GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GM Hockey » Ottawa Senators » Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 32 ... 60, 61, 62 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 61 of 67]

Oglethorpe

Veteran
Veteran
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
Oglethorpe wrote:
Es Ev wrote:I would not protect Dzingel under any circumstance
Who do you protect ?   Don't be an idiot and say Ryan.

Does Mac have a NMC? When does Burrows NMC kick in?

F: Burrows (NMC), Turris, Stone, Brassard, Hoffman, Pageau, Smith
D: Phaneuf (NMC), Karlsson, Ceci
G: Anderson

Leaving: Mac, Ryan, Dzingel, Methot, Wideman, Boro as probable targets.

Vegas takes Methot. Justification:

Mac (injury prone. High risk selection)
Ryan (hefty salary. likely not worth it given his salary/output)
Dzingel (possible but after his speed, his skills are average)
Boro (they can add a gritty d-man via UFA/other means)
Wideman (4-5 d-man at best. Value pick)
Methot (could be an A in Vegas. Decent contract term and price. Marquee player for marketing)
Most people do not understand the Expansion Draft requirements.  The Sens need to expose 2 forwards that meet the criteria for exposure.

The criteria is as follows:
Under contract for 2017-18
Played at least 40 games in the NHL this season OR played at least 70 NHL games in the past two seasons.

Currently these are our forwards who meet the criteria:
Stone
Hoffman
Turris
Brassard
Burrows
Ryan
Smith

So unless they sign Dzingel, Pyatt, Kelly, Stalberg, Wingels, Pageau or Neil BEFORE 5PM June 17th two of the above forwards must be exposed.  

This does not mean that Vegas is restricted to selecting from those players as you can protect or select RFA/UFAs.

EDIT: Burrows contract extension begins July 1, so he does not need to be protected (unless there was a verbal agreement with Dorion).

Last edited by Oglethorpe on Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star
Oglethorpe wrote:
Oglethorpe wrote:
Es Ev wrote:I would not protect Dzingel under any circumstance
Who do you protect ?   Don't be an idiot and say Ryan.

Does Mac have a NMC? When does Burrows NMC kick in?

F: Burrows (NMC), Turris, Stone, Brassard, Hoffman, Pageau, Smith
D: Phaneuf (NMC), Karlsson, Ceci
G: Anderson

Leaving: Mac, Ryan, Dzingel, Methot, Wideman, Boro as probable targets.

Vegas takes Methot. Justification:

Mac (injury prone. High risk selection)
Ryan (hefty salary. likely not worth it given his salary/output)
Dzingel (possible but after his speed, his skills are average)
Boro (they can add a gritty d-man via UFA/other means)
Wideman (4-5 d-man at best. Value pick)
Methot (could be an A in Vegas. Decent contract term and price. Marquee player for marketing)
Most people do not understand the Expansion Draft requirements.  The Sens need to expose 2 forwards that meet the criteria for exposure.

The criteria is as follows:
Under contract for 2017-18
Played at least 40 games in the NHL this season OR played at least 70 NHL games in the past two seasons.

Currently these are our forwards who meet the criteria:
Stone
Hoffman
Turris
Brassard
Burrows
Ryan
Smith

So unless they sign Dzingel, Pyatt, Kelly, Stalberg, Wingels, Pageau or Neil BEFORE 5PM June 17th two of the above forwards must be exposed.  

This does not mean that Vegas is restricted to selecting from those players as you can protect or select RFA/UFAs.

I would imagine that, in a year like this, we will move quickly to re-sign the players we want to keep. That includes Dzingel and Pyatt and Pageau for sure. I think it's pretty much a for-sure thing that all of those guys will be re-signed before that deadline.

Oglethorpe

Veteran
Veteran
@RP - There is no need to sign them in a hurry as you can protect RFAs. The only reason to sign them in a hurry would be to expose them.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Methot would be a good character pick for Vegas but there will probably be lots of players like that available, with a better contract.

I think Wideman or Ceci are better picks. Younger, more mobile, RHS, cheaper.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
And you could say that Methot has more character in the tip of his little finger than the other two, but, you know...

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star
I wonder if they'll re-sign Stalberg. He's been good in his role.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star
wprager wrote:Methot would be a good character pick for Vegas but there will probably be lots of players like that available,  with a better contract.

I think Wideman or Ceci are better picks.  Younger,  more mobile,  RHS, cheaper.

I think it'll be down to Methot or Wideman. And I have no problem with Methot's contract. If it's high, it's high by 500k or so. He's a 4-5 million dollar D.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran
If Vegas asked me who they should take, it would be Wideman. He is a UFA after next season and top 4 might be a stretch minutes wise, but he can definitely run a PP which will be vital to Vegas early in their existence. Not a lot of PP QBs available.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star
Oglethorpe wrote:If Vegas asked me who they should take, it would be Wideman.  He is a UFA after next season and top 4 might be a stretch minutes wise, but he can definitely run a PP which will be vital to Vegas early in their existence.  Not a lot of PP QBs available.

Noodles has been saying for months that they'll take Wideman. You've got a point. He's still growing his game as well. I'm a big fan and I think he provides something that we need: a shoot-first mentality. He'd be a good pickup for Vegas.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
spader wrote:
Oglethorpe wrote:If Vegas asked me who they should take, it would be Wideman.  He is a UFA after next season and top 4 might be a stretch minutes wise, but he can definitely run a PP which will be vital to Vegas early in their existence.  Not a lot of PP QBs available.

Noodles has been saying for months that they'll take Wideman. You've got a point. He's still growing his game as well. I'm a big fan and I think he provides something that we need: a shoot-first mentality. He'd be a good pickup for Vegas.

I'm not sure they'd take Wideman when they have a chance at taking a top-two defenceman signed to a decent contract.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star
spader wrote:

I'm not sure they'd take Wideman when they have a chance at taking a top-two defenceman signed to a decent contract.

Agreed, I don't think it's even close. The only factor that makes Wideman more attractive is his bargain contract. But you do have to think that they'll have to be hunting for a few bargains like Wideman, because I'm guessing there will be some teams out there offering big incentives for Vegas to take some big contracts off of their hands, so who knows.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
I think Vegas has a lot of options. Every team will be giving up a pretty decent player.

Take Anaheim for instance, if they protect 3 d-men:

Protect: Lindholm, Vatanen, Fowler
Available: Bieksa, Stoner, Montour

Or Vancouver:

Protect: Edler, Tanev, Sbisa
Available: Gudbranson, Biega

I actually think Vegas will be set in D and in goal. Either Fleury or Murray will be available, Crawford or Darling, Bishop via UFA, etc. If they can land a few forwards via UFA they can do quite well. A guy like TJ Oshie is exactly what Vegas needs as a captain. Can definitely see him signing in Vegas.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Vegas will be awful. Don't kid yourself. They are going to have average players everywhere in their lineup. Goaltending will be the only decent position.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I think Vegas has a lot of options. Every team will be giving up a pretty decent player.

Or Vancouver:

I actually think Vegas will be set in D and in goal. Either Fleury or Murray will be available, Crawford or Darling, Bishop via UFA, etc. If they can land a few forwards via UFA they can do quite well. A guy like TJ Oshie is exactly what Vegas needs as a captain. Can definitely see him signing in Vegas.

They'll have lots of 3/4 Dmen and guys like Methot will be available, but they won't have a solid puck mover, IMO. And I'm betting that Vancouver protects Gudbranson over Sbisa, but who knows?

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star
Ev wrote:Vegas will be awful. Don't kid yourself. They are going to have average players everywhere in their lineup. Goaltending will be the only decent position.

I think they'll load up on Dmen, and then trade a bunch back to teams to get some meaningful offense.

What's the max # of D they can draft? They're taking 1 player from each team, meaning 30 players, so presumably they're going to have at least 7 players to trade away, no?

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star
rooneypoo wrote:
Ev wrote:Vegas will be awful. Don't kid yourself. They are going to have average players everywhere in their lineup. Goaltending will be the only decent position.

I think they'll load up on Dmen, and then trade a bunch back to teams to get some meaningful offense.

What's the max # of D they can draft? They're taking 1 player from each team, meaning 30 players, so presumably they're going to have at least 7 players to trade away, no?

They'll need to stock an AHL team as well.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran
rooneypoo wrote:

They must draft a minimum 14 F 9 D and 3G.  So they could conceivably go up to 13 D.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I think Vegas has a lot of options. Every team will be giving up a pretty decent player.

Or Vancouver:

Anaheim is in a tough spot as Bieksa has an NMC. If they protect all 4 d listed they will lose Rackell or Silf.  I imagine they trade a D and go 7+3+1

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 61 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 32 ... 60, 61, 62 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum