GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GM Hockey » The other NHL teams » General Hockey talk » General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 42 ... 46  Next

Go down  Message [Page 39 of 46]

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Ev wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
Ev wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Why does everyone think ottawa is such a bad place to play ? I'd much prefer to play here than a lot of other cities both in Canada and the US

The main reason would be taxes. Most Canadian cities would be on the majority of lists I would imagine.

Ottawa is not an attractive city even when we were good

At the end of the day the majority of players in the NHL are Canadian and probably don't appreciate how much of a gong-show it is in the states. Political leadership, protests, wildfires, racism, crime, poverty, etc. Come to Ottawa and you can live in affordable housing, send your kids to good schools, etc. The players are on the road most of the time anyway, so if it's a decision on where to raise a young family, I would 100% choose to live in Ottawa over a lot of other places. What's the allure of living in the States aside from taxes? Target and cheap gas? I get the allure of living in California, New York, Vegas, Florida, etc. Outside of those cities/parts of those states, I'm not so sure I'd want to live in a lot of other places.   In cities like Philadelphia, they live in rich suburbs anyway. May as well live in Barrhaven or Kanata.

Do you live in Ottawa? That sounds good to us. It doesn't sound great to young millionaires. Especially when they marry US women who won't want to move.

From the outside, Ottawa is a cold, boring city who doesn't have a good team right now. Once you live here for a while, then you appreciate it.

Not sure what affordable housing means since it's pretty expensive here and in Toronto, but I don't think that matters when you're talking about millionaires.

A ton of American athletes would want to stay in America. Remember when Trump won and people said they would move to Canada? Guess that didn't happen...

"Affordable housing" had me laughing. Ever been to an upper-class American neighbourhood (i.e. gated community)? They are ridiculous. Gated communities, security all over the place, etc. They never see the protests, wildfires, racism, crime, and poverty. Plus, as Ev mentioned, you pay way less in tax (and apparently can just cheat the system and pay nothing in tax). The filthy rich live in a different universe, and that's especially true in the States.

So it's hard enough for a Canadian team to attract players, and then there's the Melnyk stink that infests every aspect of the organization.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
Lundqvist just bought out and apparently the Rags are interested in Eichel. What would it take to get Eichel out of Buffalo? Strome, Kappo, Miller, Carolina 2020 1st?

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Ev wrote:
Lagoon wrote:
Ev wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
Lagoon wrote:Let’s have fun. Let’s all compare how Steve Yzerman GM’s vs Dorion.

Yzerman will go first.
Marc Staal and a 2nd to Detroit for future considerations. Done deal.

Dorion. You are up.  tumbleweed

i know right?

i'm kinda glad that this happened now so it may actually put some barriers on Dorion making some idiotic moves where we lose assets as opposed to gaining some.

this is a total win by Detroit.

I think what we need to keep in mind is that Dorion is hamstrung by Melnyk.  Of course it's a no-brainer to "weaponize" cap space like Detroit has done...but you also need an owner willing to take on salary.

also players have to waive NTCs. Staal had one.

So now we can’t even get the statistically worst Dman in the league to come here? And you’ve got hope for actual good players?

Many good young players don't have NTCs. Those are the ones they should be targeting.

Tuch, Ehlers, Laine, Huberdeau, Barkov, Dvorak, Nylander, Boeser, Konecny, Barzal, Cirelli are who the Sens should be trying to target with their 2nd rd picks, cap room, and b prospects. Less options on the defensive side but the Sens have stockpiled some good options there. If the Sens can add one or two of these guys without giving up their top-two 1st rd picks, devastating their prospect pool, and doing so by taking on some bad short-term contracts, the Sens win the off-season.

you really like those far fetched pipedreams eh?
in what universe would those guys ever get traded and even less for some 2nd rounders and b prospects.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Lundqvist just bought out and apparently the Rags are interested in Eichel. What would it take to get Eichel out of Buffalo? Strome, Kappo, Miller, Carolina 2020 1st?

I'd imagine Kappo and K'Andre would have to be part of a trade. probably that 1st too.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:
Lagoon wrote:
Ev wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
Lagoon wrote:Let’s have fun. Let’s all compare how Steve Yzerman GM’s vs Dorion.

Yzerman will go first.

i know right?

i'm kinda glad that this happened now so it may actually put some barriers on Dorion making some idiotic moves where we lose assets as opposed to gaining some.

I think what we need to keep in mind is that Dorion is hamstrung by Melnyk.  Of course it's a no-brainer to "weaponize" cap space like Detroit has done...but you also need an owner willing to take on salary.

So now we can’t even get the statistically worst Dman in the league to come here? And you’ve got hope for actual good players?

Many good young players don't have NTCs. Those are the ones they should be targeting.

Tuch, Ehlers, Laine, Huberdeau, Barkov, Dvorak, Nylander, Boeser, Konecny, Barzal, Cirelli are who the Sens should be trying to target with their 2nd rd picks, cap room, and b prospects. Less options on the defensive side but the Sens have stockpiled some good options there. If the Sens can add one or two of these guys without giving up their top-two 1st rd picks, devastating their prospect pool, and doing so by taking on some bad short-term contracts, the Sens win the off-season.

in what universe would those guys ever get traded and even less for some 2nd rounders and b prospects.

All of these guys fit a certain age range, have RFA contract control or are signed long-term, and are on teams looking to shed salary. Dorion has already done business with most of their GMs over the last few years, and Ottawa has three of the most coveted trade chips right now: lots of high quality draft picks, cap room, and prospects. No reason a good pick or two, a prospect or two, and taking on a cap dump can't net you a top-six forward right now.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
More importantly, where do Ceci and Barrie go? My guess Ceci goes to Vegas and takes a pay cut (Stone connection) or Edmonton (assuming they don't get OEL)

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Vegas has a bunch of defencemen under contract, and I don't see them signing a bad one because he knows Mark Stone.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
tim1_2 wrote:Vegas has a bunch of defencemen under contract, and I don't see them signing a bad one because he knows Mark Stone.

He's a 5/6 guy who can probably be signed for $3M tops at this point. But good point - i didn't realize how many ELC vegas had on d

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:
Lagoon wrote:
Ev wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

Yzerman will go first.

i know right?

All of these guys fit a certain age range, have RFA contract control or are signed long-term, and are on teams looking to shed salary. Dorion has already done business with most of their GMs over the last few years, and Ottawa has three of the most coveted trade chips right now: lots of high quality draft picks, cap room, and prospects. No reason a good pick or two, a prospect or two, and taking on a cap dump can't net you a top-six forward right now.    

yeah but most of the guys you list will be the guys those teams want to keep.
i don't see it. even with the factors you mention.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
All those teams have players that they need to re-sign and are cash-strapped or in Arizona or Florida's cases, are middle-of-the-pack teams looking to shed salary.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
I'm assuming that with lack of ticket sales the NHL would step up and help pay player salaries. Would now not be the time for the sens to take on cap dumps ?

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I'm assuming that with lack of ticket sales the NHL would step up and help pay player salaries. Would now not be the time for the sens to take on cap dumps ?

Nothing will be concrete yet when the time comes for cap space teams to make these moves. So if there is an owner that doesn’t have much money, I can’t see that owner taking on salary without firm plans from the NHL.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
League will 100p step in . They have to

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran
Lehner contract official and Jarry signs as well.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
There was a picture of a game in Switzerland with 5K in attendance. Everyone wearing a mask. I think the reason the NHL is delaying  the opening day is they still have hopes of in person attendance.

General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league - Page 39 Img_2015

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran
Lagoon wrote:Lehner contract official and Jarry signs as well.

Lehner thanked the Isles and Blackhawks organizations for helping him get to this point in his career.

Enough said. If you still believe at this point that we can sign anyone good, I admire your brain.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Lagoon wrote:
Lagoon wrote:Lehner contract official and Jarry signs as well.

Lehner thanked the Isles and Blackhawks organizations for helping him get to this point in his career.

Enough said. If you still believe at this point that we can sign anyone good, I admire your brain.

success will get us further. of course the sens won't sign anyone of notice right now. we likely won't ever get a top FA because, well, it's Ottawa. I just hope Melnyk sells within a few years before everything falls apart again.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
I wonder if the NHL adopts an MLB style where teams play a series of games against the same teams.

For example, the Sens would play a three-game series against the Leafs over 5 days in Ottawa, and would play another three-game series against the Leafs in Toronto later in the season. I think this model would help reduce travel, helps isolate the spread of COVID, and builds more meaningful matchups. You could also limit scheduling to in-conference games only. So Eastern teams would only play against eastern teams.

Thoughts?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 39 of 46]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 42 ... 46  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum