GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Guy Smiley

+3
PTFlea
Ev
Cap'n Clutch
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 9]

91Guy Smiley - Page 7 Empty Re: Guy Smiley Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:23 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

One more, Clutch:

2014 Kia Optima hybrid with 121k or the 2011 Jetta with 107k? The Jetta is a diesel so fuel efficiency is pretty close.

The Kia is in Brockville while the Jetta is here in Stittsville. The Jetta is $1K less. The Kia is a daily rental car.

I'm leaning to the Jetta.

92Guy Smiley - Page 7 Empty Re: Guy Smiley Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:23 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

If only the Jetta wasn't brown Sad

93Guy Smiley - Page 7 Empty Re: Guy Smiley Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:34 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

The dealer seeing the Kia is charging $399 "admin/doc" fee and $29.95 "car proof" fee.

Admin fee sounds a little high, no? And as for "car proof" is that common to charge the buyer?

94Guy Smiley - Page 7 Empty Re: Guy Smiley Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:40 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:The dealer seeing the Kia is charging $399 "admin/doc" fee and $29.95 "car proof" fee.

Admin fee sounds a little high, no? And as for "car proof" is that common to charge the buyer?

We never charge for car proof but 399 is exactly what we charge here for doc fees.

Those are things you can negotiate on. Tell them you want 430 off to cover those fees. Chances are good they'll accept an offer like that.

- Unknown Author

95Guy Smiley - Page 7 Empty Re: Guy Smiley Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:45 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

The car is "as is" which surprised me. No winter tires included, but they added some for $800 (including rims - my guess is used).

I'm leaning to the Jetta. German engineering.

96Guy Smiley - Page 7 Empty Re: Guy Smiley Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:05 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Correction. It's not sold As Is, that is just their standard blank contact and that section would be filled in *if* it was being sold as is.

About the $399 he said that's about the only money they make on it. The car is a daily rental so the rental side sets the price and they don't control it. Uh-huh, sure.

97Guy Smiley - Page 7 Empty Re: Guy Smiley Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:56 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:Correction. It's not sold As Is, that is just their standard blank contact and that section would be filled in *if* it was being sold as is.

About the $399 he said that's about the only money they make on it. The car is a daily rental so the rental side sets the price and they don't control it. Uh-huh, sure.

Can't speak to that location but, here we set prices based on what we pay to bring it in through trade ins (including reconditioning, advertising, overhead and commission) or wholesale dealer auctions. We also want to make a little bit of money. Sounds like he's feeding you a line but, they probably don't have much markup at all on that car.

- Unknown Author

98Guy Smiley - Page 7 Empty Re: Guy Smiley Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:23 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Went to see the Jetta. I only sat in it age started it up, didn't go for a test drive. Looks great except for that the color. I'm not a fan and my wife even less so. But she is a fan of leather seats (for an 8 year old car the leather looked fantastic).

Unfortunately the only other Jetta I found with leather was $2K more with higher mileage (no it was a 2013, vs 2011).

My sticker expires on my birthday so time is running short.

99Guy Smiley - Page 7 Empty Re: Guy Smiley Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:59 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Went to see the Jetta. I only sat in it age started it up, didn't go for a test drive. Looks great except for that the color. I'm not a fan and my wife even less so. But she is a fan of leather seats (for an 8 year old car the leather looked fantastic).

Unfortunately the only other Jetta I found with leather was $2K more with higher mileage (no it was a 2013, vs 2011).

Uhhh...you gotta drive it.

100Guy Smiley - Page 7 Empty Re: Guy Smiley Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:51 am

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:
wprager wrote:Went to see the Jetta. I only sat in it age started it up, didn't go for a test drive. Looks great except for that the color. I'm not a fan and my wife even less so. But she is a fan of leather seats (for an 8 year old car the leather looked fantastic).

I'm looking at trading in my CRV for something else. Anyone drive the Subaru Crosstrek or have recommendations for another SUV that's good on gas? My commute to work is long but I don't want to make the hybrid jump just yet.

101Guy Smiley - Page 7 Empty Re: Guy Smiley Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:14 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Get a Demo. You will get a much better deal and there's lots of markup on those units. Look for a Demo with really low KMs. They can give you more for your trade. In other words, where another dealer might quote you say 10,000 (No idea what your CRV is actually worth), on a demo they could give you 13,000

- Unknown Author

102Guy Smiley - Page 7 Empty Re: Guy Smiley Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:18 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

tim1_2 wrote:

You can still get your sticker and transfer the plate to the used vehicle. The sticker shouldn't have any effect on when you buy another car unless of course you need an emissions test or something?

- Unknown Author

103Guy Smiley - Page 7 Empty Re: Guy Smiley Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:20 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

But I think e-tests are free now.

104Guy Smiley - Page 7 Empty Re: Guy Smiley Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:11 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

tim1_2 wrote:But I think e-tests are free now.

Maybe he knows it'll fail and doesn't want to put money into it when he's replacing it anyway?

- Unknown Author

105Guy Smiley - Page 7 Empty Re: Guy Smiley Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:02 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

The old plate is all peeled off and I want a new one anyway. Would prefer not to have to do any extra paperwork to transfer or get tested or whatever they do when you get rid of your car before the sticker expires.

I very much plan on driving it off I was seriously thinking of buying it. The look on my wife's face told me it wasn't worth trying to change her mind.

I've got another Optima hybrid on Ottawa. It's $900 more than the one in Brockville but he said he would throw in winter tires and rims at that price.

And this one has leather, don't think the pioneer in Brockville did.

Clutch, between a 2013 Optima Hybrid and 2011 Jetta TDI, which is more reliable? I've seen diesels with over 300k, but then I've also seen hybrids with that much. Hybrid is a little better on gas than the TDI, and you don't need to worry about a gas station not having diesel. Plus isn't gas actually cheaper than diesel now?

106Guy Smiley - Page 7 Empty Re: Guy Smiley Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:07 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I just read today that Nissan will be bringing out a compact SUV EV in late 2020. It should have Tesla long range (300 mi) but probably not Tesla's price.

DWC, what's your hesitation about getting a hybrid? Is it the transmission when it switched between modes? A diesel can have very similar fuel economy without the weird shifting (to be fair, I know very little about this and none of it first hand; some deal with it better than others).

107Guy Smiley - Page 7 Empty Re: Guy Smiley Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:18 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:The old plate is all peeled off and I want a new one anyway.  Would prefer not to have to do any extra paperwork to transfer or get tested or whatever they do when you get rid of your car before the sticker expires.

I very much plan on driving it off I was seriously thinking of buying it. The look on my wife's face told me it wasn't worth trying to change her mind.

I've got another Optima hybrid on Ottawa. It's $900 more than the one in Brockville but he said he would throw in winter tires and rims at that price.

And this one has leather, don't think the pioneer in Brockville did.

Clutch, between a 2013 Optima Hybrid and 2011 Jetta TDI, which is more reliable? I've seen diesels with over 300k, but then I've also seen hybrids with that much.  Hybrid is a little better on gas than the TDI, and you don't need to worry about a gas station not having diesel. Plus isn't gas actually cheaper than diesel now?

Hard to really answer that question. All depends how well each vehicle was maintained and the type of miles they put on and how they drove it. It's less about the vehicle and more about the maintenance. As for diesels they generally last a lot longer than gasoline vehicles. The difference in fuel prices isn't as great when you see how many more kms you get from a diesel.

- Unknown Author

108Guy Smiley - Page 7 Empty Re: Guy Smiley Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:07 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

If that Jetta wasn't brown if be driving it right now.

The Optima is a nice looking car. I can't lie. And there are more options on the newer one, such as panoramic sunroof, heated *and* cooled seats, backup camera, navigation system.

But I still keep thinking this is just a re-badged Hyundai. I'm concerned about the reliability.

Hybrids should last longer because the gas engine is used less, especially in start-stop traffic or getting it from 0 to 40. But Kia simply dies not have the track record of a Prius.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum