GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pageau - Keep him or Trade him?

+4
Flo The Action
DefenceWinsChampionships
Hockeyhero22000
tim1_2
8 posters

Should the Sens keep Pageau, or trade him?

Pageau - Keep him or Trade him? Vote_lcap214%Pageau - Keep him or Trade him? Vote_rcap2 14% [ 1 ]
Pageau - Keep him or Trade him? Vote_lcap286%Pageau - Keep him or Trade him? Vote_rcap2 86% [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 7

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Pageau - Keep him or Trade him? Empty Pageau - Keep him or Trade him? Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:23 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Self-explanatory.  And I'm not concerned with the return.  Either you think Ottawa should take what they can get for JGP, or they should hold onto him.

I know we have emotional attachment to him. He works his arse off, he’s scored a ton of clutch goals for us (i.e. that 4 goal game in the playoffs vs the Rangers), and he’s been around for a long time. He’s likely a good role model for the younger players. That said, I think we should trade him. He’s never going to have as much trade value as he does right now. There’s always the potential of resigning him in the summer, but I’d take my chances and trade him sooner rather than later. Whether it’s a late first rounder or some combo of prospects and picks, I’d take what we can get. There’s plenty of teams with playoff dreams that should be lining up for him….

2Pageau - Keep him or Trade him? Empty Re: Pageau - Keep him or Trade him? Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:01 pm

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

I don't disagree that his value won't be higher but I feel like he would be a good one to keep around to be with the younger players and can easily slide down in the lineup but still prove to be useful in the future. I think even as he ages I think will be good to us I think we should keep him.

3Pageau - Keep him or Trade him? Empty Re: Pageau - Keep him or Trade him? Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:15 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:Self-explanatory.  And I'm not concerned with the return.  Either you think Ottawa should take what they can get for JGP, or they should hold onto him.

I know we have emotional attachment to him.  He works his arse off, he’s scored a ton of clutch goals for us (i.e. that 4 goal game in the playoffs vs the Rangers), and he’s been around for a long time.  He’s likely a good role model for the younger players.  That said, I think we should trade him.  He’s never going to have as much trade value as he does right now.  There’s always the potential of resigning him in the summer, but I’d take my chances and trade him sooner rather than later.  Whether it’s a late first rounder or some combo of prospects and picks, I’d take what we can get.  There’s plenty of teams with playoff dreams that should be lining up for him….

I 100% think it depends on the return. Hall just set the market. Pageau is worth at least half of what Hall is worth IMO based on the fact that he's:

- 2nd in the league in plus-minus on the third worst team in the league
- He can play against any team's top-line and shut them down
- He can play PP and PK
- He can play up and down the lineup
- His cap hit is so low that he can fit in with virtually any team looking to add
- He can be re-signed for relatively cheap ($4-5M); likely wants term over money

I think the factors above drive him to at least a 1st and a prospect.

As for the reasons for keeping him, I'd be more inclined to re-sign Boro from a leadership perspective even if Boro is retained as a 7th dman. I do think vet leadership is important but we have Tkachuk who exemplifies this. Let a young team be young and make mistakes.

4Pageau - Keep him or Trade him? Empty Re: Pageau - Keep him or Trade him? Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:34 pm

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:Self-explanatory.  And I'm not concerned with the return.  Either you think Ottawa should take what they can get for JGP, or they should hold onto him.

I know we have emotional attachment to him.  He works his arse off, he’s scored a ton of clutch goals for us (i.e. that 4 goal game in the playoffs vs the Rangers), and he’s been around for a long time.  He’s likely a good role model for the younger players.  That said, I think we should trade him.  He’s never going to have as much trade value as he does right now.  There’s always the potential of resigning him in the summer, but I’d take my chances and trade him sooner rather than later.  Whether it’s a late first rounder or some combo of prospects and picks, I’d take what we can get.  There’s plenty of teams with playoff dreams that should be lining up for him….

I 100% think it depends on the return. Hall just set the market. Pageau is worth at least half of what Hall is worth IMO based on the fact that he's:

- 2nd in the league in plus-minus on the third worst team in the league
- He can play against any team's top-line and shut them down
- He can play PP and PK
- He can play up and down the lineup
- His cap hit is so low that he can fit in with virtually any team looking to add
- He can be re-signed for relatively cheap ($4-5M); likely wants term over money

I think the factors above drive him to at least a 1st and a prospect.

As for the reasons for keeping him, I'd be more inclined to re-sign Boro from a leadership perspective even if Boro is retained as a 7th dman. I do think vet leadership is important but we have Tkachuk who exemplifies this. Let a young team be young and make mistakes.

I think Boro is way overvalued by this team time and again. And if they keep him they wouldn't scratch him even if he was 7th I would rather pageau for most the reasons you listed for trading him

5Pageau - Keep him or Trade him? Empty Re: Pageau - Keep him or Trade him? Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:48 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

it's all about returns.
that said, i do think Pageau should be traded. he should get us more than what brassard got us. whether that happens remains to be seen. and i think if he's traded there is no way he's resigned. he'll go where either they will give him the best salary or where he has the highest chances of winning in the now.

you do trade Boro. even if it's for a 3rd round pick.
if there was ever a guy that we could resign in FA it's him. that's if the team figures he fits in the plans of the org going forward.

6Pageau - Keep him or Trade him? Empty Re: Pageau - Keep him or Trade him? Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:04 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Oh I don't think Boro fits in our plans. But he's probably a good locker room guy. Our left side next year is Chabot, brann, wolanin. Maybe resign Boro if you move Brann to the right side assuming we lose hainsey. But that also depends on what we do with demelo.

Not sure JBD is ready for the NHL. If he is hainsey demelo and Boro may as well go. If he's not ready you keep one of those guys. My bet is they keep Boro though logically they should be keeping demelo

7Pageau - Keep him or Trade him? Empty Re: Pageau - Keep him or Trade him? Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:53 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Trade and look to sign him in offseason.

That is if he gets a good return like a 1st. Otherwise it's not needed IMO.

8Pageau - Keep him or Trade him? Empty Re: Pageau - Keep him or Trade him? Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:05 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Agreed. If you can get a good return then for sure trade him.

- Unknown Author

9Pageau - Keep him or Trade him? Empty Re: Pageau - Keep him or Trade him? Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:06 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

So what do we think good return is for Pageau? A mid to late 1st rounder or equivalent prospect?

10Pageau - Keep him or Trade him? Empty Re: Pageau - Keep him or Trade him? Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:54 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Ev wrote:Trade and look to sign him in offseason.

That is if he gets a good return like a 1st. Otherwise it's not needed IMO.

This exactly.

No one appears willing to give a 1st these days - not outright anyway and not in this deep draft, so we might get offers of a 2nd and an ok prospect and you have to ask, is it better to keep the guy that you know and sign him to a 4.5 X 5 or maybe even a 5 X 5 or get the 2nd and fringe prospect?

I vote sign him.

Unless...there's a 1st involved.

11Pageau - Keep him or Trade him? Empty Re: Pageau - Keep him or Trade him? Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:55 am

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Both - a mid-to-late 1st and a mid-tier prospect. He's exactly what a team like Calgary, Philly or the Rangers need to boost them into the playoffs and maybe win a round. Hell - any team could use him.

12Pageau - Keep him or Trade him? Empty Re: Pageau - Keep him or Trade him? Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:41 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

There’s gotta a be a 1st involved or a great prospect and a 2nd.

Remember Stone didn’t get us a 1st (but a great prospect)
But no B prospects.
Someone solid has to be involved if it’s only a second plus some kid

13Pageau - Keep him or Trade him? Empty Re: Pageau - Keep him or Trade him? Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:48 am

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Stone was an A prospect, a 2nd, and a depth player. It's hard to say if we can expect that type of return. My guess is a 1st and a depth d-man to help in Belleville but I think he stays in the East or goes to Calgary

14Pageau - Keep him or Trade him? Empty Re: Pageau - Keep him or Trade him? Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:38 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Stone was an A prospect, a 2nd, and a depth player. It's hard to say if we can expect that type of return. My guess is a 1st and a depth d-man to help in Belleville but I think he stays in the East or goes to Calgary

i always forget about Oskar being part of the deal. i think that was for Vegas to clear space TBH.
i don't think we see that type of return where we get an Org's best prospect or second-best but top 4 would be nice. i guess it depends on the depth an org has in prospects. It's pretty Dung in calgary, therefore, I'd want their 1st.

15Pageau - Keep him or Trade him? Empty Re: Pageau - Keep him or Trade him? Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:09 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I love Pageau, but with White getting $4.75M he's due $5M+ on a 3 year contract. That's a lot to pay for a 3C. I'm afraid he's priced himself out of this market.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum