GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GM Hockey » Ottawa Senators » Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 52 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 37 of 67]

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
ok. so I attended both games. here's what I gathered from watching it.
(I tried focusing on a few players as opposed to the whole lot)

game 1
I kept thinking that this game is not a good test for these players and not a good estimate on how they can fair. the habs players were terrible and the game was played in majority in the habs defensive zone.

white: showed a really good compete level, playing an aggressive game and the scoreboard shouldn't be an indication of who was playing best.

Chlapik: you could clearly see the skills he has and that he's driving to have a spot on the sens this year. great compete level in the game. good playmaking abilities.

Wolanin: the one thing that was obvious to me with him is his mobility. great movements on the ice, second best on the ice for dman in mobility.

Tkachuk: felt like he had a target on his back in the first period. seemed like the other players were overtly trying to push him around. he definitely uses his size to get himself to the front of the net and will use it to score goals. did not see much flashiness from him but he does have a wicked release. exhibited some good playmaking skills to. better than what I expected. seems like a guy you want on the PP right in front of the net.

Formenton: his agility, mobility and speed are such a treat to watch. his coverage is great. you could see how he could be a legitimate force on both the PP and the PK. there's no doubt he's got top 6 forward written all over him.

Batherson:good first game, you can tell he"s got skills but it seemed like a player that is there to be fed a lot of the time. second game was best but we'll get to that.

Lajoie: surprising ability to control the play on the ice on the back end. his speed as a Dman was amazing. I mean, he"s very fast, skating backwards and forward. great mobility and is quick to jump on the rush. he does seem undersized but if he can grow into his frame or get used to playing bigger men he could be very useful and lethal.

Brown: to be honest I didn't think Brown was that noticeable his first game. seemed to lack compete and seemed a bit slow in comparison to the first game. saw him create a few good plays but seemed like a passenger in others.
Luchuk: good energy, seems to play a little small but had way more speed to his game than I imagined.

Gustavsson: good lateral movements, steady composure and I felt he allowed for very little in terms of rebound. very promising.

Jaros: he has one hell of a hard slapshot. was using his body like you thought he would.

for the rest you could tell the unsigned and lesser known players were trying to make an impression. that was quite a hit by mcleod on that Evans kid from the habs. was sent to the hospital. he had a good 2 games. you can also see what the sens see in that Parker Kelly kid. good energy player, lots of compete.

other things of interests:white was captain and Chlapik assistant. starts: Tkachuk 1st, Chlapik 2nd, Formenton 3rd.

2nd game.

I was a bit disappointed showing up to the game and seeing white, Chlapik, Tkachuk, Jaros, and Wolanin all be scratched. especially that I expected the leafs to be a harder team to play against.

but this was a much more fun game to watch than the first one.

Formenton: truly a pleasure to watch. delivered an even better performance than the 1st game. he was paired with stone and Batherson for the game. he got better as the game progressed even after receiving an elbow to the head that sent him flying to the ground while having to go to the dressing room. his coverage do to his speed is remarkable. he could easily cover two different players. it will be interesting how well that can transfer to the NHL. seems to me from these two games that he stands a good chance to get some games and start the season in Ottawa.

Batherson: very good positionally again and seems to set himself up in areas where he can become dangerous. him and Formenton seem like an excellent fit to play together. more so than with Brown. their speed match extremely well and they seem to know how to feed each other. the last two goals of the game (with less than 20 sec to the end and in overtime) saw them bring the game to another level. its just a prospect game but they showed the will to win and create opportunities when the game was down.

Brown:had a better game than in game one but also probably had more minutes. the lesser part of his line you have to wonder why he didn't give a little bit more in the game. seemed outworked by players around him. still, did show some skills and some good passes.

Luchuk: was given a bigger role this game and had a much better performance. he's got good speed, agility and compete. will be interesting how he fairs in the pros.

Lajoie: good positioning and delivers some very nice crisp passes coming out of his own zone. speed is key in his game. very interesting prospect to keep an eye on. had to leave early but he did get a star in the game.

all and all the biggest takeaway from this game is how well Batherson and Formenton play with each other. these two could easily IMO make the sens this year.
I find it hard to believe that Brown has practiced with the sens this summer unless he"s nursing some minor injury or something. not his best two games but did show some promise. if anything he does seem to have good composure. some of the lesser known players were just trying to impress too much and left some better opportunities go by trying to score goals when passing would have been a better situation. but I guess thats to be expected.

good games. we won! makes me crave for more and to see what these guys can do in the NHL!
I"m definitely on team Formenton/Batherson after these.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
I felt that in both games the Sens rooks were, by far, the fastest team (other than Brown). Even with Tkachuk, White and Chlapik not playing, if not for the one-sided refereeing (six in a row?) I don't think it would have been that close. Oh, and scoring a couple goals on the major would have helped, too.

Lajoie it's a great passer; who knew!

Formenton and Pageau will give us one of the best PKs in the business.

Tkachuk can start looking for a house now.

Brown should start packing. I'm not giving up on him by any stretch; big players often take much longer to mature physically. But he's just not ready. He can't keep up at this level, he'd be completely lost in the NHL. He's also got to stop coasting. It's one thing not being the best skater; it's another not even trying.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
Maybe I'm being too harsh on Brown?

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
wprager wrote:Maybe I'm being too harsh on Brown?

Nope. That’s how I felt too. I didn’t want to say coasting because I was hoping it was something I was missing but that’s what it looked like.

How were the games on TV?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Games on tv were the typical local cable with an HD camera.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
So, step one was to win the rookie tournament. What's step two?

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
wprager wrote:I felt that in both games the Sens rooks were, by far, the fastest team (other than Brown). Even with Tkachuk, White and Chlapik not playing, if not for the one-sided refereeing (six in a row?) I don't think it would have been that close. Oh, and scoring a couple goals on the major would have helped, too.

Lajoie it's a great passer; who knew!

Formenton and Pageau will give us one of the best PKs in the business.

Tkachuk can start looking for a house now.

Brown should start packing. I'm not giving up on him by any stretch; big players often take much longer to mature physically. But he's just not ready. He can't keep up at this level, he'd be completely lost in the NHL. He's also got to stop coasting. It's one thing not being the best skater; it's another not even trying.

Yeah you’re being way too harsh on brown. These games men’s literally nothing

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
I mean if he plays the same way in camp then he’ll start in Belleville for sure . Which looks likely anyway given the spots .

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Ev wrote:I mean if he plays the same way in camp then he’ll start in Belleville for sure . Which looks likely anyway given the spots .

Let’s just say chlapik looks way ahead of him for a C spot.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:I mean if he plays the same way in camp then he’ll start in Belleville for sure . Which looks likely anyway given the spots .

Let’s just say chlapik looks way ahead of him for a C spot.

He should. Brown will eventually pass him.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
I always hope players like Brown are ready right away but they simply almost never are. I wonder of the rash of injuries the last couple of years are related to his growth. 6'6" will usually take some time but it's worth the wait.

As for Chlapik, I keep saying how a player that leads his team in all offensive categories *and* PIMs is gold. He may not have Brown's upside but he will bring so many other things.

Chlapik and Tkachuk both play with that edge. Imagine Fisher and Smith but with more skill and more of an edge.

And then White is that type of player as well. We could have three lines nobody wants to play against, and that's before you see the 4th line.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
wprager wrote:I always hope players like Brown are ready right away but they simply almost never are. I wonder of the rash of injuries the last couple of years are related to his growth. 6'6" will usually take some time but it's worth the wait.

As for Chlapik, I keep saying how a player that leads his team in all offensive categories *and* PIMs is gold.  He may not have Brown's upside but he will bring so many other things.

Chlapik and Tkachuk both play with that edge. Imagine Fisher and Smith but  with more skill and more of an edge.

And then White is that type of player as well. We could have three lines nobody wants to play against, and that's before you see the 4th line.

I was very impressed by white’s compete level for one game in this meaningless tournament. It’s obvious he wants to make an impression and make the team. If he plays like that all the time he will. I just don’t know if he will materialize into more than a 3rd liner who can play on the 2nd line at times. Pretty much a smith. I don’t know personally. I have to see how he puts his offence together.

Chlapik’s skill on the other hand is quite apparent. Nice playmaking abilities and can score. I think he might turn into a 2nd line C if he continues on this path.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Are we gonna see Formenton or Batherson in Ottawa to start? They've always been talked about very highly internally apparently

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
It was a very enjoyable couple of games by the kids. I agree, I wasn't really impressed with Brown, but we'll see how things go once the season starts. Maybe he's got a nagging injury or something.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
The more I think about the Pacioretty trade the more I feel that theres added pressure on Dorion to really win the kalrsson trade. If you can win that. Or at least maximize that trade. What annoys me is that likely means that Vegas is likely out of the runnings on a karlsson deal. With Suzuki gone do we really see them trading away Cody glass? Would they actually trade both Theodore AND Brannstrom? I personally feel like we need to upgrade more on the back end hand than in our forward prospect but you can’t deny the allure of A number 1C prospect in a return. But I don’t see a universe where the McPhee sends both glass and Brann in a package. Let alone the fact that they are likely done trading with prime assets.

After Vegas the only team I really see that could make a nice push for Kalrsson is Tampa but I think they’re content to just sit out a year and try and swipe him for free.

Did Dorion lose another one by letting Vegas make another move? Time will tell.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Am I the only one who thinks the return for Pacioretty is a little underwhelming? This guy scored 30+ (or on pace) 6 of the last 7 seasons. The whole team sucked last year so his lack of production is most likely a blip. He could end up with 40.

Who will play center? Drouin is a winger they tried at center. Kotkaniemi is small and young. Suzuki is another winger. Danault? Seriously, they better hoe Price gets injured so they can tank with ease.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
wprager wrote:Am I the only one who thinks the return for Pacioretty is a little underwhelming? This guy scored 30+ (or on pace) 6 of the last 7 seasons.  The whole team sucked last year so his lack of production is most likely a blip. He could end up with 40.

Who will play center? Drouin is a winger they tried at center. Kotkaniemi is small and young. Suzuki is another winger. Danault?  Seriously, they better hoe Price gets injured so they can tank with ease.

They’re doing fine. Suzuki will play C and they have their 1st rounder next summer. It will be sickening for Sens fans when the Habs draft Hugues

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Win/win. Pacioretty must be so thrilled to be out of there and the Habs got a top prospect. Can't argue with that really.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 37 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 52 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum