GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Tell me which countertop you like

5 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Which counter do you like?

Tell me which countertop you like - Page 2 Vote_lcap220%Tell me which countertop you like - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 20% [ 1 ]
Tell me which countertop you like - Page 2 Vote_lcap20%Tell me which countertop you like - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
Tell me which countertop you like - Page 2 Vote_lcap220%Tell me which countertop you like - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 20% [ 1 ]
Tell me which countertop you like - Page 2 Vote_lcap260%Tell me which countertop you like - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 60% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 5

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

16Tell me which countertop you like - Page 2 Empty Re: Tell me which countertop you like Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:10 pm

DirtyDave

Rookie
Rookie

What is the material of each? With white cupboards you can pretty much go with any counter. I'd skip the black back splash. But that's just me. Is the wood floors already installed?

17Tell me which countertop you like - Page 2 Empty Re: Tell me which countertop you like Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:33 pm

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DirtyDave wrote:What is the material of each? With white cupboards you can pretty much go with any counter. I'd skip the black back splash. But that's just me. Is the wood floors already installed?

Counters are quarts and cabinets are high gloss.

Nothing installed yet, this is a brand new home I am picking the design elements for.

Wood floors are more similar to this http://milanohardwood.com/products/hickory-siena

I was pretty set on everything but the counters as the other options weren't great especially for cabinets and backsplash.

18Tell me which countertop you like - Page 2 Empty Re: Tell me which countertop you like Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:09 am

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Congrats on the house! #3 is my vote.

19Tell me which countertop you like - Page 2 Empty Re: Tell me which countertop you like Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:29 am

DirtyDave

Rookie
Rookie

1 or 3 for me. If they are all Quartz then #3 cause it's cheaper.

20Tell me which countertop you like - Page 2 Empty Re: Tell me which countertop you like Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:58 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Do you have an option for just getting laminate counters? Quartz is about 4 times the cost and laminate is pretty durable.

21Tell me which countertop you like - Page 2 Empty Re: Tell me which countertop you like Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:58 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:Do you have an option for just getting laminate counters?  Quartz is about 4 times the cost and laminate is pretty durable.  

No option, quartz is standard. I don't have to pay anything for #3, I just have to pay $1,250 more if I want the other two (even though they're the same material).

22Tell me which countertop you like - Page 2 Empty Re: Tell me which countertop you like Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:04 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Well, Diddle that noise, I'd go with #3 then.

23Tell me which countertop you like - Page 2 Empty Re: Tell me which countertop you like Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:18 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

thanks for your thoughts everyone. I hate making decisions.

24Tell me which countertop you like - Page 2 Empty Re: Tell me which countertop you like Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:25 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:thanks for your thoughts everyone. I hate making decisions.

Most people hate making decisions like this. Your problem is you're stuck making a decision that a woman/girlfriend/wife would normally make. I don't think I've ever picked a colour for anything in my house (other than the Sens basement I suppose).

It's also particularly hard because your place doesn't exist yet and you're just trying to visualize everything.

25Tell me which countertop you like - Page 2 Empty Re: Tell me which countertop you like Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:28 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:
Ev wrote:thanks for your thoughts everyone. I hate making decisions.

Most people hate making decisions like this.  Your problem is you're stuck making a decision that a woman/girlfriend/wife would normally make.  I don't think I've ever picked a colour for anything in my house (other than the Sens basement I suppose).  

It's also particularly hard because your place doesn't exist yet and you're just trying to visualize everything.  

Well I'd still pick things if I was living with a wife/gf, because I need to like it, too (and to make sure it is good for reselling purposes).

I think my choice here is clear: Hogberglar.

26Tell me which countertop you like - Page 2 Empty Re: Tell me which countertop you like Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:37 am

DirtyDave

Rookie
Rookie

tim1_2 wrote:Do you have an option for just getting laminate counters?  Quartz is about 4 times the cost and laminate is pretty durable.  

Do not do this. Unless you plan on leaving the house in under 7 years. Quarts is about double the cost. And worth it.

27Tell me which countertop you like - Page 2 Empty Re: Tell me which countertop you like Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:52 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DirtyDave wrote:

Do not do this. Unless you plan on leaving the house in under 7 years. Quarts is about double the cost. And worth it.

I'm not sure why laminate expires after 7 years, but mine has been in place for 22 years and is still in pretty good shape. I'm not going to debate the cost other than to say that Consumer Reports has it listed as about 4 times the cost. Obviously it depends on what kind of quartz or laminate as prices range widely in both categories.

I know that quartz is all the rage right now, but I find it's just one of those things that people get sold on as more of a status thing than a practical thing, like stainless steel appliances.

28Tell me which countertop you like - Page 2 Empty Re: Tell me which countertop you like Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:03 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:
DirtyDave wrote:

I'm not sure why laminate expires after 7 years, but mine has been in place for 22 years and is still in pretty good shape.  I'm not going to debate the cost other than to say that Consumer Reports has it listed as about 4 times the cost.  Obviously it depends on what kind of quartz or laminate as prices range widely in both categories.

I know that quartz is all the rage right now, but I find it's just one of those things that people get sold on as more of a status thing than a practical thing, like stainless steel appliances.  

I was gonna ask if you bought your house when you were 12, then I realized I'm dumb.

29Tell me which countertop you like - Page 2 Empty Re: Tell me which countertop you like Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:36 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
DirtyDave wrote:

I'm not sure why laminate expires after 7 years, but mine has been in place for 22 years and is still in pretty good shape.  I'm not going to debate the cost other than to say that Consumer Reports has it listed as about 4 times the cost.  Obviously it depends on what kind of quartz or laminate as prices range widely in both categories.

I was gonna ask if you bought your house when you were 12, then I realized I'm dumb.

I wish, then it would be paid off by now. If only my 12 years old self had forethought and money.

Going even further back, my parents' laminate countertop is even older than mine and still in good shape too.

30Tell me which countertop you like - Page 2 Empty Re: Tell me which countertop you like Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:52 pm

DirtyDave

Rookie
Rookie

tim1_2 wrote:
DirtyDave wrote:

Does not expire but I know of many where the glue for the laminate loses its stick and looks terrible. The joints can get water damage at all. Regardless if it's 4 times the price (unless we're talking over 10k) I wouldn't cheap out in a bathroom or kitchen.

31Tell me which countertop you like - Page 2 Empty Re: Tell me which countertop you like Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:03 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

i actually just got the full render of my kitchen with the dark counters. I think it looks good. Thoughts?

Tell me which countertop you like - Page 2 6

32Tell me which countertop you like - Page 2 Empty Re: Tell me which countertop you like Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:26 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Interestingly enough, our last new house we wanted to get granite counters in the kitchen. For the convenience of having them ready when we moved in we went with the builder to supply and install. On our final walk through we asked where the counter were and the (quick-thinking) rep immediately replied that they were delayed by the granite supplier but they should be there shortly. We were using the cardboard boxes from the large appliances as counters for a few weeks. When the granite finally arrived I had to sign their form. The order date on the form was the date of our walkthrough.

Moral of the story? None, but getting Home Depot to do the counters could have been done on the second day we moved in, and the cost (including removing the builder-supplied laminate counters) would have still been around 1/3 of what we paid for the "convenience".

Mind you, using cardboard boxes for counters has some advantages, too, like just lifting the corner to get to the cutlery, instead of having to pull out the drawer.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum