GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+6
Flo The Action
tim1_2
Hockeyhero22000
Ev
Lagoon
PTFlea
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 33 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 64 of 67]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Two more sleeps until main camp.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Apparently wolanin has been working on playing the right all summer according to boo boo

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

So did Wiercioch, Cowen, and Phillips.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

It also sounds like Chabot-Zaitsev will be a thing

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:It also sounds like Chabot-Zaitsev will be a thing

Smith also said he may try Hainsey with Chabot. He seems to want to see how other options will work could help balance out the second line wolanin and demelo

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hockeyhero22000 wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:It also sounds like Chabot-Zaitsev will be a thing

Smith also said he may try Hainsey with Chabot. He seems to want to see how other options will work could help balance out the second line wolanin and demelo

Yeah, he talked about basically every player getting a chance with chabot. Zaitsev will probably win out because he's a really poor player historically at stopping zone entrance and chabot is quite good at getting the puck back and out. Also, he's average at best in the neutral zone while chabot is probably in the upper echelon. So it'll come down to how to utilize zaitsev properly and what Smith wants out of him.

I read a detailed report of zaitsev yesterday and the prognosis is not great. Crap at zone entry defence, bad in neutral zone, loads of secondary assists, few primary, shot not used often, icing king.

I'll try to find it, but I dampened my spirit about him.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I mean...then I think that Smith championed to get him and I hope to Diddle that he had a hidden plan for him.

https://theleafsnation.com/2017/05/04/the-nikita-zaitsev-contract-is-bad-and-the-leafs-will-probably-regret-signing-it/

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Yeah, I'll withhold final judgement until I see Zaitsev in action for a few weeks. Currently, it seems like we just got Ceci back on a longer term. Not great.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I think you’ll see fairly early on how he isn’t Ceci. He’s certainly better than DeMelo

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I continue to hold out hope until I see him + he's assimilated into the system and lineup. Smith might want to undo the harness on him so he can gallop up and down the ice - in which case, I'm not sold on Chabot being his best suited partner, but I'm nervous at the stats that bear out that he's another Ceci. We'll see, I hope you're right Ev, I think you might be, but that's basically just optimism speaking.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

PTFlea wrote:
Hockeyhero22000 wrote:

Yeah, he talked about basically every player getting a chance with chabot.  Zaitsev will probably win out because he's a really poor player historically at stopping zone entrance and chabot is quite good at getting the puck back and out.  Also, he's average at best in the neutral zone while chabot is probably in the upper echelon.  So it'll come down to how to utilize zaitsev properly and what Smith wants out of him.

I read a detailed report of zaitsev yesterday and the prognosis is not great.  Crap at zone entry defence, bad in neutral zone, loads of secondary assists, few primary, shot not used often, icing king.

I've heard the same thing. Have not seen an article on this. But seriously - is he any worse than Ceci?

I watched a Gardiner highlight package the other day. Man is Toronto going to be disappointed if they think Ceci can replace him on the right. I remember at one point Gardiner was being considered the Leafs' Karlsson equivalent.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I also think the Leafs gameplan was to outscore everybody. I don't think they paid as much attention to the d-zone as they probably should have.

Plus if Zaitsev decides to bolt to the KHL, it wouldn't be a huge loss for the Sens.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Dorion also confirmed in that interview that Brannstrom prefers the right side. Maybe the Sens rather have him on the left side but maybe Brannstrom slides up faster on the right. Or so he hopes.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
PTFlea wrote:
Hockeyhero22000 wrote:

Yeah, he talked about basically every player getting a chance with chabot.  Zaitsev will probably win out because he's a really poor player historically at stopping zone entrance and chabot is quite good at getting the puck back and out.  Also, he's average at best in the neutral zone while chabot is probably in the upper echelon.  So it'll come down to how to utilize zaitsev properly and what Smith wants out of him.

I read a detailed report of zaitsev yesterday and the prognosis is not great.  Crap at zone entry defence, bad in neutral zone, loads of secondary assists, few primary, shot not used often, icing king.

I've heard the same thing. Have not seen an article on this. But seriously - is he any worse than Ceci?

I watched a Gardiner highlight package the other day. Man is Toronto going to be disappointed if they think Ceci can replace him on the right. I remember at one point Gardiner was being considered the Leafs' Karlsson equivalent.

That guy in the article I posted said Gardiner has a lot better defence than people make out. I don't really buy it 100%, but he's certainly better than Ceci. Was 4 million really ever on the table, or did Gardiner think he could get more?

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Flo The Action wrote:Dorion also confirmed in that interview  that Brannstrom prefers the right side. Maybe the Sens rather have him on the left side but maybe Brannstrom slides up faster on the right. Or so he hopes.

Dorion's such a windbag though, I don't believe a word he says anymore. Smug little smile that I'd love to erase from his mouth. Boxing

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I heard Brannstrom interviewed on the Home Tour or whatever it's called saying he prefers the left. Maybe he knows there are more opportunities playing on the right - especially on the last pairing with someone like Hainsey. I just don't see where Wolanin and Brann both fit in with Boro, Chabot, Hainsey, Zaitsev, De Melo all on one-ways and Jaros having a full NHL season under his belt.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I heard Brannstrom interviewed on the Home Tour or whatever it's called saying he prefers the left. Maybe he knows there are more opportunities playing on the right - especially on the last pairing with someone like Hainsey. I just don't see where Wolanin and Brann both fit in with Boro, Chabot, Hainsey, Zaitsev, De Melo all on one-ways and Jaros having a full NHL season under his belt.

Yeah, there's no room until there are injuries and he needs some time in the AHL IMO. He had what would be considered a really strong 50 games in the AHL last season, but it certainly wouldn't hurt him to get another 30 under his belt after his injury last year.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PTFlea wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:Dorion also confirmed in that interview  that Brannstrom prefers the right side. Maybe the Sens rather have him on the left side but maybe Brannstrom slides up faster on the right. Or so he hopes.

Dorion's such a windbag though, I don't believe a word he says anymore.  Smug little smile that I'd love to erase from his mouth.  Boxing

Well I heard Brannstrom say the same thing though. So I wonder if there’s a point where they might try that. Could there be a world where we have a Chabot - Brannstrom pairing one day?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 64 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 33 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum