GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

+20
Amnesia021
Number Twenty Nine
DirtyDave
sens4win
22_4_ever
DefenceWinsChampionships
stempniaksen
tim1_2
spader
wprager
Ev
SensHulk
Hoags
Riprock
NEELY
rooneypoo
sandysensfan
PTFlea
SeawaySensFan
shabbs
24 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 27 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 59 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 51 of 67]

Riprock wrote:Luongo speaks out and admits that Florida is the place he wants to go if he gets a choice.

He'll end up there I suspect. This is going to end badly for Vancouver methinks. I doubt they get much for him. Just the cap relief ought to be enough.

Just goes to show what cap relief is worth in this cap era.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

hemlock wrote:
Riprock wrote:Luongo speaks out and admits that Florida is the place he wants to go if he gets a choice.

He'll end up there I suspect. This is going to end badly for Vancouver methinks. I doubt they get much for him. Just the cap relief ought to be enough.

Just goes to show what cap relief is worth in this cap era.

Schneider has a $4M cap hit now. In three years he will be paid like a true #1 so that cap relief is only medium-term.

Or maybe they find out next year that he is more like Elliott -- plays great when he doesn't have to play 65+ games like a true #1, but not so great when he is overworked.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Florida could be a dangerous team for the next decade. Great prospects and a decent roster to boot.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Who was the last big name #1 goalie like Luongo arguably is to be traded, and what was the price?

Florida is a different team than it was the last time he was there. Maybe they should re-acquire Bouwmeester too Sarcasm Too bad they didn't sign Jokinen also.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Riprock wrote:Who was the last big name #1 goalie like Luongo arguably is to be traded, and what was the price?

Florida is a different team than it was the last time he was there. Maybe they should re-acquire Bouwmeester too Sarcasm Too bad they didn't sign Jokinen also.

Patrick Roy + Habs' Captain Mike Keane for Jocelyn Thibault, Martin Rucinsky, and Andrei Kovalenko. Colorado went on to win two Cups with Roy. Habs haven't recovered since then.

I doubt this happens with Luongo in Florida, and I also doubt that you could say the Canucks would be similarly fleeced. Luongo is good but has proven he is not great, especially in big games. His contract is way more than Roy could ever dream of making. Not really fair to compare the two situations.

But I can't remember another time when a goalie of that stature -- far from being over-the-hill -- was traded.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Luongo might be the last one to be traded. Auld, Bertuzzi Allen for Luongo, Krajiceck and a 6th round pick.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Oops, of course there was also Hasek to the Red Wings in 2001. He had a career best 41 wins and won the Cup, then announced his first retirement.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:Oops, of course there was also Hasek to the Red Wings in 2001. He had a career best 41 wins and won the Cup, then announced his first retirement.

June 30, 2001 – Traded to Detroit for Vyacheslav Kozlov, a first round pick in 2002 (Daniel Paille) and future considerations

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

A few others:

Giguere: Traded to the Toronto Maple Leafs in exchange for Vesa Toskala and Jason Blake.

And here's what the Sharks got for Toskala:

On June 22, 2007 NHL Entry Draft weekend, Sharks Doug Wilson traded Toskala and forward Mark Bell to the Toronto Maple Leafs in exchange for the club's 2007 1st (13th overall, Lars Eller) and 2nd round draft picks, both of which were later traded to the St. Louis Blues, as well as Toronto's 4th round pick in 2009, which was eventually traded to the Nashville Predators.

* So in hindsight, the Leafs traded:

Lars Eller, Aaron Palushaj and Craig Smith for Mark Bell and Toskala.

** Then the Sharks traded up with St. Louis, drafting Couture, and the Blues drafted Eller and Palushaj.

22_4_ever

22_4_ever
Sophomore
Sophomore

Riprock wrote:A few others:

Giguere: Traded to the Toronto Maple Leafs in exchange for Vesa Toskala and Jason Blake.

On June 22, 2007 NHL Entry Draft weekend, Sharks Doug Wilson traded Toskala and forward Mark Bell to the Toronto Maple Leafs in exchange for the club's 2007 1st (13th overall, Lars Eller) and 2nd round draft picks, both of which were later traded to the St. Louis Blues, as well as Toronto's 4th round pick in 2009, which was eventually traded to the Nashville Predators.

** Then the Sharks traded up with St. Louis, drafting Couture, and the Blues drafted Eller and Palushaj.

None of those guys, were big time goalies when they were traded. Hasek and Toskala turned into Top Tier goalies after they were traded (Especially Hasek), and Giguere was over the hill when he was traded to Toronto. The last Goalie who was a true #1 when he was traded (and a top started at that), was Patrick Roy. Someone already mentioned him, but before or after him I don't recall.

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

22_4_ever wrote:

None of those guys, were big time goalies when they were traded. Hasek and Toskala turned into Top Tier goalies after they were traded (Especially Hasek), and Giguere was over the hill when he was traded to Toronto. The last Goalie who was a true #1 when he was traded (and a top started at that), was Patrick Roy. Someone already mentioned him, but before or after him I don't recall.

False. Roberto Luongo was a top goalie when he was traded to Vancouver, and that's just off the top of my head.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

22_4_ever wrote:

Thomas Vokoun.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

22_4_ever wrote:

If you mean the trade from Chicago to the Sabres then, yes. But when he got traded from Buffalo to Detroit he was still in his prime and once of the best goalies in the league. He went on to post his best numbers with 41 wins en route to winning the Cup.

I agree that Giguere was -- maybe not over the hill, but certainly something happened (was he injured?)

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

rooneypoo wrote:
Thomas Vokoun.

Ah, yes.

On the day of the 2007 NHL Entry Draft, Vokoun was traded to the Florida Panthers in exchange for a first-round selection in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, a second-round selection in the 2007 draft (no. 58) and a conditional second-round selection in either 2007 or 2008.

1st round pick in 2008 (Colin Wilson)
2nd round pick in 2007 (Nick Spaling)
2nd round pick in 2008 (Aaron Ness)

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Anderson for Elliott

Halak to St. Louis

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Big Ev wrote:Anderson for Elliott

Halak to St. Louis

We're talking about the a top goalie being traded. Neither one of these two were in that class. Maybe now you could make an argument for Anderson being in the came class as Luongo (I wouldn't put Elliott there until he has played 65+ games in a season and put up comparable numbers), but at the time of the trade neither one was anywhere near that.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Robinson just signed with San Jose as an associate coach. Are you telling me he couldn't have been persuaded to go to to Montreal a few weeks ago? Opportunity missed, IMO.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

R.I.P. Ernie Borgnine.

If John Wayne were alive, he'd be rolling over in his grave.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 51 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 27 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 59 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum