GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19

+6
Lagoon
PTFlea
Flo The Action
Ev
wprager
DefenceWinsChampionships
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 34 ... 65, 66, 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 66 of 67]

Lagoon

Veteran
Veteran

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Heard him on the radio today. More than happy to take him at 3 if he slides. Some suggesting the gap between him and Lafrenniere is relatively small, while Byfield has a higher ceiling but is more of a work in progress that needs patience.

Just quoting you but this is a general comment.

The kid does one interview and everybody is on board with taking him early. I still take Perfetti over Stützle and still have Stutzle as being the 8th BPA. He has many reservations from me that are not easy to correct and almost impossible to pull off in the NHL. I question his ability to read the play, play in a middle of the ice and make the play there. He’s basically the opposite of Byfield in this entire scenario. Byfield defaults to the middle so much it actually harms him sometimes; whereas Stutzle defaults to the outside because he can’t make plays in traffic. Stutzle is a freelancer and can’t create through his linemates. His flaws are many. Perfetti’s only flaws are skating and pace and they are known to be easy areas to improve with drilled attention. Stutzle’s pace and skating unquestionable. Those are his two strengths along with stick handling. Let’s list his flaws shall we? He constantly overhandles the puck and tries to play the game like it is a skill competition. The German league isn’t known for its defence or its structure. His interior attacks did get better as his season wore on, but only once inside the zone. His transitional attack however is still very one dimensional from the outside. His off-puck offence and shooting is abysmal. He doesn’t find open areas of ice for his teammates to find him. He’s always over skating the puck because his desire to play short support. He’s inefficient. He constantly throws pucks away. He’s got handling issues. He will telegraph his pass for seconds before attempting it. Free-wheeling is not creativity and he lacks that. He defaults to just skating in circles on the outside when his one play isn’t there for him. His problem solving is atrocious. He can’t manipulate a defence at all. He simply gets by because of his skating, pace and hands in a completely inferior league and larger ice surface. Every single flaw he has, they are hard to break and his IQ won’t allow his style to change on the fly. The NHL has layers of defence, he routinely can’t get through a single layer.

Watch his games, watch his shifts. Don’t watch his highlights.

I get it. I even like dreaming that Byfield will fall to 3 to us, but Byfield is closer to 1 than he is 3. Stutzle is my 8. If we take Stutzle, it will be a mistake and we will see names be much better NHLers that we’re taken after him.

Lafreniere
Byfield
Raymond
Rossi
Drysdale
Holtz
Perfetti
Stutzle
Lundell
Askarov
Sanderson

Last edited by Lagoon on Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Lagoon wrote:
PTFlea wrote:Would anyone trade 5 for tkachuk in Calgary?

In a heartbeat. Calgary would never do it. It isn’t even close.

What about for the 3rd?

Lagoon

Veteran
Veteran

Yes. But Calgary would still never do it in my opinion.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

And I realize that all it takes is one team to take any player. I didn’t do a mock, I’m ranking them as I see the top eligibles career progression.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I’m not watching Cussing German league hockey so I would default to the legitimate scouts who the vast majority have Stutzle as a top 3 player. It would be a mistake to pass on him at #3 IMO.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Is Stutzle going to play centre or wing in the NHL?

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

tim1_2 wrote:Is Stutzle going to play centre or wing in the NHL?  

Wing, at the very least for the first couple seasons.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

Ev wrote:I’m not watching Cussing German league hockey so I would default to the legitimate scouts who the vast majority have Stutzle as a top 3 player. It would be a mistake to pass on him at #3 IMO.

So you are saying German hockey is inferior hockey that doesn’t support you watching it? Interesting.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Lagoon wrote:
Ev wrote:I’m not watching Cussing German league hockey so I would default to the legitimate scouts who the vast majority have Stutzle as a top 3 player. It would be a mistake to pass on him at #3 IMO.

So you are saying German hockey is inferior hockey that doesn’t support you watching it? Interesting.

I don't watch any European hockey. The del is the fourth best though

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

I do and Stutzle has an enormous amount of flaws and tendencies that will be very hard for him to have greater success in the NHL than 7 others in this draft class.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

I also said way before any Stutzle hype that Ottawa having their first pick in the #3 slot was my worst fear. It will now be them that has to break the ice on a tier of players that I can’t argue with if people want to say it has 9 players in it. I can break it down into a smaller group but I can also hear arguments to have that 3-11 group.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

Ev wrote:
Lagoon wrote:

I don't watch any European hockey. The del is the fourth best though

Did you watch the World Jrs?

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

I will just assume you did and therefore realize that Stutzle was the 4th best German on his team. Seider had a fantastic tournament, followed by fellow 2020 eligible Peterka, whom I have ranked 22nd and then Bokk who Carolina recently robbed the Blues via trade and then Stutzle picking up the rear. 4th best on a German team. He’s no #2 but I pray he gets taken there come October. Won’t happen, but lots of my dreams at night don’t have a shred of reality.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I saw him at the WJC. He was clearly their most talented forward, and one of the most talented of the whole tournament, in his great year no less. That said, he’s a playmaker first and not great at goal scoring, and I project him like a marner type.

Make no mistake, I want him picked 2nd. The kings and Sens both think there’s two players in contention for the 2nd and 3rd picks. It’s obvious it’s Stutzle and Byfield

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

I see you carefully worded “most talented”. Yup, he’s fast and likes to skate around. That doesn’t make him a good player and he was Germany’s 4th best player in the World Jrs.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

Ev wrote:I saw him at the WJC. He was clearly their most talented forward, and one of the most talented of the whole tournament, in his great year no less. That said, he’s a playmaker first and not great at goal scoring, and I project him like a marner type.

Make no mistake, I want him picked 2nd. The kings and Sens both think there’s two players in contention for the 2nd and 3rd picks. It’s obvious it’s Stutzle and Byfield

He’s also absolutely nothing like Marner. Marner is able to manipulate defences and break down multiple layers of protection. Stutzle can not.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

We have no business selecting him at 3 or 5.

That’s the last I will say. October is a long way away and I’ve watched all the games and video I can until European leagues start up again.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

So now he’s not a good player? But you still rank him top 8. I think the opinions of scouts are making it clear they think he will be a star in the NHL and clearly separate him from the rest of the pack after Byfield. Not saying you aren’t entitled to your opinion, but I think you’re denying reality a little bit because there’s a strong chance he goes #2.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 66 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 34 ... 65, 66, 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum