GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Game Day - Ottawa @ Washington, 7:00PM, Saturday, October 15, 2011

+18
Vandelay
LeCaptain
Hockeyhero22000
The Silfer Server
sens4win
garblar
Hoags
SensHulk
sandysensfan
Ev
PTFlea
shabbs
NEELY
Flo The Action
spader
cash
wprager
Riprock
22 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 7]

NEELY

Mod
Mod

SpezDispenser wrote:Cowen's another guy I thought had a much better game. Not quite in pre-season form yet (?), but a lot more solid.

I find he's completely stopped taking any offensive chances though.
[b]

Gotta stop saying that. Pre-season is not NHL hockey.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Dash wrote:
NEELY wrote:
Dash wrote:Remember, Phillips is the guy that said in an interview he openly challenges players coming into the team to take his spot. I don't think he has earned his spot, so why is a guy with that attitude still playing? (Not that he is 100% the problem, but still)

And Gonchar = Kovalev on Defence.

Well that's all that matters.

Funny, I didn't know your opinion was the only one that mattered.

It's not but to suggest Phillips hasn;t "earned" his spot is BS. Who deserves to be in over him? Didn't know the fans opinion matters on who the coach feels does or doesn't deserve a spot.

you see what? Phillips on the ice for an hour each week? The coach sees him on the ice for 7-10 hours each week and off the ice for abotu the same amount of time. Funny how you can pass judgement based on that eh. Good to know.

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

Well then the same goes for you and your constant negative criticisms and judgment of Spezza.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Dash wrote:Well then the same goes for you and your constant negative criticisms and judgment of Spezza.

What are my judgements on Spezza? I have never said he should be scratched, doesn't deserve to play, or w/e else. I said he needs to be better, he needs to make other players around him better, and he needs to stay healthy. If he can't do those things then obviously they need to figure out where they are at with him. Also, they need to figure out if he is the next captain in Ottawa after Alfi, because if he isn't, that's going to be a slap in the face to him and he will eventually move on or ask for a trade.

I have always maintained he is Ottawa's number 1 center and they are better off with him than without him at this point. I state what Spezza needs to do to be better or to be considered elite, you state Phillips hasn't earned his spot, big difference.

Vandelay

Vandelay
Sophomore
Sophomore

La Femme wrote:I don't think the defense got better or worse, the difference between today and thursday is just that Colorado skates faster and forechecks harder than Washington.
We had a lot of time setting up the transition from the back end I find.

I do agree with this statement....that said, I also thought the young guys did a great job with the extra ice time. Again, I think a lot of credit has to be given to Phillips. It goes unnoticed but he does a lot to stabilize the back end. Karlsson also had a heck of a game. Like you said, the caps sat back after getting the lead, unlike the avs but I do think all of our defensemen skated very well. If the development continues like this, our transition is going to be full speed by mid-season. It's gonna be close for Rundblad- whether he sticks around or not by game 9....although, I think he stays.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Vandelay wrote:
La Femme wrote:I don't think the defense got better or worse, the difference between today and thursday is just that Colorado skates faster and forechecks harder than Washington.

I do agree with this statement....that said, I also thought the young guys did a great job with the extra ice time. Again, I think a lot of credit has to be given to Phillips. It goes unnoticed but he does a lot to stabilize the back end. Karlsson also had a heck of a game. Like you said, the caps sat back after getting the lead, unlike the avs but I do think all of our defensemen skated very well. If the development continues like this, our transition is going to be full speed by mid-season. It's gonna be close for Rundblad- whether he sticks around or not by game 9....although, I think he stays.

There is no 9 game limit for Rundblad. Has nothing to do with him, he's a professional hockey player, he has no ties to Sweden or juniors.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Phillips has been extremely solid the past couple of games. You are right when you say how much goes un-noticed by a lot of people. In the Minnisota game especially he was directing traffic for Rundblad and really helping him out without the puck and in his own zone. It's not easy for a D man who has played a certain way for years and been successful to have to adjust to playing with guys that really don't know what the right and wrong decsion is.

Kuba has also been pretty good for the most part and he will get a 4th or 5th rounder back at the deadline again. Maybe Konopka gets a 7th, same with Winchester. Carkner probably gets a 4th or 5th at some point as well.

Vandelay

Vandelay
Sophomore
Sophomore

Big Ev wrote:
Vandelay wrote:

There is no 9 game limit for Rundblad. Has nothing to do with him, he's a professional hockey player, he has no ties to Sweden or juniors.

Right...thanks for that. Either way, point being that I think the argument can be made for both sides. I look at a game like yesterday, where, as Neely pointed out, he's playing with Phillips who's done a great job of calming him down and because of that, he seemed to take a few steps forward from the few steps back he seemed to make in the first few games.

One characteristic that is clearly evident in a guy like Rundblad and Da Costa that I have yet to see in Zibby and also didn't see in Filatov is that ability to settle down, not over-think the game and just play it. We know it's not going to be the case, but if Phillips can continue to guide Rundblad along, playing together from game to game, this kid is gonna be something special by next season. There will, of course, be hurdles and big steps back along the way, but our defensive game yesterday was very encouraging.
He's also not the same player as Karlsson which is good. They're both very offensive minded, of course, but you can see that Rundblad has a lot more confidence to step up and throw a hit...nothing huge yet, but he just missed someone yesterday- would have been an open ice beauty...something that Karlsson isn't going to do, for obvious reasons.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I missed the third yesyerday, how was it?
I liked the how we played in the second. anything similar?

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Sens dominated most of that game but just so inconsistant at the wrong times. Young team.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:Sens dominated most of that game but just so inconsistant at the wrong times. Young team.

For the record, tho', they were the better team, and probably deserved to get at least a point out of it.

Why they first goal was called back -- when Michalek was shoved into Vokoun by the Caps' Dman -- is way beyond me. Not to complain, but it was one of the most bizarrely officiated games I've seen in a while, as a matter of fact.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

rooneypoo wrote:
NEELY wrote:Sens dominated most of that game but just so inconsistant at the wrong times. Young team.

For the record, tho', they were the better team, and probably deserved to get at least a point out of it.

Why they first goal was called back -- when Michalek was shoved into Vokoun by the Caps' Dman -- is way beyond me. Not to complain, but it was one of the most bizarrely officiated games I've seen in a while, as a matter of fact.

Not bizarre at all. Check pretty much every refs birth certificate and/or driver's license: Downsview, Mississauga, North York, Don Mills... FACT!!!

StickmanDancing

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

That's some very interesting and fresh new info I never knew about. Sarcasm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Cap'n Clutch wrote:That's some very interesting and fresh new info I never knew about. Sarcasm

Next time one of the refs or linesmen bends over to pick up a puck, take a quick look and you might be able to see their Maple Leafs undies showing.

It's true, because you just read it on the Internet.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Just thought I'd throw some of my random thoughts into the mix.

Smith and Condra were great, especially on the PK. These guys need to be in the lineup every night. I thought Condra especially stood out. Really solid.

Konopka had a good game. He was noticeable, won some draws, and just played well. He was also strong on the forecheck.

Spezza had a bounce-back game. He looked good out there.

If we play like that every game, we'll be just fine.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Konopka was actually the only Sen under .500 on faceoffs. Weird, huh.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Konopka was actually the only Sen under .500 on faceoffs. Weird, huh.

Meh...I didn't bother to look up the stats, but I remember him winning a couple important draws in our end on the PK.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:That's some very interesting and fresh new info I never knew about. Sarcasm

Next time one of the refs or linesmen bends over to pick up a puck, take a quick look and you might be able to see their Maple Leafs undies showing.

It's true, because you just read it on the Internet.

It's not true because you said "might."

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum