GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+11
Hoags
dennycrane
Lagoon
Cap'n Clutch
DefenceWinsChampionships
Flo The Action
wprager
tim1_2
Oglethorpe
Ev
PTFlea
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 51 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 36 of 67]

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Lagoon wrote:I think it was on the radio today that I heard Stone may be done for the year.

I haven't been paying much attention, but did we ever find out what his injury is?

Lagoon

Veteran
Veteran

Me neither. I don’t know. Sadly, the Sens have taken a backseat to the entire NHL this year for me. It is usually the other way around.

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Lagoon wrote:Me neither. I don’t know. Sadly, the Sens have taken a backseat to the entire NHL this year for me. It is usually the other way around.
Im already ready for the draft.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

Same here. I think I started the draft thread here.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

And I know I’m repeating myself but everything that’s happened with ownership and the style of management that it’s created has really turned me off from paying attention

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

Hence MelnykOut and its support from hardcore fans and the complacency of regular fans.

It’s been a train-wreck for too long and it finally gathered the right amount of steam.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Stone hurt his ankle a while back. He finished the game and I think he even played the game start that, but then say out a few. I think at this point they are keeping him out because of the risk of injury (and risk of winning).

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

I’d love to see Gustavsson in one NHL game this year. Give someone that hungry to be the best a taste of the speed of an NHL game, the weight of NHL shots and the reads of NHL players. He’d have experience and images in his head all summer during his off-season training. It would focus his passion in my opinion.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

In my opinion, you have no choice but to trade Hoffman now. This guy is a flat out quitter, and the wing position is not very important relative to other needs. If you can get Robert Thomas or Sam Bennett for him, you gotta do it.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I, too, would like to see Gustavsson in a couple games up here before season's end. Maybe give Hogberg a game or two as well. Can't be any worse. I believe Gustavsson's contract will slide unless he plays 10 games at the NHL level.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

Ev wrote:In my opinion, you have no choice but to trade Hoffman now. This guy is a flat out quitter, and the wing position is not very important relative to other needs. If you can get Robert Thomas or Sam Bennett for him, you gotta do it.

Those are two good players you named but our center depth is our strength so adding one of those two just adds to our future congestion if it remained status quo. I’d rather get another winger (Bennett does play LW too) if Hoffman were to be traded. If you just want to use rumoured teams for Hoffman like Calgary and St. Louis, I’d be after Rasmus Andersson and Jordan Kyrou.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Lagoon wrote:
Ev wrote:In my opinion, you have no choice but to trade Hoffman now. This guy is a flat out quitter, and the wing position is not very important relative to other needs. If you can get Robert Thomas or Sam Bennett for him, you gotta do it.

Those are two good players you named but our center depth is our strength so adding one of those two just adds to our future congestion if it remained status quo. I’d rather get another winger (Bennett does play LW too) if Hoffman were to be traded. If you just want to use rumoured teams for Hoffman like Calgary and St. Louis, I’d be after Rasmus Andersson and Jordan Kyrou.

I'm not sure our centre depth is our strength since we traded Brassard. Currently Pageau is our 2LC, and that's not ideal.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

tim1_2 wrote:I, too, would like to see Gustavsson in a couple games up here before season's end.  Maybe give Hogberg a game or two as well.  Can't be any worse.  I believe Gustavsson's contract will slide unless he plays 10 games at the NHL level.

Hogberg can stay down for all I care. Plus, we can only call up so many under normal circumstances. Gustavsson is my first priority. It probably won’t happen. I just wish it would.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

tim1_2 wrote:
Lagoon wrote:

I'm not sure our centre depth is our strength since we traded Brassard.  Currently Pageau is our 2LC, and that's not ideal.

I meant prospect-wise. That’s where our most talent is in my opinion. Some of them will probably get better opportunities soon.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Last night was the first time I watched a full Sens game in a while. Some observations:

- I just don't see Boucher back next season. The team has evidently stopped playing for him and I am not sure he can get these guys back on board next season. The PP and PK are amongst the league worse and he was brought in specifically to fix special teams.
- Zack Smith is awful. I am not sure what happened to him but he looks lost and uninspired out there. I am not sure if he's fallen out of favour with the coaching staff, is feeling the effects of his injury, or something else, but he was slow, was not hitting, not shooting.
- Ben Harpur cannot play a bounce and uses his size poorly. I am scared he turns into Cowen 2.0
- What Dorion and Boucher see in Ceci still mystifies me. The second he is pressured he turns over the puck, he can't make a first pass cleanly, and there isn't much offensive upside. He does log hard minutes and I respect that, but he's consistently out of position and losing puck battles. Not a good top-four IMO.
- Anderson let in some bad goals but also made some very difficult saves. The Sens goaltending in general has been brutal but defensive zone breakdowns are equally to blame.
- Harpur, Claesson, and Boro are all #6 guys. The fact that they are all in the lineup terrifies me. I hope Ottawa moves away from at least two of them next season.

Off-Season Moves:

Hoffman

Depending on where Edmonton finishes I'd consider trading Hoffman for their 1st rd pick straight up. Ottawa has far too many holes in their roster right now for a one year fix. Retaining Hoffman and paying him more in 2 years for a one-dimensional, poor attitude player doesn't make sense. Get what you can and rebuild. Right now Edm projects to draft somewhere between 7-10. If Ottawa can get Zadina, Bouchard, or Svech with their pick and Wahlstrom, Hughes or Boqvist with Edmonton's it's a very successful draft for them.  Edmonton will feel pressured to making it back in the playoffs next year and need a top-six to play with McDavid. I'd also use Pitt's pick to move up if means getting Zadina/Svech and Bouchard

Ceci

I'd move Ceci for another comparable RFA. I think Ceci can be successful outside of Ottawa and think Ottawa can be successful without Ceci. I see the Ceci situation as a Seth Jones type of situation. Player for player, one for one, RFA for RFA. I personally like Darnell Nurse.

Smith and Claesson

Move them for picks. Do not take salary back.

Ryan

Keep him. Only 4 years left on his deal and with all the ELC's that Ottawa will have in their lineup having him there won't make a difference. Don't circumvent a bad Karlsson trade with getting rid of his contract. It simply doesn't make sense.

Gaborik and Burrows

Hope for buyout and retirement. Buyout for Burrows, retirement for Gaborik.

I think Ottawa should commit to the rebuild. They have some really good players coming down the pipe and some real opportunities for their younger players to get the right experience. They need a coach who isn't stuck to a system and can coach exciting hockey while teaching his players.

Impact

For those thinking moving Smith or Hoffman will have an impact on Karlsson, Duchene and Stone re-signing it won't. Sign these guys long-term, spend that money elsewhere, and reinforce the fact that there are some higher-end skill guys on their way within 2-3 years: Brown, White, Chlapik, Formenton, Batherson, Jaros, Englund, Wolanin.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Edmonton would never trade their 1st for Hoffman.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

Facepalm Every post he just needs to not only disagree but tell you what will actually happen like he knows.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Lagoon wrote:Facepalm Every post he just needs to not only disagree but tell you what will actually happen like he knows.

Ya I am curious why they wouldn't trade a 1st rd top-10 pick for a player capable of scoring 30+ goals and a natural fit with McDavid. You don't think Edmonton is feeling the pressure to make the playoffs after they did last season or feeling a need to add a top-six forward after the bonehead Eberle and Hall trades? They have organizational depth (Rattie, Yamamoto, and Puljujarvii) and a pressing need to make the playoffs now vs adding another prospect to their already deep pool.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 36 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 51 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum