GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+8
PTFlea
Hockeyhero22000
wprager
tim1_2
DefenceWinsChampionships
Flo The Action
Ev
Lagoon
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 33 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 64 of 67]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Should have hired an agent

Meh.  Much like real estate agents, I find player agents are overrated in their roles as well.  He doesn't need an agent so much as he needs to be realistic with himself.  He's had a history of pulling disappearing acts, so nobody's going to give him a long term deal.  He had something like 2 goals in his last 20+ games....

I don't see the Sens resigning him after we've brought in Dadonov.

And yeah, we need a centre.

having bought a condo only a month ago i can tell you that i would have made a lot of mistakes had i not gone through an agent.

I don't think it's comparable but I'm sure in many instances an agent is invaluable.

Mistakes like what? Realtors aren’t that important because you go through a lawyer regardless

A: you go through a notary, not a lawyer.
B: they find all the little clauses that could be problematic, they go through the city registry to see if there is any lien on the house or any other problems.
C: They look on the market for comparables that have already sold (that registry isn't available to buyers).

I bought in a market that is outbidding with offers, my realtor got me twice reductions on the price and sped up the deal and she found problematic information that the owner hadn't disclosed that I would have never caught.
it's easy to say the notary(lawyer) will catch other stuff but I'll tell you what, my notary would have charged me an arm and leg for any little extra i would have had to go through them. especially if it's information that would have made the sale of the house not go through. they charge by the hour, not the sale.

mind you the other guy's agent was a complete moron so it really depends who your agent is.
and I bought something that was built recently so it's not like it was a hard sell.

plus it didn't cost me a thing because they split the other agents' commission.

It might be different in Quebec because you need a lawyer every time in Ontario. They do all the work yet the realtor gets 2.5%. It’s a joke. Realtors don’t do much work for sales these days. In terms of finding liens etc that’s all done by the lawyer here. They also don’t charge by the hour here.

I can see house sales online and know the market at all times. Times are different now.

Using a realtor as a buyer isn’t a big deal but I sure won’t use one for selling next time I sell. As a buyer you’re still paying for the use of a realtor because many times they would reduce the sale price if you didn’t use an agent.

And who put up that online ads for all those houses can just look at anyone you want? Who hired the photographer to take those great pictures or 360 video? Who staged the house? A notary won't do all that fit $1000. Add if you do it yourself you may not be very good at it.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Lagoon wrote:Good deal for both. Bought some UFA years.

Starting to think that with the money Melnyk has approved this offseason, Dorion and his pro scouting team are the only issues I want dumped.

It's an excellent deal. Keep in mind that everything is back-ended so while they are good deals this year, Melnyk really isn't spending any more on free agents than he would have on Bobby Ryan, Anderson and on LTIR residuals last year. No guarantee Brown or Dadonov are protected in the expansion draft too. All the signing look great on paper - we'll see what happens in subsequent years.

I agree with your point re draft. Jarventie surprisingly has had an excellent start to the year thus far. Could be a great surprise depth forward sooner than we think (AHL next year with Thomson). Sanderson and Kleven are the two that have me miffed but only time will tell.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

The Jaros and Tierney arbitrations will be a lot more complicated. Jaros wants a one-way and probably will get it, while Tierney I wouldn't give more than a one-year contract to. These are the two players I thought would have been packaged to acquire a top-six forward

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

Meh.  Much like real estate agents, I find player agents are overrated in their roles as well.  He doesn't need an agent so much as he needs to be realistic with himself.  He's had a history of pulling disappearing acts, so nobody's going to give him a long term deal.  He had something like 2 goals in his last 20+ games....

having bought a condo only a month ago i can tell you that i would have made a lot of mistakes had i not gone through an agent.

I don't think it's comparable but I'm sure in many instances an agent is invaluable.

Mistakes like what? Realtors aren’t that important because you go through a lawyer regardless

B: they find all the little clauses that could be problematic, they go through the city registry to see if there is any lien on the house or any other problems.
C: They look on the market for comparables that have already sold (that registry isn't available to buyers).

I bought in a market that is outbidding with offers, my realtor got me twice reductions on the price and sped up the deal and she found problematic information that the owner hadn't disclosed that I would have never caught.
it's easy to say the notary(lawyer) will catch other stuff but I'll tell you what, my notary would have charged me an arm and leg for any little extra i would have had to go through them. especially if it's information that would have made the sale of the house not go through. they charge by the hour, not the sale.

mind you the other guy's agent was a complete moron so it really depends who your agent is.
and I bought something that was built recently so it's not like it was a hard sell.

It might be different in Quebec because you need a lawyer every time in Ontario. They do all the work yet the realtor gets 2.5%. It’s a joke. Realtors don’t do much work for sales these days. In terms of finding liens etc that’s all done by the lawyer here. They also don’t charge by the hour here.

I can see house sales online and know the market at all times. Times are different now.

Using a realtor as a buyer isn’t a big deal but I sure won’t use one for selling next time I sell. As a buyer you’re still paying for the use of a realtor because many times they would reduce the sale price if you didn’t use an agent.

And who put up that online ads for all those houses can just look at anyone you want? Who hired the photographer to take those great pictures or 360 video? Who staged the house? A notary won't do all that fit $1000. Add if you do it yourself you may not be very good at it.

1 - you can do all that with PurpleBricks while saving thousands of dollars in the process

2- it is not hard to create an MLS listing

3-Staging is not necessary in this market, but a realtor doesn't do that either. They hire somebody to do that. You can do that too.

Good realtors have value. What makes zero sense is they get the same % of a sale whether the house they sold costs $300K or $1M.

Last edited by Ev on Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:The Jaros and Tierney arbitrations will be a lot more complicated. Jaros wants a one-way and probably will get it, while Tierney I wouldn't give more than a one-year contract to. These are the two players I thought would have been packaged to acquire a top-six forward

Don't think Jaros is going to arb.

Tierney, whatever. Good player but won't be needed long term.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Ev wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:The Jaros and Tierney arbitrations will be a lot more complicated. Jaros wants a one-way and probably will get it, while Tierney I wouldn't give more than a one-year contract to. These are the two players I thought would have been packaged to acquire a top-six forward

Don't think Jaros is going to arb.

Tierney, whatever. Good player but won't be needed long term.

I don't think we need either of them which is the point I'm making. Even if Jaros squeezes his way on a one-way deal this year, he's going to be competing with Zub/Brown for that last RHD/extra d-man spot and will be competing with Brown, Thomson and JBD next year. He's pretty redundant.

Tierney I couldn't agree more.

Like I said, I'm surprised the two of them haven't been packaged to bring in a top-six forward (ie: center).

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Yeah that's a nice deal for Brown. Hopefully they can make a trade for a good centre...there are zero available via free agency....unless we wanted to land a guy like Derick Brassard again.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:Yeah that's a nice deal for Brown.  Hopefully they can make a trade for a good centre...there are zero available via free agency....unless we wanted to land a guy like Derick Brassard again.

Toews

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

It's hilarious that you think you need an agent to do those things for you. These are all things that the real estate agents have conditioned everyone into thinking they need them.

Anyone can take some pictures and put up an ad online. "Staging" is so incredibly overrated. You just need your house to be reasonably clean & tidy. And if you think any of this is worth the tens of thousands of dollars that an agent would make...well, you're on crack.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Especially right now when houses are going for $100K over asking without inspections, there is little value of having an agent

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Ev wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:Yeah that's a nice deal for Brown.  Hopefully they can make a trade for a good centre...there are zero available via free agency....unless we wanted to land a guy like Derick Brassard again.

Toews

Wouldn't that be something

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Especially right now when houses are going for $100K over asking without inspections, there is little value of having an agent

Any why do houses keep selling for over the asking price....you'd think agents would know how to price them.... Oh wait, they do, and this is a tactic that they use to pressure people into selling/buying faster and to gas up house values. Real estate agents did all this crap in Toronto years ago, and it's happening here now. It's such a crooked industry.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

I didn’t watch enough of Ottawa recently so my opinion of Tierney could be way off but I don’t care for him when there are many other players that I’m shocked are still FA’s even in this uncertain time.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

Even though I don’t like Tierney, I’d rather keep him over Brassard, Soderberg, Trevor Lewis, Athanasiou. The only free agent C/LW/RW I would want instead of Tierney is Dominik Simon. But I’ve been wanting him for years in all the trades we’ve done with Pittsburgh. It never happens though.now he’s finally free and I can’t believe my guy is sitting there. He’d be cheap and worth every penny now and future investments too.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Especially right now when houses are going for $100K over asking without inspections, there is little value of having an agent

Any why do houses keep selling for over the asking price....you'd think agents would know how to price them....  Oh wait, they do, and this is a tactic that they use to pressure people into selling/buying faster and to gas up house values.  Real estate agents did all this crap in Toronto years ago, and it's happening here now.  It's such a crooked industry.

It's disgusting what I've seen happen this summer. Houses going for $900K+ that were listed in the low $700s, even houses that need complete guy jobs from head to toe are going $100K over asking. To be honest I am not sure Ottawa agents know how to maneuver in this market. You may as well just list a house for whatever the hell you want and expect it to go over asking. That said I have seen a few agents blow it by listing their houses too high and not getting the bidding war they wanted, which speaks to reasons where an agent would be detrimental.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

you don't like Athanasiou?

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I think we need an upgrade over Tierney.
not that he's bad but as it stands all our centers are on the borderline 2nd/3rd line C. there isn't two guys that are clear cut 1 or 2C. No guarantee Stutzle will be that guy (more of a winger IMO).
it's a need the org has failed to address. Josh Norris is the only guy as of today that looks poised to take the 2C spot but with no one ahead of him on the depth chart it might propel him to the number 1 in a spot he's not ready for or may be capable of filling.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

Flo The Action wrote:

you don't like Athanasiou?

Not in Ottawa and not with his disappointing stint in Edmonton. 8 months ago, I would have said yes.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 64 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 33 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum