GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+13
Hobiesens
dennycrane
DefenceWinsChampionships
Hoags
Oglethorpe
SensHulk
Ev
Flo The Action
wprager
PTFlea
tim1_2
SeawaySensFan
spader
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 34 ... 64, 65, 66, 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 65 of 67]

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoags wrote:Well the trade would have been more than Ceci.  I don't think Yzerman was going to trade him unless someone drastically overpaid.
Yeah but I doubt it would of been Ceci and our first. Probably Ceci and a guy like puempel and a pick.

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I got to say I'm kind of interested to see which player improves the most under Boucher. My money is on Bobby Ryan, ceci and possibly Chiasson if he's still around.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Rishaug was interviewed on TGOR this morning. Stone is likely to move up in the lineup as the bench gets shorter. Quarter final against Team Sweden goes today at 1:15PM.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

As we've all expected:
http://ottawacitizen.com/sports/hockey/nhl/senatorsextra/patrick-wierciochs-price-tag-appears-too-high-for-senators

The QO is based on salary, not cap hit, and Wiercioch made $2.7M last year. Minimum qualifying offer is $2.7M.

I also recently heard that the team can take a player to arbitration to ask for a reduction of up to 15%. Not sure if that applies to RFAs (but who else can you take to arbitration, eh?) However even with a 15% reduction that would still mean $2.295M -- too high for a frequent healthy scratch.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

It's still not clear what they will do with Chiasson but, at the very least, I doubt they will keep trying to give him more (undeserved) ice time like he was getting with Clouston. So, differences from last year's roster:
- Wiericoh replaced with Phaneuf on second pairing
- Borowiecki nowhere near 2nd pairing (or top line); expect veteran LHD to be brought in
- Greening/Prince gone
- Chiasson either gone or is the 13th forward
- healthy MacArthur
- Hoffman in the top six and 1st PP unit
- Ceci given more PP ice time

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:It's still not clear what they will do with Chiasson but, at the very least, I doubt they will keep trying to give him more (undeserved) ice time like he was getting with Clouston.  So, differences from last year's roster:
- Wiericoh replaced with Phaneuf on second pairing
- Borowiecki nowhere near 2nd pairing (or top line); expect veteran LHD to be brought in
- Greening/Prince gone
- Chiasson either gone or is the 13th forward
- healthy MacArthur
- Hoffman in the top six and 1st PP unit
- Ceci given more PP ice time

Agree but with the following changes
- Wiericoh replaced with Methot on second pairing. Phaneuf on first pairing
- Borowiecki nowhere near 2nd pairing (or top line); expect stopgap/veteran LHD
- Chiasson gone. McCormick, Robinson, or Puempel 13th forward

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Can't disagree, as I've been pushing for promoting Phaneuf.

I don't know the full story on Chiasson. He's big and he tries. But he doesn't play to his size (he's a lover not a fighter). Robinson is the same way. Nick Paul, who probably has better skill than the other two, also plays a more physical game. So at this point I'd put Paul ahead of the other two, for sure. But eventually Paul moves up to the 3rd line (injuries or simply outplaying someone). So who would make a better 13th forward -- Chiasson or Robinson?

Yeah, I kinda left McCormick and Puempel out of this discussion, that's because I'm looking at players with size.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:Can't disagree, as I've been pushing for promoting Phaneuf.

I don't know the full story on Chiasson.  He's big and he tries.  But he doesn't play to his size (he's a lover not a fighter).  Robinson is the same way.  Nick Paul, who probably has better skill than the other two, also plays a more physical game.  So at this point I'd put Paul ahead of the other two, for sure.  But eventually Paul moves up to the 3rd line (injuries or simply outplaying someone).  So who would make a better 13th forward -- Chiasson or Robinson?

Yeah, I kinda left McCormick and Puempel out of this discussion, that's because I'm looking at players with size.

Not sure how Puempel can be left out of the discussion considering he was supposed to have made the team twice within the last two years. I realistically see Neil as the 13th forward. If all things stay status quo:

LW: Mac, Hoff, Smith, Dzingel
C: Turris, Zib, Pageau, Lazar
RW: Stone, Ryan, Paul, Puempel
Extra: Neil, McCormick, Robinson. This also doesn't include Akeson and Varone who I believe can both play 4th line minutes at the NHL level.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Methot and EK already play well together, I can't imagine them breaking that pairing up.  Not sure what putting Phaneuf on the top pairing accomplishes(no harm I suppose).

We'll see what Le Chiffre decides.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

If Puempel makes the team it will be on the third line, not 4th, and I was discussing where Chiasson fits in, if anywhere. I don't think those two are vying for the same spot.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Hoags wrote:Methot and EK already play well together, I can't imagine them breaking that pairing up.  Not sure what putting Phaneuf on the top pairing accomplishes(no harm I suppose).

We'll see what Le Chiffre decides.

Maybe EK + DP is an even better pairing. Phaneuf is a better defenseman than Methot, especially with Methot showing signs of the hip still bothering him. In-season I can see why they wouldn't switch things up, but now that we are starting a brand new one, I absolutely think Phaneuf deserves a shot at the top pairing.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
wprager wrote:Can't disagree, as I've been pushing for promoting Phaneuf.

I don't know the full story on Chiasson.  He's big and he tries.  But he doesn't play to his size (he's a lover not a fighter).  Robinson is the same way.  Nick Paul, who probably has better skill than the other two, also plays a more physical game.  So at this point I'd put Paul ahead of the other two, for sure.  But eventually Paul moves up to the 3rd line (injuries or simply outplaying someone).  So who would make a better 13th forward -- Chiasson or Robinson?

Not sure how Puempel can be left out of the discussion considering he was supposed to have made the team twice within the last two years. I realistically see Neil as the 13th forward. If all things stay status quo:

LW: Mac, Hoff, Smith, Dzingel
C: Turris, Zib, Pageau, Lazar
RW: Stone, Ryan, Paul, Puempel
Extra: Neil, McCormick, Robinson. This also doesn't include Akeson and Varone who I believe can both play 4th line minutes at the NHL level.

I keep forgetting Neil is still on the roster Smile

I'm still not buying Smith as a suddenly 20-goal scorer. He may well be moved in the off-season to maximize on his recent success.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Smith isn't a 20+ goal scorer, his shooting percentage literally doubled.

They should trade him while his value is high imo.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I still don't see this 'roster shake-up' that Dorion promised.

Realistically, I'd imagine the lineup looking like this:

MacArthur - Turris - Ryan
Hoffman - Zibanejad - ????
Smith - Pageau - Stone
Dzingel - Paul - Lazar
Extras Neil and Puempel - hopefully Chiasson diddles off

If they cheap out and do absolutely nothing to the forward ranks, then move Stone up and Lazar up and insert Neil.

Defence:

Methot - Karlsson
Phaneuf - Ceci
Borowiecki - ???
Wideman

Anderson
Hammond

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

No matter what happens, you MUST bring in a veteran D-man for the third pairing. It's a must.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispensed wrote:No matter what happens, you MUST bring in a veteran D-man for the third pairing.  It's a must.

In the previous post you have "Boro - ???" and then Wideman as the 7th, so I assume the "MUST" here is a RHD. So you are saying Wideman is good enough to represent his country but not good enough to play on the third pairing?

I'd much rather see Boro's time reduced than Wideman's.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

OK, I guess Wideman has to go.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:No matter what happens, you MUST bring in a veteran D-man for the third pairing.  It's a must.

In the previous post you have "Boro - ???" and then Wideman as the 7th, so I assume the "MUST" here is a RHD.  So you are saying Wideman is good enough to represent his country but not good enough to play on the third pairing?

I'd much rather see Boro's time reduced than Wideman's.

Doesn't matter which side you get. I'd be looking at a righty personally. I like Boro and his toughness a lot.

Boro can 'play' both sides anyway.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 65 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 34 ... 64, 65, 66, 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum