GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

R2GDT#4: Sens @ Rangers, May 4, 7:300pm

+6
Flo The Action
PTFlea
Ev
spader
tim1_2
wprager
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

31R2GDT#4: Sens @ Rangers, May 4, 7:300pm - Page 3 Empty Re: R2GDT#4: Sens @ Rangers, May 4, 7:300pm Thu May 04, 2017 10:06 pm

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I don't agree with that. If they win the series they're better than the rangers. It's an even field and a new series now. We have home ice

32R2GDT#4: Sens @ Rangers, May 4, 7:300pm - Page 3 Empty Re: R2GDT#4: Sens @ Rangers, May 4, 7:300pm Thu May 04, 2017 10:15 pm

Oglethorpe

Veteran
Veteran

Series is far from over but more speed is neede.  I'd add White and Wingles and sit Stone and Burrows.

33R2GDT#4: Sens @ Rangers, May 4, 7:300pm - Page 3 Empty Re: R2GDT#4: Sens @ Rangers, May 4, 7:300pm Thu May 04, 2017 10:24 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Ev wrote:I don't agree with that. If they win the series they're better than the rangers. It's an even field and a new series now. We have home ice

You know I hope you're right, but I don't see it right now. Unless Boucher can adjust, I don't see us out skilling, out hitting or outscoring that team.

I hope so, but they've really let the Rangers walk all over them and gain the most confidence possible.

34R2GDT#4: Sens @ Rangers, May 4, 7:300pm - Page 3 Empty Re: R2GDT#4: Sens @ Rangers, May 4, 7:300pm Thu May 04, 2017 10:42 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PTFlea wrote:
Ev wrote:I don't agree with that. If they win the series they're better than the rangers. It's an even field and a new series now. We have home ice

You know I hope you're right, but I don't see it right now.  Unless Boucher can adjust, I don't see us out skilling, out hitting or outscoring that team.

I hope so, but they've really let the Rangers walk all over them and gain the most confidence possible.

Momentum doesn't exist. We have proven we can do all those things already by winning two games.

35R2GDT#4: Sens @ Rangers, May 4, 7:300pm - Page 3 Empty Re: R2GDT#4: Sens @ Rangers, May 4, 7:300pm Thu May 04, 2017 10:43 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Oglethorpe wrote:Series is far from over but more speed is neede.  I'd add White and Wingles and sit Stone and Burrows.

Burrows wouldn't sit. White isn't even a consideration for the coaching staff right now

36R2GDT#4: Sens @ Rangers, May 4, 7:300pm - Page 3 Empty Re: R2GDT#4: Sens @ Rangers, May 4, 7:300pm Thu May 04, 2017 11:20 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Wow I am sick of seeing some people jump off the wagon. If you know anything about this group, you know we won't lose a lot in a row.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Yeah, I don't think white is the answer either. I don't think we should sit stone either but we do need to get healthy. This team as it stands isn't healthy and isn't doing it. We're being outworked out there. We'll lose this series if that doesn't change. I'm not saying it's done but they are going to have to find another gear because they lost their gear in the last two.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

There's nothing any one player is going to do, whether it's White or Neil, that is going to make a big difference at this point. We know we're capable of scoring, and as Ev said, we rarely stink it up three games in a row.

It was a a little flukey and uncharacteristic how we gave up all those odd-man rushes last night (a couple 2 on 1s, a breakaway, and a 2 on 0 in the first half of the game!!).

Scoring the first goal would be a good start. We've been good in afternoon games and on home ice for the most part, so that bodes well for Saturday.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:There's nothing any one player is going to do, whether it's White or Neil, that is going to make a big difference at this point.  We know we're capable of scoring, and as Ev said, we rarely stink it up three games in a row.  

It was a a little flukey and uncharacteristic how we gave up all those odd-man rushes last night (a couple 2 on 1s, a breakaway, and a 2 on 0 in the first half of the game!!).  

Scoring the first goal would be a good start.  We've been good in afternoon games and on home ice for the most part, so that bodes well for Saturday.  

I do think having someone like Neil will help. If anything, just to instill some fear in the Rangers. We have no one who can match their intensity and they are running us over right now. We need Smith to stop pretending he's a 40 goal scorer and hit something. Burrows as well. I can't believe I am going to say this but I am missing Boro a lot right now.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

If Neil goes in (I doubt he will), I'm fine with that, but the real issue here is lack of offensive production.

The guy that could probably help the most is Colin White, but he's not being considered. The current group of guys is going to have to figure this out.

41R2GDT#4: Sens @ Rangers, May 4, 7:300pm - Page 3 Empty Re: R2GDT#4: Sens @ Rangers, May 4, 7:300pm Fri May 05, 2017 10:09 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

White not only provides more offense *potential*
(compared to Wingels, Burrows, Dzingel, Pyatt, Stalberg) but also bigger body, more aggressive style of play, more hustle and speed than most on the above list.

Rangers fans were complaining whenever Tanner Glass' name came up. But he won one of the games against the Habs, had an assist when AV put him in on Tuesday, then two more last night. All while dishing out a bunch of hits.

So can Neil help? Maybe, but White is a younger, bigger, faster version with better production and can also take a face-off. The one thing he doesn't have is a heavy fist and experience. We can provide him with one of those. At worst it will pay off next year.

42R2GDT#4: Sens @ Rangers, May 4, 7:300pm - Page 3 Empty Re: R2GDT#4: Sens @ Rangers, May 4, 7:300pm Fri May 05, 2017 10:24 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Ev wrote:Wow I am sick of seeing some people jump off the wagon. If you know anything about this group, you know we won't lose a lot in a row.

Exactly. There's no need to panic. We panic if we get down 3 games to 2 because then I won't be right about Sens in 6 Razz

- Unknown Author

43R2GDT#4: Sens @ Rangers, May 4, 7:300pm - Page 3 Empty Re: R2GDT#4: Sens @ Rangers, May 4, 7:300pm Fri May 05, 2017 10:25 am

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I can't comment on White having not had a big enough sample size to compare him to other players, but you're right. Zac Smith has been a train-wreck, Burrows has done nothing, Wingels at least hit people but doesn't bring much to the table.

Fact is, the Sens will be a much different team at home. They won't play like this in front of their home crowd. However, even if we lose to the Rags, the Sens IMO over-achieved this year. If anything, this shows what kind of team we have and where we need to improve in the off-season.

Team needs:

1) Team toughness (keep Boro as a 5-6 d-man and add a banger on the 4th line)
2) Defencemen (need a puck-mover not named Karlsson)
3) Legit top-three scorer (we need a game changer, not 2-3 'solid' lines)

Areas 1 and 2 can be addressed internally. Area 3 - not sure how to accomplish that.

44R2GDT#4: Sens @ Rangers, May 4, 7:300pm - Page 3 Empty Re: R2GDT#4: Sens @ Rangers, May 4, 7:300pm Fri May 05, 2017 10:27 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

In fairness Bobby Ryan was that game breaker in the first series.

- Unknown Author

45R2GDT#4: Sens @ Rangers, May 4, 7:300pm - Page 3 Empty Re: R2GDT#4: Sens @ Rangers, May 4, 7:300pm Fri May 05, 2017 10:56 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Boucher had to adapt too, they can't let NY have free reign like the last 2 games

46R2GDT#4: Sens @ Rangers, May 4, 7:300pm - Page 3 Empty Re: R2GDT#4: Sens @ Rangers, May 4, 7:300pm Fri May 05, 2017 11:17 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PTFlea wrote:Boucher had to adapt too, they can't let NY have free reign like the last 2 games

True. Alain Vigneault obviously lit a fire under his team, because they looked totally different in games 3 and 4 than they did in 1 and 2. I have no doubt Boucher will say the right things and make whatever adjustments...and then it's up to the players to actually execute.

47R2GDT#4: Sens @ Rangers, May 4, 7:300pm - Page 3 Empty Re: R2GDT#4: Sens @ Rangers, May 4, 7:300pm Fri May 05, 2017 11:33 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I think Turris, Stone, Ryan, Hoffman can easily fit in the category of "legit, top-three scorer". If you are looking for a first-overall type, generational or at least elite player then, no. What we need to instill in these players is the Pageau like attitude. Hoffman has been very disappointing. I've been a big supporter of his in the past but he is not doing anywhere near enough. Last night there was a play where he circles back and plays the puck off his skate to his stick -- a real fancy move that will get oohs and aahs from the 10-year olds at the outdoor rinkl. When you are the last guy between the puck and your goalie you simply can't do that, certainly not when games are as important as in the playoffs. That's an attitude change. You are not there to put on a show; you are there to do everything you can do for the team to win. But Hoffman is not the only one like that. Too many quite content to carry the puck in, curl to the side boards and look for a pretty pass, and not enough willing to drop the shoulder down, stick out their leg to protect the puck, and cut inside toward the net. Yes, you will get slashed, yes you might get hit by the other defenseman or a back-checking forward. But if you are not willing to take the punishment then step aside for someone who is.

I disagreed with taking Claesson out instead of Harpur yesterday and after watching the game, I stand by my initial reaction. Harpur did well early on but he has not been good the last two games. He needs a reminder that he's there because he can match the Rangers' forward size. He needs to initiate hits, clear out the crease, be strong on the puck carrier (not like G3 when he let Zibanejad skate around and pass out front to Zucarello) and he needs to stick up for his team mates (like when Turris got manhandled last night). He is only in the lineup because of what he was doing in Bingo, and the last two games he has not done that. And not that Claesson is a big tough SOB, either, but I just felt that Harpur started playing soft, going back to his comfort zone.

Need a fresh outlook, at this time. If Neil comes in, so be it. I still think White would be a better option, now that they have home ice and can manage his match-ups. But even with Neil, you don't want him our there with Grabner/Zucarello, maybe, but you absolutely want him out against Nash, Zibanejad as well as Hayes/Glass types.

I've also been saying for a while (since game 2) how we are missing Boro a lot more than many here care to admit. The Rangers started skating down that right side completely unopposed and unafraid. You'd think stepping up at the far blue line or at center ice is a simple play, but in the last three games I saw Phaneuf do it *once* and nobody else. Our right-side D has gone really soft (and, no, slapping Zucarello on the side of the head like Methot did to draw the roughing penalty is not it).

48R2GDT#4: Sens @ Rangers, May 4, 7:300pm - Page 3 Empty Re: R2GDT#4: Sens @ Rangers, May 4, 7:300pm Fri May 05, 2017 11:34 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:
PTFlea wrote:Boucher had to adapt too, they can't let NY have free reign like the last 2 games

True.  Alain Vigneault obviously lit a fire under his team, because they looked totally different in games 3 and 4 than they did in 1 and 2.  I have no doubt Boucher will say the right things and make whatever adjustments...and then it's up to the players to actually execute.

You can add game 2 as well. Hank was awful.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum