GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Cord Cutting

+4
Ev
SeawaySensFan
tim1_2
wprager
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

1Cord Cutting Empty Cord Cutting Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:39 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Starting to seriously think about cutting the cord.  I'll put some info here and hopefully generate some discussion.

I no longer really care all that much about discussing shows in real-time. Lost was fun but, honestly, so many shows are so much easier to binge. You also don't end up investing much time in duds.  So a fast internet connection, unlimited download, of course, a couple streaming services, some OTA, NHL Live or whatever it's called.  Couple glitches. First, my wife loves the HGTV type shows. Netflix US has them but not Canada. I *think* Crave has them, but need to confirm and also confirm you can get Crave without Bell.  Second, recording shows that are not streamed.  I assume NHL Gamecenter Live allowed you to watch either love or delayed? Can someone confirm?  For streaming content, Netflix is usually included in any smart TV, what about Amazon Prime? Probably not Crave. Likely would have to get some kind of box (Apple TV, Android TV, etc.)

Last edited by wprager on Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

2Cord Cutting Empty Re: Cord Cutting Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:46 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

For all your miscellaneous HGTV stuff, you really just need to get over your aversion to downloading stuff.

And I believe NHL Gamecentre lets you start games late.

3Cord Cutting Empty Re: Cord Cutting Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:55 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

OTA

Our new home is in Bridlewood, next to the forest. Not there best location, not the worst. TVfool.com let's you check out what you can expect to receive. Use an address or long/lat location, which you can copy/paste from Google maps. In my case, with just and indoor antenna I can expect the following channels​:

CBOT - CBC
CIVO - TQ
CIII - GLOBAL
CBOFT - SRC
CJOH - CTV
CICO - TVO
CHCH - ?
CHOT - TVA
CFGS - V ?
CITY

By putting the antenna in the Attic I can add some religious change (CITS), CHRO and OMNI.

I think I'm good without those, so an indoor mounted antenna will do. These are typically around $50 for a decent one with a signal boost. Will have to research this a little more. Feel free to jump in if you have info.

4Cord Cutting Empty Re: Cord Cutting Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:56 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

http://cutcord.ca/about/

Some info here.

5Cord Cutting Empty Re: Cord Cutting Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:59 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

There's also digitalhome.ca -- I'm sure they have a full OTA forum but I'm only looking at OTA as one small slice of the cord cutting pie.  Probably too much info over there to wade through.

Last edited by wprager on Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

6Cord Cutting Empty Re: Cord Cutting Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:06 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I'm not sure how easy it would be to just cut the cord, but doing that in the summertime is probably easiest. Moving in May. Do I keep Rogers (assuming they don't charge me installation)? Dumping them will cost about $200 in penalties. Switch to Bell? Special pricing will cover the $200 penalty, but then I'm stuck with them for 2 years or face the same penalties.

I'm thinking of dipping the toes slowly. Maybe get and antenna first. Then drop to basic and add Crave for HGTV stuff.

7Cord Cutting Empty Re: Cord Cutting Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:11 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Can anyone fill in the gaps here?

Home phone service. Ooma or something else? Need Canada and US only.

Internet.  Virgin has home service, $50 for unlimited, 25MB down.  I already have Virgin for four cell numbers.

Any better alternatives?

Last edited by wprager on Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

8Cord Cutting Empty Re: Cord Cutting Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:24 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

For unlimited internet, that Virgin deal is about as good as you'll find. You could check TekSavvy too.

9Cord Cutting Empty Re: Cord Cutting Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:55 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Ok, any experience with Ooma? Here are some details.

Ooma Premier, $10/month, but you get 60 days of it free.

$40 free to port your number, but waived off you sign up for Premier for a year (not sure how the free 60 days apply, maybe just pay for 10 months).

10Cord Cutting Empty Re: Cord Cutting Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:09 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:For all your miscellaneous HGTV stuff, you really just need to get over your aversion to downloading stuff.

And I believe NHL Gamecentre lets you start games late.

Depends on the device. I have to watch live or wait for the game to end on my Android box. PS4 lets you start at any point but is glitchy as hell.

11Cord Cutting Empty Re: Cord Cutting Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:12 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:OTA

Our new home is in Bridlewood, next to the forest. Not there best location, not the worst. TVfool.com let's you check out what you can expect to receive. Use an address or long/lat location, which you can copy/paste from Google maps.  In my case, with just and indoor antenna I can expect the following channels​:

CBOT - CBC
CIVO - TQ
CIII - GLOBAL
CBOFT - SRC
CJOH - CTV
CICO - TVO
CHCH - ?
CHOT - TVA
CFGS - V ?
CITY

By putting the antenna in the Attic I can add some religious change (CITS), CHRO and OMNI.

I think I'm good without those, so an indoor mounted antenna will do. These are typically around $50 for a decent one with a signal boost.  Will have to research this a little more. Feel free to jump in if you have info.

As I've mentioned before, the best picture I've experienced in my life is OTA. Enjoy.

12Cord Cutting Empty Re: Cord Cutting Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:20 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Ok, so CraveTV does *not* have HGTV shows, but HGTV.ca streams full episodes. Looks like you have to watch two ads per episode.

Ok, does anyone have experience with streaming full screen using an Android TV box or Apple TV?

13Cord Cutting Empty Re: Cord Cutting Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:24 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Ok, so CraveTV does *not* have HGTV shows, but HGTV.ca streams full episodes. Looks like you have to watch two ads per episode.

Ok, does anyone have experience with streaming full screen using an Android TV box or Apple TV?  

Streaming full screen?

14Cord Cutting Empty Re: Cord Cutting Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:49 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

"Streaming full screen" as in the web site has an option to go full screen and I want that on my TV. I don't there is a HGTV app for my smart TV or an Android box. With my phone and a Chromecast there are various ways, but most likely a full screen cast is required. And that usually looks pretty bad.

So I was hoping that Android TV or Apple TV had something built in to do a better job of streaming embedded content from a website to my TV.

15Cord Cutting Empty Re: Cord Cutting Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:10 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

http://cutcord.ca/getting-rid-of-cable-do-yourself-a-favour-and-get-a-tablo-seriously-it-is-worth-it/

The guy raved about this. A local company makes these (Nuvyyo on Legget). It's an OTA DVR. A unit with two runners is $280 on Amazon, and you have to add an external drive and a subscription to their guide, around $5 per month. This uses dual band wifi to stream to your screen (any screen) so you can co-locate it in the attic with your antenna to get better reception.

Not sure why you have to pay for three guide as that info is freely available via zap2it. Maybe zap2it charges for direct access (REST API or something similar). I'm sure you could write a program to scrub the web page but then any minor changes to layout will likely kill it. So that's probably it.

Interesting, still. I wonder what other options there are. Does TiVo make an OTA version?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum