GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GM Hockey » The other NHL teams » General Hockey talk » General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 28 ... 52, 53, 54, 55  Next

Go down  Message [Page 53 of 55]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
What other teams? Florida lost quite a bit of offense. Tampa has significant injuries/surgeries and due for a Cup hangover. Boston lost Krug and maybe Chara (and even if he re-signs he's another year older) plus they have significant injuries up front. Toronto is really reaching signing Jumbo, their biggest move on D it's letting Ceci walk. Montreal improved but it still all hinges on Price. Buffalo and Detroit are still Buffalo and Detroit.

I'm not suggesting the Sens could win the Atlantic (which likely will not exist in 2021) but there are enough teams that will certainly struggle.

Meanwhile Ottawa has improved in goal, on D and up front. Biggest question mark is the D but Murray will help in that respect.

If we have a Canadian division then who knows. Western teams will have a significant issue with travel so that would help Eastern teams. I think we will be pushing forward a playoff spot.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder
wprager wrote:What other teams? Florida lost quite a bit of offense. Tampa has significant injuries/surgeries and due for a Cup hangover. Boston lost Krug and maybe Chara (and even if he re-signs he's another year older) plus they have significant injuries up front.  Toronto is really reaching signing Jumbo, their biggest move on D it's letting Ceci walk. Montreal improved but it still all hinges on Price. Buffalo and Detroit are still Buffalo and Detroit.

I'm not suggesting the Sens could win the Atlantic (which likely will not exist in 2021) but there are enough teams that will certainly struggle.

Meanwhile Ottawa has improved in goal, on D and up front.  Biggest question mark is the D but Murray will help in that respect.

If we have a Canadian division then who knows. Western teams will have a significant issue with travel so that would help Eastern teams. I think we will be pushing forward a playoff spot.

I think basically we have the worst defence in the league right now. Slow as molassis aside from Chabot, Brannstrom (who may not even play) and Wolanin - who isn't really fast as much as he's just solid.

A team with even slightly fast forwards will eat the Sens D for lunch. Which is one of the reasons they drafted JBD and Sanderson I assume.

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
PTFlea wrote:
wprager wrote:What other teams? Florida lost quite a bit of offense. Tampa has significant injuries/surgeries and due for a Cup hangover. Boston lost Krug and maybe Chara (and even if he re-signs he's another year older) plus they have significant injuries up front.  Toronto is really reaching signing Jumbo, their biggest move on D it's letting Ceci walk. Montreal improved but it still all hinges on Price. Buffalo and Detroit are still Buffalo and Detroit.

Meanwhile Ottawa has improved in goal, on D and up front.  Biggest question mark is the D but Murray will help in that respect.

I think basically we have the worst defence in the league right now.  Slow as molassis aside from Chabot, Brannstrom (who may not even play) and Wolanin - who isn't really fast as much as he's just solid.

A team with even slightly fast forwards will eat the Sens D for lunch.  Which is one of the reasons they drafted JBD and Sanderson I assume.

I don't think they will be bad because of speed. They won't be a great D but I'm not seeing why you think they're slow aside from maybe Gudbranson? The rest are above average skaters.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Every team you list with the exception of possibly Detroit will be better than us.

If there's a Canadian division, we should be last in it.

I appreciate your optimism, and agree that we'll be better....it just won't be by enough to legitimately challenge for a playoff spot.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Ev wrote:
PTFlea wrote:

I think basically we have the worst defence in the league right now.  Slow as molassis aside from Chabot, Brannstrom (who may not even play) and Wolanin - who isn't really fast as much as he's just solid.

A team with even slightly fast forwards will eat the Sens D for lunch.  Which is one of the reasons they drafted JBD and Sanderson I assume.

I don't think they will be bad because of speed. They won't be a great D but I'm not seeing why you think they're slow aside from maybe Gudbranson? The rest are above average skaters.

Gudbranson wasn't a bad acquisition IMO, but he's quite slow and he'll play a prominent role on our D, probably a top 4 spot. Zaitsev isn't fast at all either. He might be league average - and I also don't dislike him, but I would call him fodder for faster players.

Really, who in our projected top 4 are fast aside from Chabot?

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran
PTFlea wrote:
Ev wrote:
PTFlea wrote:

Gudbranson wasn't a bad acquisition IMO, but he's quite slow and he'll play a prominent role on our D, probably a top 4 spot.  Zaitsev isn't fast at all either.  He might be league average - and I also don't dislike him, but I would call him fodder for faster players.

Gudbranson also has the IQ of a Cheezie. Josh Brown makes him look like a hearty bowl of soup however.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
PTFlea wrote:
Ev wrote:
PTFlea wrote:

Gudbranson wasn't a bad acquisition IMO, but he's quite slow and he'll play a prominent role on our D, probably a top 4 spot.  Zaitsev isn't fast at all either.  He might be league average - and I also don't dislike him, but I would call him fodder for faster players.

Zaitsev is a good skater. He's just not a good D. Speed isn't his problem.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Ev wrote:
PTFlea wrote:
Ev wrote:
PTFlea wrote:

Zaitsev is a good skater. He's just not a good D. Speed isn't his problem.

He's ok, I wouldn't call him speedy though. As a unit, I don't see a ton of speed in there. I see some big dudes, I see some ok dudes like Zaitsev and I see one elite guy, but speed might be an issue. Transitioning will bite us a lot, I think, unless Gudbranson just stays in the neutral zone the entire time.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Chabot is still Chabot; assuming he can return to his previous level (let alone improve) he won't be either then last year. Zaitsev had off ice issues which should be somewhat settled this year, plus second year in the organization. Gudbranson is not a downgrade from Boro. Wolanin, Brannstrom, Brown are all an upgrade from Hainsey. Zub could be a really intriguing addition. Rookie of the month, wins the Gagarin Cup (KHL Championship), Olympic Gold. Pretty decent resume.

The D won't be great but it will be incrementally better than last year, age will have a better goalie behind them.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
wprager wrote:Chabot is still Chabot; assuming he can return to his previous level (let alone improve) he won't be either then last year.  Zaitsev had off ice issues which should be somewhat settled this year, plus second year in the organization. Gudbranson is not a downgrade from Boro. Wolanin, Brannstrom, Brown are all an upgrade from Hainsey. Zub could be a really intriguing addition. Rookie of the month, wins the Gagarin Cup (KHL Championship), Olympic Gold. Pretty decent resume.

The D won't be great but it will be incrementally better than last year, age will have a better goalie behind them.

It's just that...NHL teams are better, even if they've lost some talent, than we are - and they'll look at Gudbranson and whoever he's playing with as a weak link and attack.

I like your optimism, and hope you're right, believe me. But I think we're going to improve and STILL end up with a lottery pick - which isn't a bad thing.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Does anyone have any leaked jersey photos on what these new reversed jerseys that the NHL has been teasing?

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Flo The Action wrote:Does anyone have any leaked jersey photos on what these new reversed jerseys that the NHL has been teasing?

i've seen a few. The Sens will be the original 92 black jersey, but red instead of black.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
PTFlea wrote:
wprager wrote:Chabot is still Chabot; assuming he can return to his previous level (let alone improve) he won't be either then last year.  Zaitsev had off ice issues which should be somewhat settled this year, plus second year in the organization. Gudbranson is not a downgrade from Boro. Wolanin, Brannstrom, Brown are all an upgrade from Hainsey. Zub could be a really intriguing addition. Rookie of the month, wins the Gagarin Cup (KHL Championship), Olympic Gold. Pretty decent resume.

It's just that...NHL teams are better, even if they've lost some talent, than we are - and they'll look at Gudbranson and whoever he's playing with as a weak link and attack.

I like your optimism, and hope you're right, believe me.  But I think we're going to improve and STILL end up with a lottery pick - which isn't a bad thing.

Don't 15 teams go in the lottery? You can be 4th in the Atlantic and still miss. Or if there is a Canadian Division and 3 US ones they could be the 5th best team in the country and miss.

Last edited by wprager on Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:53 am; edited 1 time in total

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran
Sergachev stays with TB. 4.8 million AAV. Wow.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
They're just digging the grave though. There will be repercussions, so now it's not Serg, who will it be? Don't tell me someone who has negative value like Johnson either. Gonna be interesting.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Lagoon wrote:Sergachev stays with TB. 4.8 million AAV. Wow.

He should fire his agent. That's the sweetest deal ever.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Boychuck ends career due to an eye injury. guess he's still got a season to be paid by insurance.
probably helps the isles quite a bit with their cap space. would they have trade toews though?

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Flo The Action wrote:
Lagoon wrote:Sergachev stays with TB. 4.8 million AAV. Wow.

He should fire his agent. That's the sweetest deal ever.

I bet he was told - sign this, or be traded, take your pick.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 53 of 55]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 28 ... 52, 53, 54, 55  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum