is iffy sometimes. exactly because they poll certain scouts, and certain scouts are crap at what they do and haven't caught up with the times.

For sure, we'll see if he can put it together. If his iq is poor, he wont make it

828Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 - Page 56 Empty Re: Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 on Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:24 pm

wprager


Administrator
Administrator
Flo The Action wrote:
PTFlea wrote:Certainly there's a reason Bob Mac had Kleven ranked 36.  Quite the package of terror and a booming shot he's got.

where had they ranked Cowen?

there is a common misunderstanding or willingness to overlook certain aspects of players.
one of the biggest aspects that is now being evaluated is hockey IQ.

some young players can dominate or look great in Juniors or other developmental leagues because they possess more advanced physical attributes or styles of play. once you get to the NHL they fall into similar competition and can no longer compete because they lack the required IQ.

this was a big problem with Cowen and is the knock often attributed to Kleven.
I've come to like the pick a bit more as i read more and more about him but there is no denying that he could bust hard because he's said not to be the smartest of the bunch. it puts into question why would we draft him so high.
Bob's list is iffy sometimes. exactly because they poll certain scouts, and certain scouts are crap at what they do and haven't caught up with the times.

Cowen played against 16-18 year olds; K-leven plays against 20-something's. He's also 6'4"and not 6'7". So I think unfair size advantage does not apply to him to the same degree.

Cowen's problem is that he was slow between the ears. Took way too long to decide what to do when he had the puck.



Last edited by wprager on Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

829Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 - Page 56 Empty Re: Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 on Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:48 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
PTFlea wrote:Certainly there's a reason Bob Mac had Kleven ranked 36.  Quite the package of terror and a booming shot he's got.

where had they ranked Cowen?

there is a common misunderstanding or willingness to overlook certain aspects of players.
one of the biggest aspects that is now being evaluated is hockey IQ.

some young players can dominate or look great in Juniors or other developmental leagues because they possess more advanced physical attributes or styles of play. once you get to the NHL they fall into similar competition and can no longer compete because they lack the required IQ.

this was a big problem with Cowen and is the knock often attributed to Kleven.
I've come to like the pick a bit more as i read more and more about him but there is no denying that he could bust hard because he's said not to be the smartest of the bunch. it puts into question why would we draft him so high.
Bob's list is iffy sometimes. exactly because they poll certain scouts, and certain scouts are crap at what they do and haven't caught up with the times.

He seems like the type of guy that is going to take a stupid penalty at the wrong time

that can be taught out of someone's game.
it's being unable to process the game at a high speed and having the necessary skills for the NHL that is worrisome.

830Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 - Page 56 Empty Re: Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 on Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:50 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
wprager wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
PTFlea wrote:Certainly there's a reason Bob Mac had Kleven ranked 36.  Quite the package of terror and a booming shot he's got.

where had they ranked Cowen?

there is a common misunderstanding or willingness to overlook certain aspects of players.
one of the biggest aspects that is now being evaluated is hockey IQ.

some young players can dominate or look great in Juniors or other developmental leagues because they possess more advanced physical attributes or styles of play. once you get to the NHL they fall into similar competition and can no longer compete because they lack the required IQ.

this was a big problem with Cowen and is the knock often attributed to Kleven.
I've come to like the pick a bit more as i read more and more about him but there is no denying that he could bust hard because he's said not to be the smartest of the bunch. it puts into question why would we draft him so high.
Bob's list is iffy sometimes. exactly because they poll certain scouts, and certain scouts are crap at what they do and haven't caught up with the times.

Cowen played against 16-18 year olds; K-leven plays against 20-something's. He's also 6'4"and not 6'7". So it think unfair size advantage dues not apply to him to the same degree.

Cowen's problem is that he was slow between the ears. Took way too long to decide what to do when he had the puck.

which is also the knock i've heard on Kleven.

i hope they are wrong because he does have some interesting aspects he brings to the game.

831Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 - Page 56 Empty Re: Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 on Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:21 pm

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran
Oh how the Räty have fallen. The 2021 crop becomes more D heavy by default.

832Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 - Page 56 Empty Re: Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 on Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:47 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
I obviously have not seen enough of Kleven, but the point was that 6'7" Cowen playing against teenagers is not the same as 6'4" Kleven playing against men. If he stands out it will be for reasons other than simply unfair size advantage.

Also, Kleven lieks playing the physical game; he hits whereas Cowen got hit. He's more a replacement for Boro but better skating and a much better shot. Was it JBD who said he had the hardest shot he's ever seen?


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

833Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 - Page 56 Empty Re: Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 on Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:45 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships


Veteran
Veteran
I saw a highlight posted on twitter of Kleven levelling two guys on the same shift. First one was arguably a late hit while the second one Kleven misplayed the puck and he skated backwards into someone who wasn't expecting the contact

834Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 - Page 56 Empty Re: Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 on Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:06 pm

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I saw a highlight posted on twitter of Kleven levelling two guys on the same shift. First one was arguably a late hit while the second one Kleven misplayed the puck and he skated backwards into someone who wasn't expecting the contact

I watched the game and he probably had 9 hits in his first three shifts. He slowed down a bit after that. As far as him handling the puck goes, he’s sometimes called The Big Steak for a reason. It isn’t solely because he’s a bigger body.

835Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 - Page 56 Empty Re: Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 on Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:21 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
wprager wrote:I obviously have not seen enough of Kleven, but the point was that 6'7" Cowen playing against teenagers is not the same as 6'4" Kleven playing against men. If he stands out it will be for reasons other than simply unfair size advantage.

Also, Kleven lieks playing the physical game; he hits whereas Cowen got hit. He's more a replacement for Boro but better skating and a much better shot. Was it JBD who said he had the hardest shot he's ever seen?
I don't get your point. he wasn't playing against men last year and the body of work which he was being scouted on? which is the point we are making. of course, going forward we will see him face tougher competition. but you don't really see the full picture until you get to the NHL. so even in the AHL you won't fully know.

836Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 - Page 56 Empty Re: Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 on Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:22 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
One of the best shots ive seen from anyone as Sanderson nearly rips the net in half and scores. Goodness.

837Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 - Page 56 Empty Re: Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 on Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:09 pm

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran
PTFlea wrote:Pinto was good from what i saw.  If he can continue his excellent faceoffs too...

He went 18-0 on faceoffs last game and is now 81% on the year.

838Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 - Page 56 Empty Re: Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 on Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:20 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships


Veteran
Veteran
Lagoon wrote:
PTFlea wrote:Pinto was good from what i saw.  If he can continue his excellent faceoffs too...

He went 18-0 on faceoffs last game and is now 81% on the year.

He has the makings of a 2C especially if he can continue to dominate in the faceoff circle. We have a lot of pass-first players and think we're going to be short on natural goal scorers but the future of the team is starting to look really good. I think we can pretty much pencil Pinto to play in Ottawa next season and I'd imagine they'd like to see him down the middle over someone like Norris who could fill a hole on the left-wing.

If things work out and Stutzle becomes a center, I can definitely see White being our 3C and L. Brown being traded. This is make or break year for him IMO.

839Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 - Page 56 Empty Re: Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 on Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:03 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Lagoon wrote:
PTFlea wrote:Pinto was good from what i saw.  If he can continue his excellent faceoffs too...

He went 18-0 on faceoffs last game and is now 81% on the year.

Yeah, saw that. Fantastic

840Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 - Page 56 Empty Re: Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 on Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:26 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Hobey Pinto scored today

841Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 - Page 56 Empty Re: Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 on Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:57 pm

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran
Western Michigan did not enjoy today. UND did whatever they wanted all game.

842Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 - Page 56 Empty Re: Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 on Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:37 pm

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran
Guess who threw the biggest 3 hits of the game?

843Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 - Page 56 Empty Re: Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 on Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:54 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Nice https://mobile.twitter.com/SchlossmanGF/status/1335714141307346949

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 56 of 68]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 29 ... 55, 56, 57 ... 62 ... 68  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum