GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+10
Ev
Oglethorpe
SensHulk
DefenceWinsChampionships
PTFlea
SeawaySensFan
tim1_2
spader
wprager
Flo The Action
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 50 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 34 of 67]

spader

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:So, when Ryan is healthy, who comes out?  I think the obvious answer is Wingles. I'd like to say Kelly, but he is a left-hand-shooting center who can take face offs, something neither Wingles nor Ryan can do.  But rather than shuffle the lines, why not simply put Ryan in Wingles' place on that fourth line.  Yeah, he makes $7.25M, but our 4th liners are playing 12+ minutes, and contributing on the scoresheet.  Heck, Stalberg had two PP points last night.

I don't think Boucher gives a single $hit who makes what when he sets his lines.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

spader wrote:
wprager wrote:So, when Ryan is healthy, who comes out?  I think the obvious answer is Wingles. I'd like to say Kelly, but he is a left-hand-shooting center who can take face offs, something neither Wingles nor Ryan can do.  But rather than shuffle the lines, why not simply put Ryan in Wingles' place on that fourth line.  Yeah, he makes $7.25M, but our 4th liners are playing 12+ minutes, and contributing on the scoresheet.  Heck, Stalberg had two PP points last night.

I don't think Boucher gives a single $hit who makes what when he sets his lines.

I believe his exact quote was: "I don't coach contracts, I coach players". What a great line that was.

EDIT: http://www.tsn.ca/radio/ottawa-1200/guy-boucher-i-don-t-coach-contracts-i-coach-players-1.671470

spader

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
spader wrote:

I believe his exact quote was: "I don't coach contracts, I coach players".  What a great line that was.

EDIT: http://www.tsn.ca/radio/ottawa-1200/guy-boucher-i-don-t-coach-contracts-i-coach-players-1.671470

Good. I've never understood the "he makes $x per year, therefore the coach will play him on x line" argument. Frankly, I think it's pretty dumb.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Not that we need to stir the pot, but Dahlen with one of the best performances from a player this young in the Allsvenskan, says Corey Pronman. 5 points in the fist game of the playoffs.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Performances in any league but the NHL mean pretty much nothing to mean. Young David Roundleaf was a superstar overseas as well.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

tim1_2 wrote:Performances in any league but the NHL mean pretty much nothing to mean.  Young David Roundleaf was a superstar overseas as well.

True.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Goalies face similar shots. Angles are a little different because of the ice surface dimensions, but that is a relatively minor adjustment.

Defense is very, very different. Back in the day when I was checking into Rundblad's fantastic stats, I checked the list of single season top performers over the years. A veritable list of unknowns as far as the NHL is concerned.

It is a little different for forwards, there is more correlation. But this was at the SEL level, not the Allsvenskan. Dahlen is small and not lighting fast; because of the relative lack of hitting on Europe he has a relatively easy time. Doesn't mean he won't succeed here, but for the smaller players success in Europe does not often translate into success in North America.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

PTFlea wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:Performances in any league but the NHL mean pretty much nothing to mean.  Young David Roundleaf was a superstar overseas as well.

True.

Silfverberg and Rundblad. If you're a slow skater you can get by in the SEL because of the ice size and level of competition. We can't knock the trade until Dhalen is playing in the AHL and is dominating. Like I've been saying for some time now, a prospect is a prospect. Until they make the big show, it's all speculative.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
PTFlea wrote:

True.

Silfverberg and Rundblad. If you're a slow skater you can get by in the SEL because of the ice size and level of competition. We can't knock the trade until Dhalen is playing in the AHL and is dominating. Like I've been saying for some time now, a prospect is a prospect. Until they make the big show, it's all speculative.

Young Lazar is barely worth a bag of pucks right now. At one point, he was an untouchable, can't miss prospect. In fact, a lot of guys who play for Team Canada never make it big in the NHL. Ottawa also has a bad track record of Swedes wanting to play in Canada as of late (Wikstrand, Pederson, etc)

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Bottom line, we all saw him at the World Juniors. Yes, he scored 5 goals and was among the leaders (4th in goals, top-20 in points) but 3 of those goals came in one game against a fairly weak team (Czechs); in games against Finland, Canada and Russia he had a total of 1 point, that goal on a horrible giveaway right in front of the Russian goalie (bang-bang play).

It's clearly way too early to say he's a bust but it's just as early to consider him anything resembling a lock for the NHL.

Hell, we don't even think White will be much more than a good third liner.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Apparently the Sens tried to get Sharp out of Dallas but he wouldn't waive his NTC to come here.
http://www.ottawasun.com/2017/03/08/sens-were-looking-to-sharp-en-up-at-deadline

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:Apparently the Sens tried to get Sharp out of Dallas but he wouldn't waive his NTC to come here.
http://www.ottawasun.com/2017/03/08/sens-were-looking-to-sharp-en-up-at-deadline

That sucks. Likely the reason they went for Burrows, I would have much preferred Sharp. But oh well, I guess he wants the long off-season instead...

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Sharp is also injured. Will require surgery in the off-season she would have had it sooner if they were more out of it.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Looks like Turris is still out and Stone may be, as well. Sens have recalled Varone.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Figured they would,  I really like varone so far

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Hoff-Machine wrote:
wprager wrote:Apparently the Sens tried to get Sharp out of Dallas but he wouldn't waive his NTC to come here.

That sucks.  Likely the reason they went for Burrows, I would have much preferred Sharp.  But oh well, I guess he wants the long off-season instead...

Hopefully the success of the Sens this season helps convince players that Ottawa is an ideal place to live and play.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
Hoff-Machine wrote:

That sucks.  Likely the reason they went for Burrows, I would have much preferred Sharp.  But oh well, I guess he wants the long off-season instead...

Hopefully the success of the Sens this season helps convince players that Ottawa is an ideal place to live and play.

I'd much rather play in Ottawa than Winnipeg, Edmonton, Buffalo, Columbus, Carolina. Even cities like St. Louis, Detroit and Chicago are pretty dreadful places to live due to crime. Not sure why Ottawa has such a bad rep around the league - especially to a Canadian during the Trump era.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Three words: marginal tax rates.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 34 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 50 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum