GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

NHL Expansion (team in Vegas a "done deal")

+8
SeawaySensFan
22_4_ever
Ev
tim1_2
spader
Flo The Action
shabbs
wprager
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 6]

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#ExpansionMadness

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Adding 4 teams seems crazy.

We go from barely any NHL expansion talk, with the NHL denying any plans consistently, to plans for 4 teams by 2017.

Feast or famine for the NHL.

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Expansion is natural, but it goes without saying the existing struggling teams should be relocated first.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Yeah, that's why I'm surprised. Fix the house before you expand. Makes me wonder how much they really are struggling.

22_4_ever

22_4_ever
Sophomore
Sophomore

Couple of things,

I believe the Bruckheimers (spelling??) are involved in the Vegas team. They have been pushing for years to get a team and have gone so far as to offer their services and skills in the movie and promotion departments to elevate the NHL brand.

Second with regards to the KHL, I doubt it's around in 5 years, at least not in the same manner you see now. 3 teams folded this past year and yes they added 3 more, but 2 of those I believe are from outside Russia. The model doesn't work as they only average slightly above 5 thousand and no real tv deal most if not all teams are hemorrhaging money. Their payrolls are too high for the revenue that they generate.

So if they expand by 2017 I expect the KHL will drop or at least as we know it now. I'd hazard a guess 1/2 the KHL teams will disappear and most of the big money players will move back to the NHL. Travel is horrible, unless you are on one of the big 4 or 5 teams, and even then it's not uncommon to have to cross I think 7 timezones to play games.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Well, here's some water on the fire:

Sportsnet ‏@Sportsnet

#NHL denies report that stated an expansion team in Las Vegas was a "done deal." http://ow.ly/AM8RJ

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

22_4_ever wrote:Couple of things,

I believe the Bruckheimers (spelling??) are involved in the Vegas team.  They have been pushing for years to get a team and have gone so far as to offer their services and skills in the movie and promotion departments to elevate the NHL brand.

Second with regards to the KHL, I doubt it's around in 5 years, at least not in the same manner you see now.  3 teams folded this past year and yes they added 3 more, but 2 of those I believe are from outside Russia.  The model doesn't work as they only average slightly above 5 thousand and no real tv deal most if not all teams are hemorrhaging money.  Their payrolls are too high for the revenue that they generate.

So if they expand by 2017 I expect the KHL will drop or at least as we know it now.  I'd hazard a guess 1/2 the KHL teams will disappear and most of the big money players will move back to the NHL.  Travel is horrible, unless you are on one of the big 4 or 5 teams, and even then it's not uncommon to have to cross I think 7 timezones to play games.

that's a good point, about the KHL players. At least we'll get decent players and not have to have a team full of AHL scrubs and Kassian

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Well, here's some water on the fire:

Sportsnet ‏@Sportsnet

#NHL denies report that stated an expansion team in Las Vegas was a "done deal." http://ow.ly/AM8RJ  

NHL denials = done deal.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SeawaySensFan wrote:
wprager wrote:Well, here's some water on the fire:

Sportsnet ‏@Sportsnet

NHL denials = done deal.
Book it.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

OK, back to the Vegas team names. So far we have:

The Gamblers
The Bookies (or Bookmakers)
The Odds
The Expansion Fees (Shabbs already has a logo in mind: $$$)

Any others?

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hangovers.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

The only way I would care about this is if it increases the Sens' chance for a Stanley Cup

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Looks like it's Seattle, Toronto (GTA), Quebec City, and Vegas. I wonder which ones Florida and Arizona become

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

The Vegas Gold Diggers.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

The Vegas Slot Machines.

shabbs

shabbs