GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Lebreton Flats Redevelopment

+9
Flo The Action
LeCaptain
Oglethorpe
tim1_2
Hobiesens
wprager
Ev
SeawaySensFan
SensHulk
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 8]

61Lebreton Flats Redevelopment - Page 5 Empty Re: Lebreton Flats Redevelopment Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:57 am

Oglethorpe

Veteran
Veteran

My only concern about the Devcore proposal is that they say the Event Centre can be built anytime or not at all, which changes the look of their design. Aquarium would be sweet though.

62Lebreton Flats Redevelopment - Page 5 Empty Re: Lebreton Flats Redevelopment Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:28 am

Hoags

All-Star
All-Star

If history is any indication, Melnyk will lose as none of his past proposals have gotten off the ground.  Even more so if the other guys have connections.

I can't find any images of the Devcore bid, but Melnyk's proposal looks practical and realistic. I hope he wins, the Sens need to move downtown.

63Lebreton Flats Redevelopment - Page 5 Empty Re: Lebreton Flats Redevelopment Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:11 pm

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SeawaySensFan wrote:I'm guessing the price is around 1/2 a BILL US.

That would be my guess. The fact that the team is moving downtown really increases the value....

64Lebreton Flats Redevelopment - Page 5 Empty Re: Lebreton Flats Redevelopment Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:14 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:

That would be my guess.  The fact that the team is moving downtown really increases the value....

Make it 3/4 then. It's only money.

65Lebreton Flats Redevelopment - Page 5 Empty Re: Lebreton Flats Redevelopment Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:20 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoags wrote:If history is any indication, Melnyk will lose as none of his past proposals have gotten off the ground.  Even more so if the other guys have connections.

I can't find any images of the Devcore bid, but Melnyk's proposal looks practical and realistic.  I hope he wins, the Sens need to move downtown.

well the city isn't deciding this time.

anyways like I was saying the Sens will move there no matter what IMO

66Lebreton Flats Redevelopment - Page 5 Empty Re: Lebreton Flats Redevelopment Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:24 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:
Hoags wrote:If history is any indication, Melnyk will lose as none of his past proposals have gotten off the ground.  Even more so if the other guys have connections.

I can't find any images of the Devcore bid, but Melnyk's proposal looks practical and realistic.  I hope he wins, the Sens need to move downtown.

well the city isn't deciding this time.

anyways like I was saying the Sens will move there no matter what IMO

Yeah, it's a foregone conclusion that the Sens are moving. Which means it's Melnyk's bid that will be chosen, or he's selling the team to Devcore.

67Lebreton Flats Redevelopment - Page 5 Empty Re: Lebreton Flats Redevelopment Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:29 pm

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

SeawaySensFan wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

That would be my guess.  The fact that the team is moving downtown really increases the value....

yeah, gotta be more then 1/2B. it'll cost $175M just to clean up the site (haul away dirt)

68Lebreton Flats Redevelopment - Page 5 Empty Re: Lebreton Flats Redevelopment Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:33 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

TheAvatar wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

yeah, gotta be more then 1/2B.  it'll cost $175M  just to clean up the site (haul away dirt)

There's actually a range of estimates running from 50 to 300 for the clean up which is absurd even on the low end to haul away dirt, as you say.

69Lebreton Flats Redevelopment - Page 5 Empty Re: Lebreton Flats Redevelopment Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:40 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

TheAvatar wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

yeah, gotta be more then 1/2B.  it'll cost $175M  just to clean up the site (haul away dirt)

I thought we were talking about the value of the Sens..?

70Lebreton Flats Redevelopment - Page 5 Empty Re: Lebreton Flats Redevelopment Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:44 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Ev wrote:
wprager wrote:My brother in law is spending more and more of his free time on Maine where he has two houses. He is not pathetic, just busy nearing retirement.

Fair enough, that is excellent. Just saying if you complain about the commute from bear brook to ctc, you're just complaining for th sake of complaining. It's ten minutes tops.

"Beaverbrook" is the oldest part of Kanata. It was not the commute he was complaining about it's the commitment to 43 games a year. Between his kids (and their friends), his staff, me -- he probably gave away more than half of the tickets anyway. Apart from the cost, I personally just find it extremely difficult to find the time for even a handful of games per year. When the kids are all grown up I *may* consider a quarter-season type of deal. 10 games.

Anyhow, back on-point, if other current season ticket holders are in a similar situation (getting older, ready to retire, enjoying the game as much or more from the comfort of their couch) then the added extra drive will easily push them over the edge.

And that's OK, I'm sure Melnyk has already researched all of that. They will get new fans/supporters, but they will lose a big chunk of exiting ones. Do you really think that Barrhaven residents that didn't buy tickets before because of the drive will suddenly become season ticket holders? I think you will have more people buying occasional tickets but I don't know if you will suddenly get a lot of new season ticket holders.

And I absolutely guarantee that prices will be going up. Maybe not the first year, but very soon after that.

71Lebreton Flats Redevelopment - Page 5 Empty Re: Lebreton Flats Redevelopment Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:47 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:
TheAvatar wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

That's right.

72Lebreton Flats Redevelopment - Page 5 Empty Re: Lebreton Flats Redevelopment Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:49 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Walter, there's zero point in arguing that this will be anything but good for attendance and the fan base in general. Yeah, a bunch of Kanata/Stittsville season ticket holders will give up their tickets, but they'll be easily replaced and then some.

And of course prices will go up. This is a *good* thing for the team, but bad for us far-west-enders.

73Lebreton Flats Redevelopment - Page 5 Empty Re: Lebreton Flats Redevelopment Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:51 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Oglethorpe wrote:My only concern about the Devcore proposal is that they say the Event Centre can be built anytime or not at all, which changes the look of their design.  Aquarium would be sweet though.

Meh, every Pet Smart and a few Chinese restaurants have aquariums. Hell, there's even a cable channel. The sky diving thing is definitely cool but it can't handle volume.

74Lebreton Flats Redevelopment - Page 5 Empty Re: Lebreton Flats Redevelopment Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:52 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:Walter, there's zero point in arguing that this will be anything but good for attendance and the fan base in general.  Yeah, a bunch of Kanata/Stittsville season ticket holders will give up their tickets, but they'll be easily replaced and then some.

And of course prices will go up.  This is a *good* thing for the team, but bad for us far-west-enders.

It sucks that ticket prices will go up but the novelty of a new rink will sustain for a little while, anyway. Hopefully a winning product will sustain it even further.

75Lebreton Flats Redevelopment - Page 5 Empty Re: Lebreton Flats Redevelopment Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:54 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

TheAvatar wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

Well the NCC was claiming it would take $300M to clean it up, so whatever the price they want Melnyk has to ask them to drop it by $300M since they'll be doing the cleanup.

It's ridiculous to talk about "market value" when it's been an eyesore and an industrial dump for several decades, and when they finally opened it up to bids only two parties showed interest. That is the market right there. And the value should be zero, since they will reap millions in taxes and tourism.

76Lebreton Flats Redevelopment - Page 5 Empty Re: Lebreton Flats Redevelopment Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:17 pm

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

SeawaySensFan wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
TheAvatar wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

That's right.

Oh. My bad. I think Forbes evaluated the franchise at $380M. I'm thinking if someone was to offer old 'Gene $550-600M he'd fade into the sunset ... Smile

77Lebreton Flats Redevelopment - Page 5 Empty Re: Lebreton Flats Redevelopment Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:34 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
TheAvatar wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

Well the NCC was claiming it would take $300M to clean it up, so whatever the price they want Melnyk has to ask them to drop it by $300M since they'll be doing the cleanup.

It's ridiculous to talk about "market value" when it's been an eyesore and an industrial dump for several decades, and when they finally opened it up to bids only two parties showed interest.  That is the market right there.  And the value should be zero, since they will reap millions in taxes and tourism.
I think you have to look at the magnitude of the project. Not every entrepreneurial group can put together such bids. Also you have to realize that the arena is key to development and that drives away people.

Personally I would walk away from any investor group that involves guy laliberté. That guy is dodgy. His cirque du soleil empire has taken a major dive after 2008 and is very volatile to fluctuations in the economy. If this is a ploy to wrestle the hockey team away from Melnyk then I would be worried of the cash flows he'd want to invest in times of economic hardship.
Nope.

78Lebreton Flats Redevelopment - Page 5 Empty Re: Lebreton Flats Redevelopment Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:16 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

So the DevCorp group said that if they win the bid they are willing to discuss terms with the Senators about letting them build/own the arena.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum