GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GM Hockey » Ottawa Senators » Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 24 ... 44, 45, 46 ... 50  Next

Go down  Message [Page 45 of 50]

Lagoon

Veteran
Veteran
Yes he does.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
Lagoon wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:If the sens walk away with Stutzle/Byfield, Raymond/Rossi and Brock Boeser I don't think anyone will complain about having a quiet free agency.

Duclair, Thomson , two 2nds for Boeser and Ericsson ?? No salary retained by Van

Why are we acquiring Boeser and why are we paying so much for him when we are also taking on an albatross?

Ericsson has a high cap hit with a lower alary which is what Ottawa needs. I also read that Van City was threatening to demote him at which time he would not report and they would waive him for the purposes of buyout. So why wouldn't he accept a trade to Ottawa where he could play or worst case, be demoted and bought out. It's less money out of Melnyk's pocket while helping him get to the cap floor. It's an albatross of a contract for two years. He makes $4M in each of the next two years.

Keep in mind the Sens have a cap floor to hit and have to replace the contracts of Pageau, Anderson, DeMelo, Boro, Hainsey, MacArthur, Ennis, Namestnikov, Boedker, Sabourin, Callahan.

Crazy enough, Ottawa only has 4 defencemen and 4 forwards signed next year. They only have $41M committed which includes Gaborik's hit of $4.875M and Phaneuf's $1.35M. Dorion has a lot of work ahead of him.

Lagoon

Veteran
Veteran
It’s really simple actually. He’s got a clause that allows him to pick teams, destinations and environments he doesn’t want to play in. He negotiated that right. I’d be surprised if Ottawa is one of the 15 teams he approves.

Your whole post except for one small sentence is about what Ottawa wants. Eriksson doesn’t give two Dung about what Ottawa wants. With the stroke of a pen and 6 letters, his agent will say Ottawa is a no go.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
I have a feeling bowser will end up in Minnesota one way or the other

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran
Those are the rumours.

It really is too bad that Ottawa is the way they are because with the cap where it is, there with be tons of value adds this offseason. Actual good players that as long as you don’t go 5-7 years, teams will do well. This year, players will be signed for less than the crazy AAV amounts we have been seeing lately.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
Would have been the year to do some damage for sure

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
If there is no solution to the covid situation the NHL might have little choice but cancel the season. It's one thing to do the playoffs without fans, since there are no player salaries to worry about and, of course, the number of teams and games is greatly limited. HRR was a little over $5B and tv revenues accounted for around $800M. The rest is primarily tickets, concessions and parking, merchandise, advertising, licensing. There will be some additional revenue from increased streaming subs and a little more advertising revenue as people flick to the YouTube game summaries, but there won't be any new tv deals this season and no Olympics boost this season. Licensing from online betting could be substantial but unlikely to bridge the gap sufficiently. There will be owners - and not just Melnyk - who will not be able to meet payroll after a couple months of no in person hockey. If there is still no viable vaccine, what then?

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran
Once the election is over, so is COVID.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
wprager wrote:If there is no solution to the covid situation the NHL might have little choice but cancel the season.  It's one thing to do the playoffs without fans, since there are no player salaries to worry about and, of course, the number of teams and games is greatly limited. HRR was a little over $5B and tv revenues accounted for around $800M. The rest is primarily tickets, concessions and parking, merchandise, advertising, licensing. There will be some additional revenue from increased streaming subs and a little more advertising revenue as people flick to the YouTube game summaries, but there won't be any new tv deals this season and no Olympics boost this season. Licensing from online betting could be substantial but unlikely to bridge the gap sufficiently. There will be owners - and not just Melnyk - who will not be able to meet payroll after a couple months of no in person hockey. If there is still no viable vaccine, what then?

i really don't know.
some players could opt to go play overseas.
In theory, there could be an agreement taken where profits/salaries are slashed by a % of what revenues are expected to be minus attendance if they want to play without crowds.
i doubt this is how they do it but if it's that or an entire season, i'm not sure what they would go for. maybe they do cancel the season if there are absolutely no vaccine in sight by December.
But IMO, there is a vaccine in sight.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
I wonder what would it take to trade for Matt Dumba? I imagine the NYI 1st and a solid D prospect like Lassi.
it is tempting but with only 3 years left to FA, this move is the type of move that isn't in our timeline just yet.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
I don't watch a lot of Minnesota hockey but from the advanced stats and what I've read, he's a defensive zone liability and at best a #4 dman. No thanks

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
I'd rather trade the isles 1st and Logan brown + for a young top six forward. Barrett Hayton and Demers/Stepan for Brown and a 1st? Arizona looking to shed salary and don't draft until the 4th Rd this year and are down draft picks next year. Probably not realistic

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
I also see a Nylander for Dumba trade happening. Makes a ton of sense for Toronto

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I'd rather trade the isles 1st and Logan brown + for a young top six forward. Barrett Hayton and Demers/Stepan for Brown and a 1st? Arizona looking to shed salary and don't draft until the 4th Rd this year and are down draft picks next year. Probably not realistic
both Stepan and Demers have one year left to FA. they'd likely walk away.

plus Stepan is 30 so that doesn't really fit in our plans.

they will likely be trade deadline guys dealt.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
Apparently Arizona wants to get rid of everyone over a certain age and shed salary. Ottawa needs tb cap space to hit the floor .

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
am i reading that right? we need to spend 18 million to get to the cap floor?

i think we could probably spend internally 12-14 million internally on RFA's but that's 4 more million that can either go by taking on a bad LTIR contract or something else done.
something will have to happen.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Flo The Action wrote:am i reading that right? we need to spend 18 million to get to the cap floor?

i think we could probably spend internally 12-14 million internally on RFA's but that's 4 more million that can either go by taking on a bad LTIR contract or something else done.
something will have to happen.

Yeah, I'm sure we'll sign a couple aging vets with something to prove, like Tyler Ennis or Ron Hainsey types. Or maybe taking on a goalie with a bigger contract. Who knows.

Apparently the Sens won't name a captain again this coming season. Not a huge shock I guess and at this point I don't care.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
The Sens just "unveiled" their new logo in the most anti-climactic way ever...a press release.

Total Dung organization as usual. Oh, the logo is just the old 2D logo, which is fine.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 45 of 50]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 24 ... 44, 45, 46 ... 50  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum