GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Off Season Rumours

+12
TheAvatar
Cap'n Clutch
SensHulk
Hoags
DefenceWinsChampionships
Ev
spader
tim1_2
Flo The Action
wprager
SeawaySensFan
PTFlea
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 27 ... 50  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 50]

61Off Season Rumours - Page 5 Empty Re: Off Season Rumours Wed May 18, 2016 1:54 pm

spader

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:If there is an expansion next year, as has been rumored, then the GMs will likely find out early, so they can make strategic trades to offset difficult decisions on whom to protect.  For example, you can only protect one goalie and the Penguins would have to protect Fleury, since he has a limited NTC.  They would have to preemptively trade Fleury or lose Murray in the expansion draft.  There are likely plenty of similar situations around the league.  Could be a record-setting off-season for trades.

I'm still not clear on that. What if a team has 20 players on NMCs? They get to protect more players?

62Off Season Rumours - Page 5 Empty Re: Off Season Rumours Wed May 18, 2016 2:10 pm

Hoags

All-Star
All-Star

I thought only NMC had to be protected

63Off Season Rumours - Page 5 Empty Re: Off Season Rumours Wed May 18, 2016 2:21 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

spader wrote:
I'm still not clear on that. What if a team has 20 players on NMCs? They get to protect more players?

No team has that many. Plus most of the players with NMC/NTC are older players, less desirable than younger/cheaper players.

Hoags wrote:I thought only NMC had to be protected

Well no rules have officially been confirmed. But in my opinion it would be both. NTC is still the biggest part of these clauses; NMC adds not being able to send the player down to the minors. Besides the NHLPA would fight tooth and nail to keep existing contract terms unaffected by the expansion draft.

64Off Season Rumours - Page 5 Empty Re: Off Season Rumours Wed May 18, 2016 3:42 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
spader wrote:

No team has that many.  Plus most of the players with NMC/NTC are older players, less desirable than younger/cheaper players.  

Well no rules have officially been confirmed.  But in my opinion it would be both.  NTC is still the biggest part of these clauses; NMC adds not being able to send the player down to the minors.  Besides the NHLPA would fight tooth and nail to keep existing contract terms unaffected by the expansion draft.

A NTC shouldn't protect anyone from the draft. Draft=/=Trade. The clause is specific. The only chance players have of protection is with a NMC, I believe. No-movement is a different story than no-trade.

65Off Season Rumours - Page 5 Empty Re: Off Season Rumours Wed May 18, 2016 4:05 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Yeah, from the GMs last set of meetings, it sounds as if only players with NMC will have to be protected, and NTC guys will NOT have to be protected. I'm pretty sure this is how it will end up working.

This means the only guy the Sens will HAVE to protect is Phaneuf. This likely means that Methot gets left unprotected though, as I think Karlsson and Ceci will be the other D protected.

66Off Season Rumours - Page 5 Empty Re: Off Season Rumours Wed May 18, 2016 4:30 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

A NTC is meant to protect the player from an unwanted/unwelcomed move to a new team. A NMC also adds protection from being demoted to the AHL. The NHLPA will go ballistic if players on NTC can be moved without their approval.

But I guess we will see.

67Off Season Rumours - Page 5 Empty Re: Off Season Rumours Wed May 18, 2016 5:30 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

I'm sure the legal language in the contract is key.

NTC states they can't be "traded"(no trade here). NMC says they can't be moved anywhere etc.

They should have written a clause about expansion drafts in there. A NEDC so to speak.

If that's how the legal language is written. The NHLPA doesn't have a leg to stand on

68Off Season Rumours - Page 5 Empty Re: Off Season Rumours Wed May 18, 2016 6:17 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Hoags wrote:I'm sure the legal language in the contract is key.

NTC states they can't be "traded"(no trade here).  NMC says they can't be moved anywhere etc.

They should have written a clause about expansion drafts in there.  A NEDC so to speak.

If that's how the legal language is written.  The NHLPA doesn't have a leg to stand on

Agreed. That's why there's a difference between the two. If Walt's interpretation was the common interpretation, there would be no need for two different types of clauses.

69Off Season Rumours - Page 5 Empty Re: Off Season Rumours Wed May 18, 2016 6:19 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:A NTC is meant to protect the player from an unwanted/unwelcomed move to a new team.  A NMC also adds protection from being demoted to the AHL.  The NHLPA will go ballistic if players on NTC can be moved without their approval.

But I guess we will see.

Not exactly. A NTC is meant to protect the player from a trade to another team. That's it; that's all. It isn't meant to prevent movement, just a trade (which is why they can be moved to an AHL team, which wouldn't be "wanted" or "welcomed" by anybody if the NHL was the alternative).

70Off Season Rumours - Page 5 Empty Re: Off Season Rumours Wed May 18, 2016 6:56 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:A NTC is meant to protect the player from an unwanted/unwelcomed move to a new team.  A NMC also adds protection from being demoted to the AHL.  The NHLPA will go ballistic if players on NTC can be moved without their approval.

But I guess we will see.

I'm just telling you what was reported after the last set of meetings on this subject. NMC players had to be protected, NTC players could be unprotected. I think even the NHLPA was involved in this discussion and they were OK with it.

71Off Season Rumours - Page 5 Empty Re: Off Season Rumours Wed May 18, 2016 9:38 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:

But I guess we will see.

I'm just telling you what was reported after the last set of meetings on this subject. NMC players had to be protected, NTC players could be unprotected. I think even the NHLPA was involved in this discussion and they were OK with it.
I concur

72Off Season Rumours - Page 5 Empty Re: Off Season Rumours Wed May 18, 2016 9:57 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

spader wrote:

But I guess we will see.

Not exactly. A NTC is meant to protect the player from a trade to another team. That's it; that's all. It isn't meant to prevent movement, just a trade (which is why they can be moved to an AHL team, which wouldn't be "wanted" or "welcomed" by anybody if the NHL was the alternative).

A trade to another team *is* a move. A NTC is a subset of a NMC the only difference being that NMC also means you cannot waive a player through to the minors. But the purpose of both clauses is to prevent a player's family life from being disrupted by a move.

73Off Season Rumours - Page 5 Empty Re: Off Season Rumours Thu May 19, 2016 8:39 am

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

So. Rumors. Who thinks Ott goes after Eriksson?

Would it make sense to trade Hoff + for a #1 center and sign Eriksson to a 5 year deal?

74Off Season Rumours - Page 5 Empty Re: Off Season Rumours Thu May 19, 2016 8:49 am

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
spader wrote:

But I guess we will see.

A trade to another team *is* a move.  A NTC is a subset of a NMC the only difference being that NMC also means you cannot waive a player through to the minors.  But the purpose of both clauses is to prevent a player's family life from being disrupted by a move.

You're absolutely correct but it all comes down to how it's worded in the player contract. I don't think they had expansion drafts in mind when they wrote them.

75Off Season Rumours - Page 5 Empty Re: Off Season Rumours Thu May 19, 2016 11:31 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:So. Rumors. Who thinks Ott goes after Eriksson?

Would it make sense to trade Hoff + for a #1 center and sign Eriksson to a 5 year deal?

Nah, unless you can get Duchene, which is a huge if.

I'd love to see them sign Eriksson though. I have my doubts, but I'd love it. Perfect fit here.

76Off Season Rumours - Page 5 Empty Re: Off Season Rumours Thu May 19, 2016 12:33 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Watching (a little anyway) Mark Scheifele and Stone play together...is amazing. I'd love to get Scheifele.

77Off Season Rumours - Page 5 Empty Re: Off Season Rumours Thu May 19, 2016 12:47 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispensed wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:So. Rumors. Who thinks Ott goes after Eriksson?

Nah, unless you can get Duchene, which is a huge if.

I'd love to see them sign Eriksson though.  I have my doubts, but I'd love it.  Perfect fit here.

Yeah my hopes is we go after Eriksson also but because we never really go after any FA of importance in the last while I have to temper my expectations.
Maybe when there's an arena downtown... Sarcasm

We might need someone to replace MacArthur also. He might be another hit away from retirement.

78Off Season Rumours - Page 5 Empty Re: Off Season Rumours Thu May 19, 2016 12:47 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispensed wrote:Watching (a little anyway) Mark Scheifele and Stone play together...is amazing.  I'd love to get Scheifele.
Big fan of the pipe dreams you are eh? Sarcasm

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 50]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 27 ... 50  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum