GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+13
DefenceWinsChampionships
Cap'n Clutch
dennycrane
Hobiesens
Hoags
SeawaySensFan
tim1_2
Ev
SensHulk
Flo The Action
PTFlea
spader
wprager
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 33 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 64 of 67]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Definitely. I think everyone's very pleased to move on from that one and now move into what could be a tougher one with Ceci after Dekeyser's Great Day.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Ev wrote:
PTFlea wrote:
Ev wrote:Don't love Hoffman but like the deal. If he peaked last year then you're not overpaying by too much.

In this ridiculous Dekeyser @ 5 million X 6 years, 5.18 for a 27-29 goal scorer is underpaying.

I'm not the biggest Hoffman fan either, but I like the speed and sharp-shooting element he brings and I think he can get some of the finer details of the game from Crawford and Boucher.  I like it.

I thought they might come in @ Nyqvist numbers, but w/e.

They are not underpaying him. He has had too little experience to be worth anything more than $4.5-$5 million

But ... Dekeyser!

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

PTFlea wrote:Definitely.  I think everyone's very pleased to move on from that one and now move into what could be a tougher one with Ceci after Dekeyser's Great Day.

Oh, crap, you're right. How much is mama's cooking worth to Cody, I wonder? Sens have $8.8M cap space left. If Ceci gets anywhere near $5M they will be just $4M under the cap. Last year only 13 teams in the league were under $5M in cap room. Toronto were almost exactly at $4M and were 10th highest (cap) in the league. Could be the Sens will be in the top-third or very close. What does that do to the "budget" talk?

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:
PTFlea wrote:Definitely.  I think everyone's very pleased to move on from that one and now move into what could be a tougher one with Ceci after Dekeyser's Great Day.

Oh, crap, you're right.  How much is mama's cooking worth to Cody, I wonder?  Sens have $8.8M cap space left.  If Ceci gets anywhere near $5M they will be just $4M under the cap.  Last year only 13 teams in the league were under $5M in cap room.  Toronto were almost exactly at $4M and were 10th highest (cap) in the league.  Could be the Sens will be in the top-third or very close.  What does that do to the "budget" talk?

Budget! Ahhhhh!

I really think they bridge Ceci big time. 2 years, 2.75 per year, something like that. He's still got a lot to prove.

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

DeKeyser was one year from UFA, Ceci is 4.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

dennycrane wrote:DeKeyser was one year from UFA, Ceci is 4.

Ceci is actually better, though.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

So the structure of the Hoffman contract makes me think ticket prices are going up in 2017-18; or we get a new owner.

Last edited by wprager on Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Mendes tweeted this quote from Boucher back in May:
Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! - Page 64 CoYMty7XgAEf_HX

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoffman 10-team NTC kicks in next July.

Hmmm. makes oyu think.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:

Oh, crap, you're right.  How much is mama's cooking worth to Cody, I wonder?  Sens have $8.8M cap space left.  If Ceci gets anywhere near $5M they will be just $4M under the cap.  Last year only 13 teams in the league were under $5M in cap room.  Toronto were almost exactly at $4M and were 10th highest (cap) in the league.  Could be the Sens will be in the top-third or very close.  What does that do to the "budget" talk?

Nothing?

OTT has done nothing but lock up all its key young players, year over year, since people starting talking about this. And you're right, I think Ceci earns at least a $3 mil / year deal, pushing our cap up to $68~ mil.

The problem is people say' budget' and they don't have a clear idea of what they're actually trying to communicate. I believe the Sens have an internal budget, under the cap but well over the floor. But if your budget is $70~ mil ish, which is what it's looking like at this point, and your cap is $73 mil, then it's a pretty minute point to insist on. Meaningless, really.

Anyway, we've been smart with our cap and salary commitments long term. Turris and Stone will need new contracts in 2 years, and so will Anderson (or we'll need a new goalie). Karlsson (and Methot, if he's still here) are up the year after that. The people who think the Sens don't spend on UFA day because they're cheap are myopic and just don't see the long term impact of stupid UFA spending. Do you think that, if NYI could go back in time, they would still give out $9 mil /yr to Grabo and Kulemin via UFA if they had realized it would cost them Okposo?

People can be so stubborn and short sighted on this question.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Ev wrote:Hoffman 10-team NTC kicks in next July.

Hmmm. makes oyu think.

Indeed, that's interesting.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PTFlea wrote:
Ev wrote:Hoffman 10-team NTC kicks in next July.

Hmmm. makes oyu think.

Indeed, that's interesting.
Yeah, it sounds like they want to test drive Hoffman on another year before feeling like they're fully comited to him for the other 3. Will be interesting to see Hoffman on a non-contract year.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

rooneypoo wrote:
wprager wrote:

Nothing?

OTT has done nothing but lock up all its key young players, year over year, since people starting talking about this. And you're right, I think Ceci earns at least a $3 mil / year deal, pushing our cap up to $68~ mil.

The problem is people say' budget' and they don't have a clear idea of what they're actually trying to communicate. I believe the Sens have an internal budget, under the cap but well over the floor. But if your budget is $70~ mil ish, which is what it's looking like at this point, and your cap is $73 mil, then it's a pretty minute point to insist on. Meaningless, really.

Anyway, we've been smart with our cap and salary commitments long term. Turris and Stone will need new contracts in 2 years, and so will Anderson (or we'll need a new goalie). Karlsson (and Methot, if he's still here) are up the year after that. The people who think the Sens don't spend on UFA day because they're cheap are myopic and just don't see the long term impact of stupid UFA spending. Do you think that, if NYI could go back in time, they would still give out $9 mil /yr to Grabo and Kulemin via UFA if they had realized it would cost them Okposo?

I think that's a crock of Dung. Yeah we all know the org operates under their own budget and you can't be counting players new contracts in 2 -3 years. You know what other teams do when they operate closer to the cap ceiling because of FA? They end up trading players and recuperating assets. So sorry if I don't buy into that scenario that we are holding off for future contracts. We could easily invest on a one or two year contract on a guy like Hudler for the third line and not have a problem with the cap.
And the isles had the space to resign okposo, they too operate under a self imposed budget. They were the masters of their own destiny and their own budget cost them. I wouldn't place the blame on just sayin they made bad decisions.

Truth is this self imposed budget IS hampering us from putting he best competitive team out there.
It plays into how we handle making trades(like having to move out our bad contracts in one like the phaneuf trade) so don't start coming in here telling anyone that's got a problem with the budget mentality that they are day dreaming. That's bull

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Good contract. Didn't sound too difficult to get done. Looks like Cameron was not a good coach and Hoff's gonna get even hotter.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
wprager wrote:

Nothing?

I think that's a crock of Dung. Yeah we all know the org operates under their own budget and you can't be counting players new contracts in 2 -3 years. You know what other teams do when they operate closer to the cap ceiling because of FA? They end up trading players and recuperating assets. So sorry if I don't buy into that scenario that we are holding off for future contracts. We could easily invest on a one or two year contract on a guy like Hudler for the third line and not have a problem with the cap.
And the isles had the space to resign okposo, they too operate under a self imposed budget. They were the masters of their own destiny and their own budget cost them. I wouldn't place the blame on just sayin they made bad decisions.

Truth is this self imposed budget IS hampering us from putting he best competitive team out there.
It plays into how we handle making trades(like having to move out our bad contracts in one like the phaneuf trade) so don't start coming in here telling anyone that's got a problem with the budget mentality that they are day dreaming. That's bull

People think Dung average players like Hudler would suddenly propel us to some higher level?

Rooneypoo's post was 100% correct. A small market, retooling, Canadian team operating on a slight budget is 100% fair especially given the contracts we need to dish out soon.

Last edited by Ev on Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

rooneypoo wrote:
wprager wrote:

Nothing?

That's Ottawa fans. I don't blame them entirely though, melnyk has come out constantly and said dumb things, and this Dung really spiraled out of control after the alfie debacle. Since then though, sens have signed every key player to a contract. Ppl just automatically assume that if a team doesn't throw out ridiculous money in short order, then they're cheap. Perhaps when the sens are realistically in the realm of a stanely cup, they'll add that key player without having to waive or trade another key cog in the lineup.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

My $0.02....Hoffman got a tad bit overpaid. $5M was the max he deserved. And the fact his salary jumps from $3.8M to $5.6M tells me this will be another prove it type of year or he's gonna get traded next summer.

All things considered, I'm glad they got him signed and ppl can finally stfu about losing hoffman or going to arb with him. And now I can finally change my username......

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Melnyk has such a big mouth, it's so bad...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 64 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 33 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum