GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

+6
SensHulk
tim1_2
Lagoon
wprager
Flo The Action
DefenceWinsChampionships
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 67]

SensHulk

All-Star
All-Star

Just occurred to me.....how about Randy Sexton for POHO with the Senators? This should open up things.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

The blood-letting in Buffalo was substantial. Something like 30 people were let go including most of the scouting staff and even the IT head. But that was apparently a mistake, so they hired him back.

Edit: 22 fired in Buffalo, I think the 30 number included casualties in Rochester.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Auston Matthews tests positive for Covid-19.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Auston Matthews tests positive for Covid-19.

Yeah. Scumbag Toronto reporter Steve Simmons was all too happy to "break" that news. Auston is in Arizona where cases are spiking. It's probably a safe bet that he wasn't properly self-isolating. I really don't see how the NHL or NBA are going to resume. Imagine a team getting to the Finals and then finding out a player has COVID. What the F would they do... Isolate everyone for 14 days to weed out the sick and then try to resume the Stanley Cup Finals? Nah. No thanks. Maybe just call everything off and let's try again in December.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Why "scumbag"? Surely not because you think he's talking the resumption of play? This is news, big news, the only news, and he's a reporter. Not if you say he's a scumbag from past experience, ok.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

Scumbag is the perfect word for him. I think I used the exact same word when I heard the news.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I agree. He is a scum bag. These guys are entitled to their privacy. No other player who tested positive had their identities revealed. While his job is to report , he also needs to use judgment

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

You wanna make $10M a year plus endorsements? In a business which is propped up, in a significant way, by the gambling industry. You waive your rights to privacy in any situation which affects your ability to perform on the ice.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:You wanna make $10M a year plus endorsements? In a business which is propped up, in a significant way, by the gambling industry. You waive your rights to privacy in any situation which affects your ability to perform on the ice.

Yet every other reporter manages to have morals.

Scumbag.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

In other circumstances they usually call that a "scoop".

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:In other circumstances they usually call that a "scoop".

We aren’t talking about other circumstances. We are talking about something about 100 media members already knew before Simmons, yet Simmons is the only scumbag that decided to share something that everyone else chose not too.

But go ahead and feel like Simmons has a scoop on anything and or any shred of class.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

How do you know that "100" reporters knew this before Simmonds? Lots of them had no problem publishing that Matthews' name and then adding "as reported by ...".

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Simmons has long been one of THE WORST. One of my favourite clips is when Simmons asked Phil Kessel, "Phil, are you hard to coach?", and then Phil called him an idiot. It was great.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

He's the Don Brennan of Leafs Nation. I get it. But I'd still think it's news worthy.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

At the end of the day these guys get paid to break news. i think from an ethical standpoint you don't report on private matters - especially as they pertain to something medical during a pandemic. he could have easily reported that a player on the maple leafs tested positive, the same way we know X number of players on the Lightning tested positive but their names weren't reported.

Given what Matthews makes and knowing the NHL was resuming he should have been taking the proper precautions, and the NHL should be working with the PA to put rules in place. So this is a fail on many different levels.

But so far no professional athlete in NA has died from COVID. I could be wrong, but at least no NHLer has died thus far. If frontline workers including college students working at grocery stores can work, so can these guys. I see the risk as being very little

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Max Domi has diabetes, which is one of the known pre-conditions that make your more susceptible to Covid-19. I'm sure he's not the only one. Same for asthma.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Domi just needs to be more cautious . These guys are going to be tested on the regular I'm sure

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:At the end of the day these guys get paid to break news. i think from an ethical standpoint you don't report on private matters - especially as they pertain to something medical during a pandemic. he could have easily reported that a player on the maple leafs tested positive, the same way we know X number of players on the Lightning tested positive but their names weren't reported.

Given what Matthews makes and knowing the NHL was resuming he should have been taking the proper precautions, and the NHL should be working with the PA to put rules in place. So this is a fail on many different levels.

But so far no professional athlete in NA has died from COVID. I could be wrong, but at least no NHLer has died thus far. If frontline workers including college students working at grocery stores can work, so can these guys. I see the risk as being very little

There's still many unknowns about COVID and it's potential long-term impact. Some studies have showed lung damage in people who had COVID but didn't exhibit any symptoms. There's a rare condition that has affected kids post-COVID. There's many doctors and other healthy adults in the age range of 30-40 that have died. The risk of death is certainly very low for these athletes if they get COVID, but there's other things that go along with it and to consider besides the risk of death.

I still think it's dumb to resume play in August, but what do I know. I will be very interested to see what the NHL/NBA do when a player on an active team tests positive.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum