GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Entire KHL team Lokomotiv Yaroslavl killed in plane crash

+13
Ev
SensHulk
tim1_2
spader
The Silfer Server
rooneypoo
PTFlea
SensGirl11
NEELY
SeawaySensFan
shabbs
wprager
Riprock
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 6]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Big Ev wrote:can you imagine if this happened to the Sens plane? What the hell would we do?

Are we talking the entire organization, or just the NHL players? If it's just the NHL players, the guys from Bingo would have to step into big roles, plus Murray would have to sign a glut of remaining UFAs like Stillman, Nylander, Samsonov, Dumont (who I think Murray might sign anyway) etc. etc. etc.

As Tim mentioned, with the amount of travel teams do, this was unfortunately bound to happen at some point. Such a sad day...

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:Galimov (one of the survivors) has burns on 80% of his body and is not expected to survive.

Some reports are saying the plane was carrying more than its allowed weight. It failed to reach require altitude on takeoff and hit a communication tower.

My heart goes out to Galimov, it really does. He's got to be in horrendous pain right now. Sad

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SlavaMalamud Slava Malamud
by steffeG
Legendary coach Viktor Tikhonov suggests every KHL team send at least one player to Lokomotiv to salvage the team's season.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
Big Ev wrote:can you imagine if this happened to the Sens plane? What the hell would we do?

Are we talking the entire organization, or just the NHL players? If it's just the NHL players, the guys from Bingo would have to step into big roles, plus Murray would have to sign a glut of remaining UFAs like Stillman, Nylander, Samsonov, Dumont (who I think Murray might sign anyway) etc. etc. etc.

As Tim mentioned, with the amount of travel teams do, this was unfortunately bound to happen at some point. Such a sad day...

I don't know if it will be that easy....my guess is that the team cancels the season but the league may carry on. At such short notice I just don't think a team will be able to operate.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:

I meant the fans. I wouldn't want them to just put in random players, I don't think I'd watch.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Big Ev wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

I meant the fans. I wouldn't want them to just put in random players, I don't think I'd watch.

I'd be crushed, shed LOTS of tears, and probably quit watching hockey for a looong time. WHy watch when my team is wiped out? No sense, I wouldn't be able to do it.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Michallica wrote:
I don't know if it will be that easy....my guess is that the team cancels the season but the league may carry on. At such short notice I just don't think a team will be able to operate.

I'd be destroyed as a huge fan, just obliterated, but...the show would go on. They'd sign UFAs and keep the season going, they wouldn't cancel the season IMO.

I dunno...who knows I guess. It's hard to even think about because I'm such a fan of these guys.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

From Garrioch:

Former Senators defenceman Brendan Bell, who started last year in the KHL, said travel in Russia is a lot different than North America.

"This is scary and hard to grasp," said Bell. "I didn't have any personal friends on that team but this has really shaken me up. I don't know if the way that they travel is up to our standards, but it's certainly not unsafe.

"I'm sure it's just one of those things that could happen anywhere. You see the way teams travel over there and you know it could have been you. You don't think of it when you get on a private jet here and you're travelling in style."

Senators defenceman Sergei Gonchar was at a loss for words.

"I knew a few guys on that team. I'm speechless," said Gonchar.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Good thing Air Canada is going to start charging $25 for the first suitcase checked. I suspect people *will* start packing less. Those max weight allowances should be more strictly controlled, obviously.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Galimov has passed away.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

http://www.metronews.ca/edmonton/sports/article/241904--nhl-bylaws-cover-worst-case-scenarios

It’s horrible to consider — a plane crash wipes out an entire NHL team — but the league has thought about it nonetheless.

That’s why the league requires teams to have a $1-million (all figures US) insurance policy on each player, one of the provisos in the NHL bylaws made public over the weekend in court filings regarding the bankruptcy of the Phoenix Coyotes.

If a team is left with fewer than 14 players and one goaltender following some sort of catastrophe, the league sets in motion its Emergency Rehabilitation Plan.

First, the “disabled team” would be allowed to negotiate to buy players under contract from other teams, with payment coming from the insurance money.

If that didn’t fill out the roster, a draft would be held, much like an expansion draft. Teams could protect 10 players and one goalie.

The disabled team would be allowed to take no more than one player from each of the other teams. The price for each player is $1 million in insurance money.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

http://en.khl.ru/news/2011/9/7/24152.html

Yaroslavl plane tragedy

Russian hockey has been stunned by news of a plane crash which has killed almost all of Lokomotiv Yaroslavl’s team as they travelled to Belarus for their opening fixture of the KHL season.

A club spokesman confirmed that the aircraft was carrying the club’s players to their game with Dinamo Minsk, which was due to be played on Thursday.

Among those on board was newly-appointed head coach Brad McKrimmon, recently arrived from Chicago Black Hawks to take charge of the team for the 2011-12 season. Two members of the World Championship-winning Czech team of 2010, Jan Marek and Josef Vasicek, were also among those in the crash.

The team’s Yak-42 crashed on take-off from Yaroslavl’s Tunoshna airport shortly after 4 pm Moscow time. There were just two survivors among the 45 passengers and crew on board, including player Alexander Galimov and Alexander Sizov, a member of the flight crew. Earlier reports had said that 36 of the 37 passengers had died.

Preliminary information from Rosaviatsiya suggests that the plane failed to gain height after leaving the runway and collided with a navigation beacon before coming to earth about 2 km from the airport.

Shocked silence
As news filtered through to Ufa, where the league was celebrating the start of the new season with the traditional rematch of last season’s grand final, the game was abandoned.

KHL president Alexander Medvedev interrupted play 15 minutes into the first period to announce the tragedy to a packed arena, which responded in shocked silence.

After a brief meeting between the players and officials of hosts Salavat Yulaev, guests Atlant Moscow Region and representatives of the KHL, the game was postponed.

That decision was greeted with respectful applause from the crowd, while Medvedev went on to pledge his support for the Yarolslavl club.

“We will do all that we can to ensure that top level hockey continues in Yaroslavl and that Lokomotiv remains one of the strongest clubs in the Kontinental Hockey League,” he said.

Condolences
The tragedy brought sympathy and support from Russian President Dmitry Medvedev, who is heading to Yaroslavl for an annual political forum.

His press secretary, Natalya Timakova, announced that the forum’s program would change and Medvedev would begin by visiting the scene of the disaster and holding an emergency meeting with senior transport officials.

Meanwhile, Prime Minister Vladimir Putin ordered Russia’s transport minister, Igor Levitin, to go straight to the crash site.

International Ice Hockey Federation president Rene Fasel said it was "the darkest day in the history of our sport".

“Despite the substantial air travel of professional hockey teams, our sport has been spared from tragic traffic accidents,” Fasel added. “But only until now. This is the darkest day in the history of our sport. This is not only a Russian tragedy, the Lokomotiv roster included players and coaches from ten nations.”

Fasel will arrive in Russia on Thursday in a pre-arranged visit, and told IIHF.com he would take the opportunity to mourn with the Russian hockey authorities.

The Russian Hockey Federation also published a message of sympathy on its website: “The FHR expresses its deepest condolences to the bereaved families and relatives, fans and the entire hockey community”.

Lokomotiv had been traveling to Minsk for its opening fixture against Dinamo, due to be played on Thursday evening.

A decision on whether to play Thursday’s other hockey games has not yet been taken.

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

wprager wrote:Galimov (one of the survivors) has burns on 80% of his body and is not expected to survive.

Some reports are saying the plane was carrying more than its allowed weight. It failed to reach require altitude on takeoff and hit a communication tower.

They are saying it is a criminal investigation into the crash. How could they be so careless?

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

I have to say, this has been a fear of mine for a very very long time, the fact that it has happened is so scary.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I've never flown....now I'll be thinking of this.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

They posted the list of confirmed dead:
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sovsport.ru%2Fnews%2Ftext-item%2F479312&anno=2

Salei's name is not on there, but they are still looking for six bodies. One of the players' names is Alexei Zimin -- that's my paternal grandmother's maiden name. Not really a common name in Russia, so could be a distant relative.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Salei's name has been added, but the passenger list is still 35 (two names missing -- one of them is Galimov, who is still listed as a survivor, but I'm pretty sure it had been confirmed that he passed away).

22_4_ever

22_4_ever
Sophomore
Sophomore

Big Ev wrote:I've never flown....now I'll be thinking of this.

I hate flying, my problem isn't flying it's the take offs and landings...I have a dreadful fear. Unfortunately I have to for my job, however my workplace (and may others) have a policy against a certain number of employees from a department flying together. It's morbid but it's for this reason. I have 8 colleagues in my group that can do what I do globally. I'm not allowed to fly with more than 1 other person from my 8 person team. Which means for conferences when we all have to go, we end up having to take 4 separate sets of flights.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum