GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GM Hockey » Ottawa Senators » Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 34 ... 64, 65, 66, 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 65 of 67]

Flo The Action


Franchise Player
Franchise Player
tim1_2 wrote:Yeah that's a nice deal for Brown.  Hopefully they can make a trade for a good centre...there are zero available via free agency....unless we wanted to land a guy like Derick Brassard again.

you don't like Athanasiou?

Flo The Action


Franchise Player
Franchise Player
I think we need an upgrade over Tierney.
not that he's bad but as it stands all our centers are on the borderline 2nd/3rd line C. there isn't two guys that are clear cut 1 or 2C. No guarantee Stutzle will be that guy (more of a winger IMO).
it's a need the org has failed to address. Josh Norris is the only guy as of today that looks poised to take the 2C spot but with no one ahead of him on the depth chart it might propel him to the number 1 in a spot he's not ready for or may be capable of filling.

Lagoon


Veteran
Veteran
Flo The Action wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:Yeah that's a nice deal for Brown.  Hopefully they can make a trade for a good centre...there are zero available via free agency....unless we wanted to land a guy like Derick Brassard again.

you don't like Athanasiou?

Not in Ottawa and not with his disappointing stint in Edmonton. 8 months ago, I would have said yes.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran
Flo The Action wrote:I think we need an upgrade over Tierney.
not that he's bad but as it stands all our centers are on the borderline 2nd/3rd line C. there isn't two guys that are clear cut 1 or 2C. No guarantee Stutzle will be that guy (more of a winger IMO).
it's a need the org has failed to address. Josh Norris is the only guy as of today that looks poised to take the 2C spot but with no one ahead of him on the depth chart it might propel him to the number 1 in a spot he's not ready for or may be capable of filling.  

We absolutely needed Rossi, you are right.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Lagoon wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:Yeah that's a nice deal for Brown.  Hopefully they can make a trade for a good centre...there are zero available via free agency....unless we wanted to land a guy like Derick Brassard again.

you don't like Athanasiou?

Not in Ottawa and not with his disappointing stint in Edmonton. 8 months ago, I would have said yes.
He was injured in Edmonton.

I think he could be a low-risk high-reward player. give him a one year.
Helps our C depth and doesn't just give away some young guy the position. could possibly get a 2nd rounder at the deadline if he has a bounce-back season in Ottawa. he still has the speed to play and that would fit well here in Ottawa.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Lagoon wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:I think we need an upgrade over Tierney.
not that he's bad but as it stands all our centers are on the borderline 2nd/3rd line C. there isn't two guys that are clear cut 1 or 2C. No guarantee Stutzle will be that guy (more of a winger IMO).
it's a need the org has failed to address. Josh Norris is the only guy as of today that looks poised to take the 2C spot but with no one ahead of him on the depth chart it might propel him to the number 1 in a spot he's not ready for or may be capable of filling.  

We absolutely needed Rossi, you are right.
oh, I know.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran
Flo The Action wrote:
Lagoon wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:Yeah that's a nice deal for Brown.  Hopefully they can make a trade for a good centre...there are zero available via free agency....unless we wanted to land a guy like Derick Brassard again.

you don't like Athanasiou?

Not in Ottawa and not with his disappointing stint in Edmonton. 8 months ago, I would have said yes.
He was injured in Edmonton.

I think he could be a low-risk high-reward player. give him a one year.
Helps our C depth and doesn't just give away some young guy the position. could possibly get a 2nd rounder at the deadline if he has a bounce-back season in Ottawa. he still has the speed to play and that would fit well here in Ottawa.

This is exactly how I felt about him 8 months ago. I’ve never liked his soft game, but appreciate his actual talents.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Flo The Action wrote:I think we need an upgrade over Tierney.
not that he's bad but as it stands all our centers are on the borderline 2nd/3rd line C. there isn't two guys that are clear cut 1 or 2C. No guarantee Stutzle will be that guy (more of a winger IMO).
it's a need the org has failed to address. Josh Norris is the only guy as of today that looks poised to take the 2C spot but with no one ahead of him on the depth chart it might propel him to the number 1 in a spot he's not ready for or may be capable of filling.  

Stutzle and Norris will be our 1-2 for many years. Norris is a lock for 2C IMO. We will be set at C in the future, but for now they can trade for an upgrade in the short term

DefenceWinsChampionships


All-Star
All-Star
Don't sleep on Logan brown. A year off could have done wonders for his development which has otherwise been stunted by injuries.

He was listed as 6'6" 220 lbs last season. If he was able to put on say 10lbs of muscle, grow into his body a little bit, and work on his skating, he has the potential to be a top-two center

Brown scored at a higher ppg than Norris last year, had an instant impact on the Sens PP, and actually put up points at the NHL level. He's also only a year older than Norris who spent two years in college.

I'm not ready to write off Brown just yet. He could be the player we need to feed pucks to Dadonov with Tkachuk being the net presence screening goalies

DefenceWinsChampionships


All-Star
All-Star
Three breakout candidates that could make a huge difference for the Sens this year: L. Brown, White, Wolanin. I'm leaving Batherson off this list since he's going to be eased into a top-six role this year (likely start L3) and Brannstrom since he's likely to split time with Reilly from the get-go.

I have moderate expectations for Norris who is going to have lofty expectations and Stutzle who will be a pure rookie with a lot of growing to do. I can see Ottawa starting both of these players on the wing next to White and Tierney respectively. I see Logan Brown as 3C with Paul and Batherson on the wings.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Don't sleep on Logan brown. A year off could have done wonders for his development which has otherwise been stunted by injuries.

He was listed as 6'6" 220 lbs last season. If he was able to put on say 10lbs of muscle, grow into his body a little bit, and work on his skating, he has the potential to be a top-two center

Brown scored at a higher ppg than Norris last year, had an instant impact on the Sens PP, and actually put up points at the NHL level. He's also only a year older than Norris who spent two years in college.

I'm not ready to write off Brown just yet. He could be the player we need to feed pucks to Dadonov with Tkachuk being the net presence screening goalies

I wouldn’t write him off either. Need to see what he looks like to start the year. It’s make or break for him

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Flo The Action wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:Yeah that's a nice deal for Brown.  Hopefully they can make a trade for a good centre...there are zero available via free agency....unless we wanted to land a guy like Derick Brassard again.

you don't like Athanasiou?

There's a reason he hasn't stuck anywhere.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
And I don't mind resting our long-term centre hopes on Stueztle and Norris...but there's risk there since neither have proven anything yet in the NHL. Bringing in someone to help bridge the gap here would be nice.

DefenceWinsChampionships


All-Star
All-Star
tim1_2 wrote:And I don't mind resting our long-term centre hopes on Stueztle and Norris...but there's risk there since neither have proven anything yet in the NHL.  Bringing in someone to help bridge the gap here would be nice.

Agreed. I never considered someone like Jonathan Toews but man would he ever be such a good fit here. Huge cap hit, declining salary, three years left, and would be such a calming presence and mentor for an otherwise super young team. Understanding he's well past his prime, you could start him 1C this year and drop him down the lineup as someone else emerges.

If Chicago's intentions are to 'rebuild' then moving the cap hit has got to be priority #1, with priority #2 being a good goalie prospect and a few other pieces. He has a NMC which would probably be the biggest barrier, but I don't think it would take much more than Tierney, Wolanin, Hogberg/Gustavsson, and one of our three 2nd rd picks in next year's draft.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran
tim1_2 wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:Yeah that's a nice deal for Brown.  Hopefully they can make a trade for a good centre...there are zero available via free agency....unless we wanted to land a guy like Derick Brassard again.

you don't like Athanasiou?

There's a reason he hasn't stuck anywhere.

The reason I’ve soured on him from my opinion 8 months ago is because Edmonton overpaid to get him, then quickly didn’t use him in a prominent role after about 3 games of decent results and then let him walk for nothing. He’s soft and he’s got issues on top of his blazing speed.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran
Simon signs in Calgary. There goes that dream 5 hours after I mentioned him for the 20th time.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
tim1_2 wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:Yeah that's a nice deal for Brown.  Hopefully they can make a trade for a good centre...there are zero available via free agency....unless we wanted to land a guy like Derick Brassard again.

you don't like Athanasiou?

There's a reason he hasn't stuck anywhere.

what? he's been in Detroit his entire career until he got traded to EDM. if 9 game played in Edmonton is your "anywhere"...

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:And I don't mind resting our long-term centre hopes on Stueztle and Norris...but there's risk there since neither have proven anything yet in the NHL.  Bringing in someone to help bridge the gap here would be nice.

Agreed. I never considered someone like Jonathan Toews but man would he ever be such a good fit here. Huge cap hit, declining salary, three years left, and would be such a calming presence and mentor for an otherwise super young team. Understanding he's well past his prime, you could start him 1C this year and drop him down the lineup as someone else emerges.

If Chicago's intentions are to 'rebuild' then moving the cap hit has got to be priority #1, with priority #2 being a good goalie prospect and a few other pieces. He has a NMC which would probably be the biggest barrier, but I don't think it would take much more than Tierney, Wolanin, Hogberg/Gustavsson, and one of our three 2nd rd picks in next year's draft.

oh i think it takes a lot more than that to land Toews. they'll be looking for a 1st rounder, a good young top 6/top 4 NHLer (better than Tierney), and a really good prospect.

the only thing we'd have is Cap space which they aren't in need of clearing.

He's got an NMC but I'm not sure if that includes a movement out of Chicago or just out of the NHL.

I also don't think it's the right move for us. he's the type of guy that puts you over the top in 3 years but in 3 years from now, he'll be 35 and on the decline.

in my opinion, a contender will make an offer with the right assets but also get Chicago to take on a cap space asset to give them the room to take him on.

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 65 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 34 ... 64, 65, 66, 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum