GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

R2GDT#2: Rangers @ Sens, April 29, 3:00pm

+5
spader
PTFlea
Ev
Oglethorpe
wprager
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I heard it was sold out yesterday? Was the other game an anomaly?

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Flo The Action wrote:I heard it was sold out yesterday? Was the other game an anomaly?

Attendance has been a problem all season long. 7:30 on a school night meant all those parents who wanted to take their kid bought G2 tickets.

Last time we didn't sell out a playoff game was probably against the Devils over 10 years ago, I think.

Half of Ottawa's population are Habs or Leafs fans, and with both those teams out they don't care much for hockey overall. Price is another factor with the Phoenix pay system affecting a lot of public sector workers. Increasing parking fees by $10 is obscene. The product on ice is worth more, for sure, but parking?

Oglethorpe

Veteran
Veteran

3 things affecting attendance IMO.  

1. The Sens have been a middling team for a decade so the buzz around the team is low.  

2. Disposable income is down for GoC employees due to wage stagnation and CoL increases in Ontario, Phoenix doesn't help but just raises the level of concern.  

3. Arena location.  Since the Lebreton site became reality people are much less likely to make the trek from distance.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Let's stop the attendance talk. There's a bunch of factors affecting it which have been discussed as nauseum. Attendance will be an on going issue until the team moves downtown.

This was one of the craziest Sens wins in franchise history. Let's enjoy it.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Someone also mentioned that Kanata residents who have been avid supporters were a little upset about the upcoming move.

Not sure, but a while back I said that they *will* have to replace some of the Kanata STH (and those further out) with new ones, but the move is 3-4 years out, so don't expect reinforcements yet.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Also, back before the internet bubble burst there were a lot of corporate suites. Even though high-tech has recovered, they are not as eager to spend frivolously.

And taxes and COL are outpacing salary increases. Case in point, I got a raise when I was promoted in 2000, then no raises until I got laid off 6 years later. Took a 40% cut working for the feds for 8 months, then got back into a high tech position that was still below my 2000 salary. It wasn't until around 2013 that I finally got to my 2000 salary. In the same time frame gas, electricity, residential taxes, groceries, etc. went up significantly, in some cases nearly doubling in those 13-14 years.

And I'm sure I'm not an outlier. Others bought houses, cars, lifestyles based on 2000 salaries and expectations and then saw their salaries, essentially, rolled back relative to expenses. After more than a decade of this, and now with University tuition and residence costs looming, easy to see why hockey tickets -- second round or whatever -- really aren't on the menu.

Also, don't underestimate the effect of HD and massive flat screens.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

The problem is idiots spending money on things like overpriced housing and getting in car and credit card debt, the left with nothing to actually live and have fun

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Someone also mentioned that Kanata residents who have been avid supporters were a little upset about the upcoming move.

Not sure, but a while back I said that they *will* have to replace some of the Kanata STH (and those further out) with new ones, but the move is 3-4 years out, so don't expect reinforcements yet.
They have something like 6-8 years to sell their house and move closer. Seems doable to me.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Amazing game yesterday.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Most ridiculous game I've ever attended.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum