GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY #68: Senators @ Hurricanes - 7:00 pm - Tuesday, March 8 2016

+6
dennycrane
PTFlea
SeawaySensFan
tim1_2
Ev
wprager
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 7]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Stamkos Sarcasm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Flo The Action wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:
wprager wrote:Going forward without the Cowen/Wiercioch saga and with Phaneuf here the full season, with Turris healthy and with CMac in the lineup, I think this team is as good as the top-three in the division.  Remember that they were a point back of Detroit with a game in hand when Turris got injured.

Going forward, depth-wise, we know what we have in Dzingel, McCormick, Paul and Claesson.  Add in White, who is, by all accounts, already better than all other forward prospects.  Hopefullly Paul and White give us the depth we need at center.  

Everyone keeps reminding me that Zibanejad is still only 22 and despite the flaws in his game is still improving, albeit very slowly.  He's on pace for his best season point-wise, even if his goals total takes a tumble (at 14, he would need 6 in the next 14 games to reach the career high of 20).  But it you look a little closer, he is actually on pace for 47 points, which is just one points more than last year.  So is he still progressing or has he reached his ceiling?  Hard to say.  If they could use him as a piece in a trade for an upgrade at C then I'd be all for it; but if the upgrade takes Zibanejad *and* White, forget it -- I'd rather have Zibanejad and his 45-50 points *and* depth at center.

I think there's some work to do, but the foundation is built relatively well.  Absolutely no veteran center may hurt the team and we have Hoffman as bait.

Regardless I'd say they need to get either an upgrade at c or another winger ala mac just in case he's not good to go.

After that...I think we're pretty competitive  and I believe this was a blip on the radar this year
If we get rid of Hoffman we are definitely weak on the left side. Like we are going to need two top 6 LW. I like mac but to be honest on a good team he is a 3rd line forward. Maybe we can have him play in the top 6 until one of our youth fills that position and then we still need to replace Hoffman. If things go badly again, this will be a position of weakness again next year. Not liking it.

Yeah that's true. Wonder what would have happened with a healthy mac...

You could spend the money on Ladd, but I dislike older players as free agents usually

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

If we had a healthy Mac and Turris all year, we're on the playoffs. That said, you need a deep talent pool to overcome these injuries when they happen , and we just don't have that right now. Hopefully next year everybody's relatively healthy, and ZBad and a couple other guys take a step forward.

Now if we trade ZBad+ for an upgrade at centre, that's even better. Or maybe we sign a centre...whatever. You gotta think Murray (or whoever) won't be content with the exact same lineup.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

They also needed phaneuf from day 1. So happy with that trade.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispensed wrote:They also needed phaneuf from day 1.  So happy with that trade.
Maybe Murray will be content with this pool of players now that we have Phaneuf. I doubt it since he's constantly trying to trade for Drouin .

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

It's tough to stand Pat when you just missed the playoffs.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I really Cussing hope so but this is Murray we are talking about. And Melnyk . Who's started another lawsuit. Likely not going to want to spend huge

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Can't stand pat. He stood pat last summer and failed.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispensed wrote:Can't stand pat.   He stood pat last summer and failed.

But he didn't stand pat. We've lost Greening, Michalek, Cowen, Phillips (or at least his cap hit), Prince and, very likely, Wiercioch; and gained Phaneuf, Puempel, Paul, Dzingel. Starting the year with a healthy CMac and Turris also huge. No big difficult decision about Puempel and Prince. Just let Puempel play on the fourth line and get some reps in. Paul and White also means Smith can continue playing on the wing, now that he seems to have found some chemistry.

That's a lot of turnover in the roster.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Yeah. I hold my break a little each summer and nearly suffocate every time. Think this summer will be any different?
There's a couple of winger available that would be sweet. Nothing at C that is of major interest. Unless we go the trade road. I'm getting used to this team standing pat when it's time to make moves that I don't expect us to make another one until it's freaging apparent that we need another one. And I mean into next season with 3-4 injuries.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:

But he didn't stand pat.  We've lost Greening, Michalek, Cowen, Phillips (or at least his cap hit), Prince and, very likely, Wiercioch; and gained Phaneuf, Puempel, Paul, Dzingel.  Starting the year with a healthy CMac and Turris also huge.  No big difficult decision about Puempel and Prince.  Just let Puempel play on the fourth line and get some reps in.  Paul and White also means Smith can continue playing on the wing, now that he seems to have found some chemistry.

Now that he's addressed the D, he needs either a veteran C or a veteran winger. You could roll with Drouin, but imo you need a vet up there.

Hopefully there's a trade out there like the Phaneuf trade, but a C.

That's my opinion, obviously but you don't need to make a move on D now unless you're getting a veteran 3rd pairing guy, you need to focus on the forwards.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispensed wrote:
wprager wrote:

But he didn't stand pat.  We've lost Greening, Michalek, Cowen, Phillips (or at least his cap hit), Prince and, very likely, Wiercioch; and gained Phaneuf, Puempel, Paul, Dzingel.  Starting the year with a healthy CMac and Turris also huge.  No big difficult decision about Puempel and Prince.  Just let Puempel play on the fourth line and get some reps in.  Paul and White also means Smith can continue playing on the wing, now that he seems to have found some chemistry.

Now that he's addressed the D, he needs either a veteran C or a veteran winger.  You could roll with Drouin, but imo you need a vet up there.

That's my opinion, obviously   but you don't need to make a move on D now unless you're getting a veteran 3rd pairing guy, you need to focus on the forwards.

I cant think Of any Good C that might be available. Then again maybe that will change. Maybe a team trying to get younger and that hasn't faired well as of late. You wonder what it would take to get Jordan stall. A while back it was rumoured they might want to get from under such a long term deal. Definitely cost us Zib plus probably our first + ? That's if they want to move him. I see them more as a team that want to add roster guys rather than draft picks.
Edit: might not actually cost us our first. Could be seen as good for them just to younger. Jordan has a cup and a few good runs in experience. Could be nice.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispensed wrote:
wprager wrote:

Now that he's addressed the D, he needs either a veteran C or a veteran winger.  You could roll with Drouin, but imo you need a vet up there.

That's my opinion, obviously   but you don't need to make a move on D now unless you're getting a veteran 3rd pairing guy, you need to focus on the forwards.

A veteran coach (not named Therrien) would also work.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Flo The Action wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:
wprager wrote:

I cant think Of any Good C that might be available. Then again maybe that will change. Maybe a team trying to get younger and that hasn't faired well as of late. You wonder what it would take to get Jordan stall. A while back it was rumoured they might want to get from under such a long term deal. Definitely cost us Zib plus probably our first + ? That's if they want to move him. I see them more as a team that want to add roster guys rather than draft picks.
Edit: might not actually cost us our first. Could be seen as good for them just to younger. Jordan has a cup and a few good runs in experience. Could be nice.

I'm not at all convinced that Jordan Staal is an upgrade over Zibanejad. He made his money playing behind Crosby and Malkin. You think he faced *any* decent opposition before he moved to Caolina? His best season in Carolina is the current one, which is almost exactly what Zibanejad is doing right now (same number of points, a couple more goals). Zibanejad is five years younger and 5 (or 4?) years away from UFA status.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Yeah, that's a big "no thanks" to anyone with the last name "Staal".

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Flo The Action wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:
wprager wrote:

Nah. Not sure who'll be around, we might have to shake a few trees.

Duchene? Yes please

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Stamkos? I hear he plays center. But he also likes one timers from the left wing. We need a center and a left-winger. Pay him double to play both. Double shift him.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I don't see any reason for Stamkos signing with any Canadian team.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum