GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GM Hockey » Ottawa Senators » Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 52 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 37 of 67]

tim1_2


Franchise Player
Franchise Player
I've always loved me some Boro.

Ev


Franchise Player
Franchise Player
tim1_2 wrote:I've always loved me some Boro.

Same. It's just funny seeing the hypocrisy from others who didn't. I doubt he'll be back though. Our D is pretty crowded and they should be going for a bigger piece.

Flo The Action


Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Ev wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:I've always loved me some Boro.

Same. It's just funny seeing the hypocrisy from others who didn't. I doubt he'll be back though. Our D is pretty crowded and they should be going for a bigger piece.

the logic is that had they wanted to bring him back they would have by now. Pierre did say they'd want to make him a sens for life.
I wonder what the reality is. asking for too much money?

I like what he does but a guy like Jaros could get a shot on the blueline bringing that physicality.
plus maybe a pairing of Wolanin and Jaros would yield better results

Chabot- Zaitsev/Zub
Branstrom - Zaitsev/Zub
Wolanin - Jaros
Reilly

seems like a decent combination to start the year (whenever it starts).

you don't even need a guy like Hainsey even though that's what the team seems to be leaning forward.
Maybe you sign him on a one year and warn him that if he can't keep up or if zub is outplaying him there's a position for him on the bench a la Jason Smith.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:I've always loved me some Boro.

Same. It's just funny seeing the hypocrisy from others who didn't. I doubt he'll be back though. Our D is pretty crowded and they should be going for a bigger piece.

the logic is that had they wanted to bring him back they would have by now. Pierre did say they'd want to make him a sens for life.
I wonder what the reality is. asking for too much money?

I like what he does but a guy like Jaros could get a shot on the blueline bringing that physicality.
plus maybe a pairing of Wolanin and Jaros would yield better results

Chabot- Zaitsev/Zub
Branstrom - Zaitsev/Zub
Wolanin - Jaros
Reilly

seems like a decent combination to start the year (whenever it starts).

you don't even need a guy like Hainsey even though that's what the team seems to be leaning forward.
Maybe you sign him on a one year and warn him that if he can't keep up or if zub is outplaying him there's a position for him on the bench a la Jason Smith.


Well nobody is really being signed right now due to covid, but it is starting back up again.

I'm a Boro fan but his spot is easily replaced by Brannstrom (I know they don't do the same thing). They could also offer Gudas a contract.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
I dunno...Boro definitely is not an answer on our D. He's a good 6th/7th guy which we have a lot of. Chabot is our only legitimate top 4 guy and the rest is a bit of a mess. Hopefully some of the young guys start actually panning out.

DefenceWinsChampionships


Veteran
Veteran
Boro is the perfect 4th liner IMO. I'd rather him on a wing forechecking, standing in front of a net, and being a forward on the PK. That way when he's in the box or leaves the game due to an injury, he's not crippling the back-end. And if there is an injury, he can slip into a defensive position. Similar to what Schubert was back in the day

DefenceWinsChampionships


Veteran
Veteran
Imagine how scared a d-man would be seeing Boro flying at him along the boards. Dump, chase, hit, turnover.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Boro is the perfect 4th liner IMO. I'd rather him on a wing forechecking, standing in front of a net, and being a forward on the PK. That way when he's in the box or leaves the game due to an injury, he's not crippling the back-end. And if there is an injury, he can slip into a defensive position. Similar to what Schubert was back in the day

he's been tried there before. You need your forward to have more puck skill.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Yeah, that's a big no-thanks to him being a fourth liner. Ideally I'd like the fourth line to chip in the odd goal, and then a third line is the shut down guys that match up against the other teams top line.

DefenceWinsChampionships


Veteran
Veteran
tim1_2 wrote:Yeah, that's a big no-thanks to him being a fourth liner.  Ideally I'd like the fourth line to chip in the odd goal, and then a third line is the shut down guys that match up against the other teams top line.

I think in the new NHL you need three scoring lines one of which is capable of playing 200 feet. I'm envisioning a future 3rd line of Formenton-Norris-White.

I know it's an unpopular decision but Boro plays recklessly at times which makes him prone to injury. If he leaves the game due to injury it really impacts the rest of the d core. I also think you need a player on your team to insulate the younger, more vulnerable guys, and you don't want that player being Tkachuk. If that guy is Boro then great, but the Sens can't afford to lose him for 5 minutes in the box and be down to five defencemen for large parts of the game. Very few 'enforcers' in the NHL are dmen and there's a reason for it.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
If losing a 6-7D affects your whole D-corps I would argue that he's either not a 6-7D or that you've got problems, and getting rid of him will just make those problems worse.



Last edited by wprager on Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
wprager wrote:If losing a 6-7D affects your whole D-corps I would argue that he's either not a 6-7D or that you've got problems, and getting rid of him will just make those problems worse.

i think he meant during the actual game.

DefenceWinsChampionships


Veteran
Veteran
Yes. During the game. Being down to 5 dmen is never good. Especially when you're a big part of the PK or you're expected to stabilize the back-end with someone like Brann as your partner

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:Yeah, that's a big no-thanks to him being a fourth liner.  Ideally I'd like the fourth line to chip in the odd goal, and then a third line is the shut down guys that match up against the other teams top line.

I think in the new NHL you need three scoring lines one of which is capable of playing 200 feet. I'm envisioning a future 3rd line of Formenton-Norris-White.

 

I was going to say exactly this. Your third line has to be able to score and shutdown, it's thankless, but those are prime minutes.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Yes. During the game. Being down to 5 dmen is never good. Especially when you're a big part of the PK or you're expected to stabilize the back-end with someone like Brann as your partner

I know he meant during the game. But if Boro is a 6-7 guy he is playing, what, 10 minutes? Distributed over the remaining 5 that's an extra 2 minutes -- *IF* he's out the whole game. On average you're talking missing a half a game for an injury or just 5 minutes for a major; if the remaining 5 can't pick up an extra minute of ice time or an extra shift over the course of 5 minutes then I think you have deeper problems (i.e. your bottom 3-4 D-men are *all* 6-7 guys).


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

DefenceWinsChampionships


Veteran
Veteran
wprager wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Yes. During the game. Being down to 5 dmen is never good. Especially when you're a big part of the PK or you're expected to stabilize the back-end with someone like Brann as your partner

I know he meant during the game.  But if Boro is a 6-7 guy he is playing, what, 10 minutes? Distributed over the remaining 5 that's an extra 2 minutes -- *IF* he's out the whole game.  On average you're talking missing a half a game for an injury or just 5 minutes for a major; if the remaining 5 can't pick up an extra minute of ice time or an extra shift over the course of 5 minutes then I think you have deeper problems (i.e. your bottom 3-4 D-men are *all* 6-7 guys).


It's not just him - it's his partner as well. You want someone like Brannstrom to play with Boro and to play with another defenceman for multiple spurts in a game? How would there be any consistency and how would that help him develop?

As it stands now, I am thinking the d pairings next year are

Chabot-Zaitsev
Wolanin-Zub
Boro-Brann
Extra: Rielly

Take Boro out. You really want Brann mixing in with Wolanin? Or do you suggest that Brann move to LHD and play with Zub or Zaitsev? It doesn't work.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
wprager wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Yes. During the game. Being down to 5 dmen is never good. Especially when you're a big part of the PK or you're expected to stabilize the back-end with someone like Brann as your partner

I know he meant during the game.  But if Boro is a 6-7 guy he is playing, what, 10 minutes? Distributed over the remaining 5 that's an extra 2 minutes -- *IF* he's out the whole game.  On average you're talking missing a half a game for an injury or just 5 minutes for a major; if the remaining 5 can't pick up an extra minute of ice time or an extra shift over the course of 5 minutes then I think you have deeper problems (i.e. your bottom 3-4 D-men are *all* 6-7 guys).


It's not just him - it's his partner as well. You want someone like Brannstrom to play with Boro and to play with another defenceman for multiple spurts in a game? How would there be any consistency and how would that help him develop?

As it stands now, I am thinking the d pairings next year are

Chabot-Zaitsev
Wolanin-Zub
Boro-Brann
Extra: Rielly

Take Boro out. You really want Brann mixing in with Wolanin? Or do you suggest that Brann move to LHD and play with Zub or Zaitsev? It doesn't work.  

Either option is fine. Doesn't matter.

DefenceWinsChampionships


Veteran
Veteran
Ev wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
wprager wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Yes. During the game. Being down to 5 dmen is never good. Especially when you're a big part of the PK or you're expected to stabilize the back-end with someone like Brann as your partner

I know he meant during the game.  But if Boro is a 6-7 guy he is playing, what, 10 minutes? Distributed over the remaining 5 that's an extra 2 minutes -- *IF* he's out the whole game.  On average you're talking missing a half a game for an injury or just 5 minutes for a major; if the remaining 5 can't pick up an extra minute of ice time or an extra shift over the course of 5 minutes then I think you have deeper problems (i.e. your bottom 3-4 D-men are *all* 6-7 guys).


It's not just him - it's his partner as well. You want someone like Brannstrom to play with Boro and to play with another defenceman for multiple spurts in a game? How would there be any consistency and how would that help him develop?

As it stands now, I am thinking the d pairings next year are

Chabot-Zaitsev
Wolanin-Zub
Boro-Brann
Extra: Rielly

Take Boro out. You really want Brann mixing in with Wolanin? Or do you suggest that Brann move to LHD and play with Zub or Zaitsev? It doesn't work.  

Either option is fine. Doesn't matter.

Brann needs a solid partner to help with his development. Hainsey would have been the perfect guy but they brought him in a year too early.

Probably an unpopular statement here, but does anyone think Wolanin could be traded at the draft to help the Sens move up a few positions? He's up and coming, there's contract control, and we seem to have a lot of depth at LD (Chabot, Wolanin, Brann, Boro, Reilly, Englund, Lajoie, Aspirot). He may only ever amount to a 5-6 guy given how Brann develops/if they want him on the left side, but would now not be a good time to trade him while his value is high?

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 37 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 52 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum