GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GM Hockey » Ottawa Senators » Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 23 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 55 ... 66  Next

Go down  Message [Page 44 of 66]

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
Lagoon wrote:A co-worker in Germany just sent me this https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2018495/report-nhl-helps-senators-coaches-recoup-pay-after-teams-major-cuts

Does he honestly think we are surprised by this? We haven’t signed a quality UFA for years and haven’t even re-signed one since MelnykOut. Because you guys like when I repeat things, we aren’t signing anyone that has actual NHL talent or another suitor. If we want outside help, we’ve got a shot with Jeff Halpern, SvenB, Jarrod Maidens, a Leipsec, maybe even Maxim Afinogenov.

i'm glad to see Melnyk is off to his old tricks again. and for a second i thought we were gonna let some other team beat us to the next idiotic news.

Did you actually read the TSN article? Lots of teams affected here.  The only difference is the sens had 50% paycuts. Even Pittsburgh cut salary all the way until November at least

Yes I did. And that’s what I’m saying. We’re the cheapest of the cheap. Great message to put out there. We’ve got a nickel and dime owner. Exciting stuff for everyone to look forward in this org. We’re gonna keep loosing players till he’s gone.

We have no good players left to lose for a long time. By then we will have a new owner. I guarantee it.

I really hope so but we were singing the same song and face about him selling pretty much 4 years ago and we are not any closer.

He just has to lower his price. The pandemic is a good thing in this case....

Lagoon

Veteran
Veteran
Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
Lagoon wrote:A co-worker in Germany just sent me this https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2018495/report-nhl-helps-senators-coaches-recoup-pay-after-teams-major-cuts

Does he honestly think we are surprised by this? We haven’t signed a quality UFA for years and haven’t even re-signed one since MelnykOut. Because you guys like when I repeat things, we aren’t signing anyone that has actual NHL talent or another suitor. If we want outside help, we’ve got a shot with Jeff Halpern, SvenB, Jarrod Maidens, a Leipsec, maybe even Maxim Afinogenov.

i'm glad to see Melnyk is off to his old tricks again. and for a second i thought we were gonna let some other team beat us to the next idiotic news.

Did you actually read the TSN article? Lots of teams affected here.  The only difference is the sens had 50% paycuts. Even Pittsburgh cut salary all the way until November at least

Yes I did. And that’s what I’m saying. We’re the cheapest of the cheap. Great message to put out there. We’ve got a nickel and dime owner. Exciting stuff for everyone to look forward in this org. We’re gonna keep loosing players till he’s gone.

We have no good players left to lose for a long time. By then we will have a new owner. I guarantee it.

You’ve been a proponent of Nilsson. What do you suggest we do with our goalie position when he walks after next year? Do we just forget about goalies and sign the Hutchinson’s of the game? 40 year old Mike Smith will want one last contract too.

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Lagoon wrote:
Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

You’ve been a proponent of Nilsson. What do you suggest we do with our goalie position when he walks after next year? Do we just forget about goalies and sign the Hutchinson’s of the game? 40 year old Mike Smith will want one last contract too.

Nilsson is a stop gap. Goalie is the easiest position to fill. There will be lots of available starting this off-season. I expect the sens to trade for one within two years unless a prospect unexpectedly emerges as an nhl stud

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Also nobody is sure if Nilsson is healthy yet. Who knows. I think he was great in his action for us so far. I’d rather he start than hog berg

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran
Ev wrote:
Lagoon wrote:
Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

Nilsson is a stop gap. Goalie is the easiest position to fill. There will be lots of available starting this off-season. I expect the sens to trade for one within two years unless a prospect unexpectedly emerges as an nhl stud

Goalies are the first players to get some form of NTC. As more of them get signed, the pickings will be slim. The list is already slim or unavailable to Ottawa.

But sure, we will see.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Lagoon wrote:
Ev wrote:
Lagoon wrote:
Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

Goalies are the first players to get some form of NTC. As more of them get signed, the pickings will be slim. The list is already slim or unavailable to Ottawa.

But sure, we will see.

With the cap situation likely to be pretty low for the next few years, i expect players to welcome any sort of length in contracts that carries a decent value. but that does put a little leverage in GM's position to not give out any NTC.

apart for a guy like Lehner or Markstrom, i don't see any goalies being able to negotiate one in their clause.

i think this could create a situation where goalie changes become easier for the next few years.

If Allen plays great in Montreal, they won't be able to resign him at a higher number if they keep price. that could put him in the market next year.
then you will also have Andersen, and possibly Binnington needing new contracts or a change of teams. not to mention upcoming goalies pushing other goalies into the trade market.

I'm actually not too worried about goalies for the next 3 years.

We might be able to grow one from within but if we can't, options will be availble at a good price.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran
I’m worried about everything until Melnyk is gone. Even an average player will not sign here, you’d have to trade for someone without a clause and when you do, he better have a long contract that comes with him or he will be gone at first blink. Even our own players make fun of Ottawa. Our reputation is trash. Every player in the league knows it. We’ve traded so many stars, what do you think Stone, Karlsson, Duchene, Hoffman, Dzingel, and others tell their new teammates about playing for Melnyk and Ottawa?

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
i couldn't agree with Lagoon more. thankfully we're building a good team through the draft, but we won't be able to complement our players with a good UFA or two.

I do think Melnyk has a 2 year window on when he will sell, but covid may have bought him extra time if the cap isn't going up for the next couple of years. the NHL will find a way to subsidize the owners so they can pay their players. melnyk may actually come ahead since they're bottom of the league both in salaries and attendance. don't expect him to take on any salary this year. they'll continue to say it's part of the plan. they'll find some dead contracts or ways to take on cap hits without salaries to meet the cap floor.

my guess is they make a trade on draft day using some prospects and their seconds to add a player who fits the rebuild. not entirely sure who this will be though brock boeser makes sense. vancouver needs the cap space, van doesn't have any 1st or 2nd rd picks, and they have a history of trading. loui eriksson could also come the other way if they manage to get toffoli signed - keeping in mind that they need to sign Markstrom and Toffoli this year, Petersson and Hughes next year and Horvat the year after. i wont speculate on what it would cost but Thomson who played in Kelowna would probably be part of the deal.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran
That’s right. And because we don’t have the luxury of being able to trade for our needs, it demands our drafting be more specific to the position and type of player we desire. That’s why especially this year, we should be taking C’s and RW that have elite skill, high compete, character and clutch tendencies. Come on down Raymond and Rossi. You presence is requested. No it is vital. Byfield too, but let’s not go there.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
If the sens walk away with Stutzle/Byfield, Raymond/Rossi and Brock Boeser I don't think anyone will complain about having a quiet free agency.

Duclair, Thomson , two 2nds for Boeser and Ericsson ?? No salary retained by Van

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
I should add that Tierney is definitely trade bait this offseason in the sens think Logan brown can handle top six minutes

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:If the sens walk away with Stutzle/Byfield, Raymond/Rossi and Brock Boeser I don't think anyone will complain about having a quiet free agency.

Duclair, Thomson , two 2nds for Boeser and Ericsson ?? No salary retained by Van

Why are we acquiring Boeser and why are we paying so much for him when we are also taking on an albatross?

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I should add that Tierney is definitely trade bait this offseason in the sens think Logan brown can handle top six minutes

Every team already has 17 younger Tierney’s looking for a spot.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Lagoon wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:If the sens walk away with Stutzle/Byfield, Raymond/Rossi and Brock Boeser I don't think anyone will complain about having a quiet free agency.

Why are we acquiring Boeser and why are we paying so much for him when we are also taking on an albatross?

I agree. anyone taking on Ericsson is doing Van a huge favor.
i could see Duclair and a 2nd for that package from Van.

but i don't think that's a trade the sens make just because Melnyk won't be looking to add salary.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran
Flo The Action wrote:
Lagoon wrote:

I agree. anyone taking on Ericsson is doing Van a huge favor.
i could see Duclair and a 2nd for that package from Van.

but i don't think that's a trade the sens make just because Melnyk won't be looking to add salary.

I’m almost positive Eriksson has some form of trade clause too. That basically eliminates us.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran
Yes he does.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
Lagoon wrote:

Ericsson has a high cap hit with a lower alary which is what Ottawa needs. I also read that Van City was threatening to demote him at which time he would not report and they would waive him for the purposes of buyout. So why wouldn't he accept a trade to Ottawa where he could play or worst case, be demoted and bought out. It's less money out of Melnyk's pocket while helping him get to the cap floor. It's an albatross of a contract for two years. He makes $4M in each of the next two years.

Keep in mind the Sens have a cap floor to hit and have to replace the contracts of Pageau, Anderson, DeMelo, Boro, Hainsey, MacArthur, Ennis, Namestnikov, Boedker, Sabourin, Callahan.

Crazy enough, Ottawa only has 4 defencemen and 4 forwards signed next year. They only have $41M committed which includes Gaborik's hit of $4.875M and Phaneuf's $1.35M. Dorion has a lot of work ahead of him.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran
It’s really simple actually. He’s got a clause that allows him to pick teams, destinations and environments he doesn’t want to play in. He negotiated that right. I’d be surprised if Ottawa is one of the 15 teams he approves.

Your whole post except for one small sentence is about what Ottawa wants. Eriksson doesn’t give two Dung about what Ottawa wants. With the stroke of a pen and 6 letters, his agent will say Ottawa is a no go.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 44 of 66]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 23 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 55 ... 66  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum