GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+13
dennycrane
Cap'n Clutch
Flo The Action
Oglethorpe
tim1_2
spader
NEELY
SeawaySensFan
Ev
PTFlea
LeCaptain
wprager
SensHulk
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 42 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 18 of 67]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Is it time to give Frankie Claesson a game or two? Or has he fallen on hard times down in Bingo? I remember a year ago, maybe even two, how he was doing such a great job down there he was ready to push for a spot.

SensHulk

All-Star
All-Star

Issue is we also desperately need to trade a defenceman from our roster. Even if the 2nd was involved, makes no sense to acquire an extra dman.

Should ponder though, what would weircioch + prince + 2nd rounder get you? Cam fowler?

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Urkie wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:
wprager wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:Garrioch says it's a 2nd plus Puempel or Prince?  No thanks.  A 2nd is plenty

Without knowing what's on the other side of that equation, how can you say a 2nd is plenty?

I forgot to put Daley in there.  

I think Daley is pretty good but I do agree with being hesitant if he's the guy coming back. He's been a top 4 defensemen most of his career but he's struggling with Chicago. That's a worrisome sign to me because a good player would not struggle with that team.

Yeah, I wouldn't dream of paying a 2nd + Puempel/Prince for Daley.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Trevor Daley can skate well though, which is more and more important these days on the blueline.  I think we can all agree that something should be done about the D at this point, and Daley would be a logical move.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

tim1_2 wrote:Trevor Daley can skate well though, which is more and more important these days on the blueline.  I think we can all agree that something should be done about the D at this point, and Daley would be a logical move.

For Puempel + a 2nd? I mean...you might as well go all in and try to get someone younger and conceivably better. Daley's 32, he's signed for another year at 3.3 (real money 2.7) and his offense has dried up and he's not fantastic defensively. If the cost was a 2nd + 4th, then yeah, perhaps, but not Puempel/Prince IMO.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

The good news appears to be that Murray won't sit on his hands and watch this trainwreck of a defence. If he can add a guy like Hainsey for a 3rd or whatever, we're a better team immediately, not even close.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Urkie wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:
wprager wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:Garrioch says it's a 2nd plus Puempel or Prince?  No thanks.  A 2nd is plenty

Without knowing what's on the other side of that equation, how can you say a 2nd is plenty?

I forgot to put Daley in there.  

I think Daley is pretty good but I do agree with being hesitant if he's the guy coming back. He's been a top 4 defensemen most of his career but he's struggling with Chicago. That's a worrisome sign to me because a good player would not struggle with that team.
I would disagree. I would say Puempel has the much higher upside. Prince might be a top 6 player but most likely a 3rd line winger with some scoring potential.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispensed wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

Depends who the guy is coming back.  We could certainly trade away one of Puempel or Prince and not really miss a beat at this point.

That was for Daley I believe.  That's a lot IMO.  I'd wait if I were Murray
no Cussing way. thats way too steep a price. apparently the guy isn't playing well in chicago and they have a much better blueline than us. no no no, Diddle a bunch of daley.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispensed wrote:The good news appears to be that Murray won't sit on his hands and watch this trainwreck of a defence.  If he can add a guy like Hainsey for a 3rd or whatever, we're a better team immediately, not even close.

No actually, I think the most likely scenario is that...nothing happens anytime soon. He may be trying, but if asking prices are high, he's not going to do anything.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Flo The Action wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

Depends who the guy is coming back.  We could certainly trade away one of Puempel or Prince and not really miss a beat at this point.

no Cussing way. thats way too steep a price. apparently the guy isn't playing well in chicago and they have a much better blueline than us. no no no, Diddle a bunch of daley.

I'd do a 2nd straight up though. Daley can play in the top 4 and be a Diddle of a lot better than anything we can trot out now, plus he's got a year of term, so I'd be more comfortable with him than a pending UFA. But no more than a 2nd.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Michallica wrote:Issue is we also desperately need to trade a defenceman from our roster.  Even if the 2nd was involved, makes no sense to acquire an extra dman.  

Should ponder though, what would weircioch + prince + 2nd rounder get you?  Cam fowler?
I wish! but chances are it's more than that. probably have to switch that 2nd for a 1st. personally i would do that.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

tim1_2 wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:The good news appears to be that Murray won't sit on his hands and watch this trainwreck of a defence.  If he can add a guy like Hainsey for a 3rd or whatever, we're a better team immediately, not even close.

No actually, I think the most likely scenario is that...nothing happens anytime soon.  He may be trying, but if asking prices are high, he's not going to do anything.

True. I actually think he'll get someone, but you're right if the prices are too high he has to be patient. Hainsey is a guy that keeps coming to mind as someone who might be cheaper to acquire.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:

No actually, I think the most likely scenario is that...nothing happens anytime soon.  He may be trying, but if asking prices are high, he's not going to do anything.

Oh well. Maybe next year.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispensed wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

I'd do a 2nd straight up though.  Daley can play in the top 4 and be a Diddle of a lot better than anything we can trot out now, plus he's got a year of term, so I'd be more comfortable with him than a pending UFA.  But no more than a 2nd.
i dont care about being marginally better at that cost. i'd rather pay a higher price but get a better player. no way on Daley. lets go for something better and overpay if we have to: weir, prince and 1st rounder is on the table easy if we can get a ligit top 4 guy who's young and can be successful.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Flo The Action wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

I'd do a 2nd straight up though.  Daley can play in the top 4 and be a Diddle of a lot better than anything we can trot out now, plus he's got a year of term, so I'd be more comfortable with him than a pending UFA.  But no more than a 2nd.
i dont care about being marginally better at that cost. i'd rather pay a higher price but get a better player. no way on Daley. lets go for something better and overpay if we have to: weir, prince and 1st rounder is on the table easy if we can get a ligit top 4 guy who's young and can be successful.

No, I really don't think that's the price on a young, legitimate top 4 D-man. I don't think Wier has that much value in a package and I also don't know how much value Prince would have.

I think you'd be stunned to see the prices for a young D-man. Lazar + + I would guess.

Urkie

Urkie
Sophomore
Sophomore

Hainsey is decent but he's got some holes in his game. However, he's been around which is important.

Something I think we need is a veteran D that can come in and stabilize things. This D core is very young save Methot. Right now I feel like they're being thrown to the wolves and it's going to set some of the young guys back (Ceci, Cowen, etc.) and we've already sort of seen that. Defensemen take the longest to develop. There are exceptions (Karlsson for example) but even he took a couple years. You look at a guy like Chara. He took several years to develop. It takes time but at the same time our young D need some veteran help and guidance.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispensed wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

No, I really don't think that's the price on a young, legitimate top 4 D-man.  I don't think Wier has that much value in a package and I also don't know how much value Prince would have.

I think you'd be stunned to see the prices for a young D-man.  Lazar + + I would guess.

Lazar is a good start. Pretty sure you could replace what he brings while enjoying a shiny new Top - 4 d-man.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Lazar has been playing well lately. They need to try him with pageau and michalek.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 18 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 42 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum