GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+6
Flo The Action
tim1_2
Hockeyhero22000
Ev
Lagoon
PTFlea
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 27 ... 51, 52, 53 ... 59 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 52 of 67]

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

This deal was fine. No room for Condon and he can't sit there not playing. He'll be sent to the minors and Domingue will be traded.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I also think this now green lights a move to trade Boedker. The cap floor has been hit, and the Sens still need to sign White. I imagine they want Veronneau and/or Davidsson to start with the big squad. I think Chlapik has paid his dues in the AHL as well.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Really? We acquired Callahan? And he won't play this year?

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

Dorion has lost it. Completely. He’s playing us all.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

Flo The Action wrote:Im gonna be the first one to say it... this was all about the money for Uncle Scrooge. We could have gotten better picks back or a prospect had we just eaten Condon’s contract. But no, Eugene will save every dollar he can instead of actually gaining assets for this team.

Dig even deeper it is so clear. The only thing he helped the actual team with is probably at most 3-4 draft selections. 3 to 4 spots in the draft. Comical.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Lagoon wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:Im gonna be the first one to say it... this was all about the money for Uncle Scrooge. We could have gotten better picks back or a prospect had we just eaten Condon’s contract. But no, Eugene will save every dollar he can instead of actually gaining assets for this team.

Dig even deeper it is so clear. The only thing he helped the actual team with is probably at most 3-4 draft selections. 3 to 4 spots in the draft. Comical.

Yeah, but why sit on Condon who's making 3 million dollars, when you can find a team who wants to jettison a different situation and save $$? Why bother not taking the chance to save the $$$?

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Not sure why this is a bad deal and why people are questioning it. The Sens pay 80% of Callahan's contract for one year in exchange for Condon's complete salary for one year.

The Sens get a $5.8M cap hit that will cost them $800K in salary vs a $2.4M cap hit that would have cost them $3M cash. It was a financial deal for both teams as Tampa gains $3.4M in cap room that they need to sign Point. They can send Condon down to the minors as money is a non factor for them. They will move Domingue and will create more cap space for themselves. The picks are a wash. It move the Sens up a few spots but the financial savings for Ottawa is $2.2M in cash and the big cap hit which is the key to this trade.

This is literally a moneyball tactic. It frees up $2.2M cash for the Sens to sign White at no additional cost to the team. Take what White made last season (approx. $900K or so) and voila. You have a White contract at roughly $3M-$3.5M which at this point in his career is fair value.

But to reiterate, I think it will open the door to a Boedker trade. I think the Sens are out of the business of paying 3rd and 4th liners "big money" contracts. I am not sure who'd be interested in him though.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Not sure why this is a bad deal and why people are questioning it. The Sens pay 80% of Callahan's contract for one year in exchange for Condon's complete salary for one year.

The Sens get a $5.8M cap hit that will cost them $800K in salary vs a $2.4M cap hit that would have cost them $3M cash. It was a financial deal for both teams as Tampa gains $3.4M in cap room that they need to sign Point. They can send Condon down to the minors as money is a non factor for them. They will move Domingue and will create more cap space for themselves. The picks are a wash. It move the Sens up a few spots but the financial savings for Ottawa is $2.2M in cash and the big cap hit which is the key to this trade.

This is literally a moneyball tactic. It frees up $2.2M cash for the Sens to sign White at no additional cost to the team. Take what White made last season (approx. $900K or so) and voila. You have a White contract at roughly $3M-$3.5M which at this point in his career is fair value.

But to reiterate, I think it will open the door to a Boedker trade. I think the Sens are out of the business of paying 3rd and 4th liners "big money" contracts. I am not sure who'd be interested in him though.

The trade also gives Condon a chance to resurrect his career while also clearing out a goalie from a jammed system. A Condon trade was imminent and the Sens are clearly in the business of cheaping out and doing whatever it takes to hit the cap floor. It was a good trade for both teams. Even better if Callahan shows up in Ottawa to help behind the bench. He's a perfect mentor for Tkachuk.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

It's because people wanted Ottawa to take the Callahan contract without giving up anything and getting a 2nd or 3rd rounder back with it. Which, if that was possible, I assume the other low cap teams would have looked at, but who knows.

People just HATE Melnyk right now, it's something that Canada probably hasn't seen in decades.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

I’m sure you meant insurance pays 80% of Callahan’s salary, not the Sens.

The fact that that these swapped picks have the highest probabIlity of being right before and after one another and that it is all Dorion could muster is just comical. It is a complete sideshow right now. I expect Point’s contract announcement shortly. There is no GM worse than Dorion. How can you not hope for Tampa winning the cup and the Sens being 31st now?

So far the offseason, a team has paid $4 million for a 1st rounder, 1 million for a 4th rounder and then we have Dorion making a deal to save 2 mil in actual salary for one spot in the draft. Quality asset management.

Can’t trade star payers within the division and get the best return for your team, but you can sure as hell help the best teams in the division like Toronto and Tampa get out of cap hell so that they can improve their teams. All that for basically nothing that helps your team on the ice. 1 spot difference in the draft.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Lagoon wrote:I’m sure you meant insurance pays 80% of Callahan’s salary, not the Sens.

The fact that that these swapped picks have the highest probabIlity of being right before and after one another and that it is all Dorion could muster is just comical. It is a complete sideshow right now. I expect Point’s contract announcement shortly. There is no GM worse than Dorion. How can you not hope for Tampa winning the cup and the Sens being 31st now?

So far the offseason, a team has paid $4 million for a 1st rounder, 1 million for a 4th rounder and then we have Dorion making a deal to save 2 mil in actual salary for one spot in the draft. Quality asset management.

Can’t trade star payers within the division and get the best return for your team, but you can sure as hell help the best teams in the division like Toronto and Tampa get out of cap hell so that they can improve their teams. All that for basically nothing that helps your team on the ice. 1 spot difference in the draft.

those teams would have been helped regardless. I don't think it matters right now. As long as we have good development from players and a good draft pick, that's all I care about this year. All this other stuff is fluff that won't matter in a few years.

I also don't blame Dorion. He's not a great GM but it's not like he would want to keep looking for these money saving deals willingly. That's just his job at the moment. You get meaningless deals like this one but also good ones like the Smith trade.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Ev wrote:
Lagoon wrote:I’m sure you meant insurance pays 80% of Callahan’s salary, not the Sens.

those teams would have been helped regardless. I don't think it matters right now. As long as we have good development from players and a good draft pick, that's all I care about this year. All this other stuff is fluff that won't matter in a few years.

I also don't blame Dorion. He's not a great GM but it's not like he would want to keep looking for these money saving deals willingly. That's just his job at the moment. You get meaningless deals like this one but also good ones like the Smith trade.

Yes. Insurance pays 80%. That's what I meant.

And the spots in the draft are a wash. Maybe it'll be a few spots more if Tampa flops again. But at that point they're virtually nothing picks anyway.

$15M+ in LTIR contracts. Imagine we spent that on actual players right now with our core. We'd be a hell of a lot more competitive. Ticket sales will be embarrassing and Melnyk will be forced to sell. He's probably biding his time until he gets his cut of the Seattle expansion fee.

2019: Condon savings = White's contract extension
2020: Anderson + Hainsey + Ennis savings = Chabot's contract extension
2021: Anisimov + Gaborik = Tkachuk extension
2020: Ryan's savings = top-ups for everyone else

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I bet he has no plans at all of selling.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

He'll get approximately $22M USD for the expansion fee.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:He'll get approximately $22M USD for the expansion fee.

It's not really just that, he has it set up to draw against the team and the money he's been lent. Someone explained it to me and I just can't barf it up into words, but he certainly can operate this team for a minimum of 7 years, then start the whole process over again.

In about 5 years, I think the NHL will have to do something about it. Although, I don't see where or how they could ever have a leg to stand on personally. They may go to the owners and the BOG and see if they can somehow oust Melnyk, but again, on what grounds? Let's say he meets all the requirements, ie he spends to the cap, he keeps his facility running, he keeps people paid etc., on what grounds would they ever have to get rid of him legally?

It'll be a mess. Some of us are young enough to live through this and see a real owner, some of us are not (Prager). I'm scared though, this could be a LONG battle.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Cannot see him lasting three years let alone five

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

PTFlea wrote:It's because people wanted Ottawa to take the Callahan contract without giving up anything and getting a 2nd or 3rd rounder back with it.  Which, if that was possible, I assume the other low cap teams would have looked at, but who knows.

People just HATE Melnyk right now, it's something that Canada probably hasn't seen in decades.

And rightfully so. If we had a real owner and a real GM, we buy Condon out of his atrocious contract that you yourself signed him to for no good reason after signing another fringe goalie earlier named Hamburgler. Once you buy Condon out, you actually have leverage to take on someone’s cap problem and get a quality asset in return and not just 1 individual draft spot.

But instead, Tampa says hey, we can save you real dollars and give you a better draft pick. Sold. That’s how it went.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Ev wrote:Cannot see him lasting three years let alone five

We all hope, but that's less than a given.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 52 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 27 ... 51, 52, 53 ... 59 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum