GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+8
PTFlea
Hockeyhero22000
wprager
tim1_2
DefenceWinsChampionships
Flo The Action
Ev
Lagoon
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 52 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 38 of 67]

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Yes. During the game. Being down to 5 dmen is never good. Especially when you're a big part of the PK or you're expected to stabilize the back-end with someone like Brann as your partner

I know he meant during the game.  But if Boro is a 6-7 guy he is playing, what, 10 minutes? Distributed over the remaining 5 that's an extra 2 minutes -- *IF* he's out the whole game.  On average you're talking missing a half a game for an injury or just 5 minutes for a major; if the remaining 5 can't pick up an extra minute of ice time or an extra shift over the course of 5 minutes then I think you have deeper problems (i.e. your bottom 3-4 D-men are *all* 6-7 guys).

It's not just him - it's his partner as well. You want someone like Brannstrom to play with Boro and to play with another defenceman for multiple spurts in a game? How would there be any consistency and how would that help him develop?

As it stands now, I am thinking the d pairings next year are

Chabot-Zaitsev
Wolanin-Zub
Boro-Brann
Extra: Rielly

Take Boro out. You really want Brann mixing in with Wolanin? Or do you suggest that Brann move to LHD and play with Zub or Zaitsev? It doesn't work.

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
wprager wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Yes. During the game. Being down to 5 dmen is never good. Especially when you're a big part of the PK or you're expected to stabilize the back-end with someone like Brann as your partner

I know he meant during the game.  But if Boro is a 6-7 guy he is playing, what, 10 minutes? Distributed over the remaining 5 that's an extra 2 minutes -- *IF* he's out the whole game.  On average you're talking missing a half a game for an injury or just 5 minutes for a major; if the remaining 5 can't pick up an extra minute of ice time or an extra shift over the course of 5 minutes then I think you have deeper problems (i.e. your bottom 3-4 D-men are *all* 6-7 guys).

It's not just him - it's his partner as well. You want someone like Brannstrom to play with Boro and to play with another defenceman for multiple spurts in a game? How would there be any consistency and how would that help him develop?

Chabot-Zaitsev
Wolanin-Zub
Boro-Brann

Take Boro out. You really want Brann mixing in with Wolanin? Or do you suggest that Brann move to LHD and play with Zub or Zaitsev? It doesn't work.  

Either option is fine. Doesn't matter.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Ev wrote:
wprager wrote:

Chabot-Zaitsev
Wolanin-Zub
Boro-Brann

Brann needs a solid partner to help with his development. Hainsey would have been the perfect guy but they brought him in a year too early.

Probably an unpopular statement here, but does anyone think Wolanin could be traded at the draft to help the Sens move up a few positions? He's up and coming, there's contract control, and we seem to have a lot of depth at LD (Chabot, Wolanin, Brann, Boro, Reilly, Englund, Lajoie, Aspirot). He may only ever amount to a 5-6 guy given how Brann develops/if they want him on the left side, but would now not be a good time to trade him while his value is high?

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:
wprager wrote:

Chabot-Zaitsev
Wolanin-Zub
Boro-Brann

Brann needs a solid partner to help with his development. Hainsey would have been the perfect guy but they brought him in a year too early.

Probably an unpopular statement here, but does anyone think Wolanin could be traded at the draft to help the Sens move up a few positions? He's up and coming, there's contract control, and we seem to have a lot of depth at LD (Chabot, Wolanin, Brann, Boro, Reilly, Englund, Lajoie, Aspirot). He may only ever amount to a 5-6 guy given how Brann develops/if they want him on the left side, but would now not be a good time to trade him while his value is high?

They can easily sign Hainsey if they really wanted to IMO. Not sure about the Wolanin idea, but I don't think he's a must keep or anything like that.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

That defence is soft as baby Dung. You need Boro in there. Need.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Every team has a "Wolanin" or two on their team or down on the farm. Moving up in the draft will take much more than a *maybe* NHL d-man.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:Every team has a "Wolanin" or two on their team or down on the farm.  Moving up in the draft will take much more than a *maybe* NHL d-man.

Ya but how many teams have 3 first rd picks, and 4 second rd picks?

Isles 1st, Wolanin, 2 2nds for NJ for 7th overall. Ger er done

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

wprager wrote:Every team has a "Wolanin" or two on their team or down on the farm.  Moving up in the draft will take much more than a *maybe* NHL d-man.

Wolanin and 2 seconds to move from 13 to 7 is doable. But if the Isles win and their pick is 21st (or worse) I think it will take a more.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:

Wolanin and 2 seconds to move from 13 to 7 is doable. But if the Isles win and their pick is 21st (or worse) I think it will take a more.

Cool. Throw in another piece. We have tons of fringe prospects (Paul, Lajoie, Chlapik, Abramov) or better yet, if we need to I'd throw in Gus or D'Accord - probably Gus tho.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

You do not trade Gus or D'Accord right now. No thanks. ESPECIALLY not D'Accord.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I'd hate to lose wolanin, but that's a slam dunk. And no to daccord

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

PTFlea wrote:I'd hate to lose wolanin, but that's a slam dunk.  And no to daccord

I would prefer to keep D'Accord over Gus too. New Jersey's Achilles heel is their goaltending. They may decide to draft Askarov with the #7 and this is a moot point. I guess I am just saying that they could probably be enticed to drop down a few spots if it means adding two 2nds and a prospect or two. May be a crazy overpayment for Ottawa. Not sure

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PTFlea wrote:I'd hate to lose wolanin, but that's a slam dunk.  And no to daccord

I would prefer to keep D'Accord over Gus too. New Jersey's Achilles heel is their goaltending. They may decide to draft Askarov with the #7 and this is a moot point. I guess I am just saying that they could probably be enticed to drop down a few spots if it means adding two 2nds and a prospect or two. May be a crazy overpayment for Ottawa. Not sure

i think they're ok on goaltending. they seem satisfied with blackwood.

i personally would not trade Wolanin to move up. maybe i'm alone on this but Wolanin could be a top 4 guy down the road. his value is still too low for what it could be. IMO he's an NHLer, but probably valued at bottom lined NHLer. in a year or two, his value could be exponentially higher.

you sit on him for now unless you get a trade that reflects that value.

with 3 first rounders, i don't think NJ will be at all interested in moving the 7th overall. they might be persuaded to move one of the other two if they can get a 2nd in a package but at this moment they will be looking for top 6 or top 4 NHL ready contributors. NJ wants to make the leap into contenders. they aren't interested in prolonging their rebuild.

i'm looking at teams from outside the rebuild looking to start a revuild to maybe trade with Jersey. maybe Calgary if all goes to Dung this off-season.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Minnesota could be one of those teams that trades with NJ

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Graeme Nichols:

Tom Hoof has been hired as the Ottawa Senators' new VP of Marketing. He had previously held the title of 'VP of Marketing & Game Entertainment' for the Arizona Coyotes for three years. Obviously he has the connection to Anthony LeBlanc from their time together in the desert.

The Ottawa Senators have also poached Jeff Morander from the Arizona Coyotes to be their 'Exec VP of Ticketing Sales and Service'. He worked with the Coyotes as their 'Exec VP of Ticket Sales and Strategy' for almost seven years.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Graeme Nichols:

Tom Hoof has been hired as the Ottawa Senators' new VP of Marketing. He had previously held the title of 'VP of Marketing & Game Entertainment' for the Arizona Coyotes for three years. Obviously he has the connection to Anthony LeBlanc from their time together in the desert.

The Ottawa Senators have also poached Jeff Morander from the Arizona Coyotes to be their 'Exec VP of Ticketing Sales and Service'. He worked with the Coyotes as their 'Exec VP of Ticket Sales and Strategy' for almost seven years.

i'd like to know how those ticket sales did... Facepalm

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Maybe these guys were good and there were management issues there ?

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

The fact that anyone went to a hockey game in Arizona is a win. These guys are better than the nothing they're replacing

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 38 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 52 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum