GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GM Hockey » Ottawa Senators » Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 27 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 59 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 51 of 67]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Lagoon wrote:Every once in awhile I forget that there won’t be any legitimate NHLer voluntarily sign in Ottawa or waive a clause to be traded here. The only way we will get a legit player is via trade if that player doesn’t have a trade clause to stop it. Even then, that player won’t stay for long as legit players need to be paid more eventually. Drafting is our only hope and even then after the ELC is over, I have my doubts. Reading how low our actually salary is this year versus cap hit is really embarrassing for Sens fans.

It's not embarrassing at all right now, because theoretically this is all part of that rebuild scheme. You purge the big $$ players for picks and prospects and you have about 2 years at the bottom where you should be paying little to nothing, THEN you pay.

The problem is, no one in the world trusts Melnyk to spend when the time comes.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Lagoon wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I'll take a Klingberg comparison but we also need defencemen who play nasty and can defend. 5 PMDs and Jaros might be too soft a group (Chabot, Brannstrom, wolanin, Thomson, JBD). We need a Methot type

I disagree about needing a limited one dimensional Dman like Methot to help our PMDmen. You don’t need it. Our puck movers are all decent at separating players from the puck with positioning and active sticks. Once they’ve done that, if our forwards recognize it fast enough, we can break the zone with our strength in puck moving. The game is changing. I’m not saying I don’t or didnt want a plug veteran like Schenn or Polak or best case help Vegas when they needed it and take cap in exchange for McNabb or Engelland. Zaitsev and Hainsey are close but meh.

I have to agree, I'll take all the Klingbergs in the world over big, no skill D-men. No one can touch Chabot so it becomes moot on how big he is.

I will say that I wouldn't mind our 3rd pairing guy with Jaros to be big though.

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Well you can debate his talent but Zaitsev did waive to come here

I’m still of the belief that Melnyk will sell soon, but in the meantime if the payroll is low just keep stockpiling picks and prospects along with current core players and we will be good in a few years. Different sport but look at the Tampa Bay Rays who have the lowest payroll in the league and are currently playing really well and in a wild card position.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran
Ev wrote:Well you can debate his talent but Zaitsev did waive to come here

Yeah, I definitely said legit players for a reason.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Lagoon wrote:
Ev wrote:Well you can debate his talent but Zaitsev did waive to come here

Yeah, I definitely said legit players for a reason.

Will it be legit when he hits 40 points this season?

I was not a fan of the trade personally - in that Toronto was desperate to get rid of Zaitsev and we absolutely and positively should not have added a pick, it should have been a 2nd rounder from them.

However...Zaitsev clearly has talent. He showed it by scoring 26 points in 46 games as a 23 year old in the KHL and 32 in 57 as a 22 year old the year before. Then he comes into the NHL and scores 36 points in 82 games as a right handed D-man - a position in massive demand.

The following 2 years you see the steep decline of someone who has lost his confidence - probably from the coach. The rub here is DJ Smith was running the D, but I question how much rope he was given to work with from Babcock.

If...repeat IF he can come here fresh and get his confidence back playing with either Chabot or Wolanin - and getting back some PP time, I think he can really rebound.

Again though, I'm not sure how anyone can justify giving a pick from Ottawa's POV, but we'll soon see if this trade is the albatross Toronto fans claim, or if Babcock is just a dinosaur of a coach who misused him and nearly ruined him.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
He waived to play under DJ. Clearly there is a good relationship there. He is not a shutdown d-man so don't expect him to play the same role as Ceci. He will play on the second pairing and will have PP time. 30-40 points is not out of realm of possible.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
I think we'll need a good puck moving 40 points for this to be worth the long term of the contract etc. Which I'm starting to think he can do with the right coaching staff and his confidence back.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
PTFlea wrote:I think we'll need a good puck moving 40 points for this to be worth the long term of the contract etc.  Which I'm starting to think he can do with the right coaching staff and his confidence back.
Does he? I mean at that salary these days you get a 30 point guy that’s a #4 guy.
I’m not expecting much. a little offence, but more importantly I hope he’s better defensively than he’s been touted by leafs fans recently.
I don’t think you wanna break up the Chabot Demelo pairing so it really looks like you have a Wolanin-Zaitsev pairing to start the year. (Unless Wolanin comes into camp completely out of shape and regresses.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Flo The Action wrote:
PTFlea wrote:I think we'll need a good puck moving 40 points for this to be worth the long term of the contract etc.  Which I'm starting to think he can do with the right coaching staff and his confidence back.
Does he? I mean at that salary these days you get a 30 point guy that’s a #4 guy.
I’m not expecting much. a little offence, but more importantly I hope he’s better defensively than he’s been touted by leafs fans recently.
I don’t think you wanna break up the Chabot Demelo pairing so it really looks like you have a Wolanin-Zaitsev pairing to start the year. (Unless Wolanin comes into camp completely out of shape and regresses.

Fair enough. I think 40 points will make Zaitsev look good and feel good and prepare him to be moved down the road, but you're right, 30 would be ok.

30 just means an adequate player though, 40 means you have an impact player.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
PTFlea wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

Fair enough.  I think 40 points will make Zaitsev look good and feel good and prepare him to be moved down the road, but you're right, 30 would be ok.

30 just means an adequate player though, 40 means you have an impact player.

I would predict about 35 which would be OK. Either way it will be hard to judge this season as we will likely be bad.

edit: actually that's too much, i'd say 30 max

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
30 points from a second pairing RHD isn't bad. If we can get the same from wolanin and 50-60 from Chabot thats a lot of scoring from our D. Add brannstrom in next season and off we go.

Personally I want to see Ottawa lose games but be in them. Consistency from the prospects will be key this season.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
Sens acquire Callahan in exchange for Condon. Picks going back both ways. Good trade for both teams. I'm curious to see if Callahan reports and helps behind the bench with player development. Probably not though.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Sens acquire Callahan in exchange for Condon. Picks going back both ways. Good trade for both teams. I'm curious to see if Callahan reports and helps behind the bench with player development. Probably not though.

yeah he won't play but he'd be perfect to help the Americans.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Im gonna be the first one to say it... this was all about the money for Uncle Scrooge. We could have gotten better picks back or a prospect had we just eaten Condon’s contract. But no, Eugene will save every dollar he can instead of actually gaining assets for this team.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Flo The Action wrote:Im gonna be the first one to say it... this was all about the money for Uncle Scrooge. We could have gotten better picks back or a prospect had we just eaten Condon’s contract. But no, Eugene will save every dollar he can instead of actually gaining assets for this team.

Of course it's about money just like it was about money for TB to make the move. The problem is Condon had no value so this is probably the only way to get rid of him. Clarkson was moved for a 4th, you're not gonna get anything better for taking a one year cap hit.

You also can't just eat Condon's contract by having him not play if healthy. He had to be moved eventually.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
This deal was fine. No room for Condon and he can't sit there not playing. He'll be sent to the minors and Domingue will be traded.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
I also think this now green lights a move to trade Boedker. The cap floor has been hit, and the Sens still need to sign White. I imagine they want Veronneau and/or Davidsson to start with the big squad. I think Chlapik has paid his dues in the AHL as well.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Really? We acquired Callahan? And he won't play this year?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 51 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 27 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 59 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum