GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

+27
ddt
garblar
cash
Hobiesens
asq2
stempniaksen
SensGirl11
dennycrane
Flo The Action
The Silfer Server
22_4_ever
LeCaptain
NEELY
SensHulk
Hayden
TheAvatar
tim1_2
sandysensfan
Riprock
rooneypoo
spader
Hoags
wprager
shabbs
PTFlea
SeawaySensFan
Ev
31 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 35 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 67]

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

Richards? In Detroit? For $5.5M? It's been said he could get $7-8M easily.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Dash wrote:Richards? In Detroit? For $5.5M? It's been said he could get $7-8M easily.

Yeah he can get 7, I guess it depends on what he wants to do. If he signs a 6 year contract, that's a lot of money he'd leave on the table - unless it's a Canadian city where that extra is eaten up in tax I believe. So he can go to the Rangers for 7 or to Detroit for 6, does he take the extra money and the great city or does he take the less amount to be on what would be a tremendous opportunity to compete for the Cup for a long time?

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:
Dash wrote:Richards? In Detroit? For $5.5M? It's been said he could get $7-8M easily.

Yeah he can get 7, I guess it depends on what he wants to do. If he signs a 6 year contract, that's a lot of money he'd leave on the table - unless it's a Canadian city where that extra is eaten up in tax I believe. So he can go to the Rangers for 7 or to Detroit for 6, does he take the extra money and the great city or does he take the less amount to be on what would be a tremendous opportunity to compete for the Cup for a long time?

The problem with Detroit is that they have some holes in their lineup that need filling, besides a 2nd line C. Rafalski is gone, and Lidstrom will retire or come back...coming back would likely cost Detroit $5-$6M. If he retires, Detroit has big gaping holes on their blue-line that need filling (they only have 3 D on contract for next year). Kronwall becomes a FA after next year, and will get a raise over his $3M.

The good news for DET is that their top forwards are all already signed through next year. They need to sign about 8 guys for next year, with projected cap space at $18.5M. That equals about $2.3M per player. If you figure that their Rafalski/Lidstrom replacements will eat up, let's say, $8M, that leaves $10.5M for 6 guys, or $1.75M per player. That doesn't leave a lot of room for a Richards signing at $5-6Mish.

I don't think Detroit is prepared to make that kind of splash.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

The end is near for Detroit.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Toronto makes more sense than Detroit for a Richards-landing spot. Toronto NEEDS a first line C, and should be willing to pay big dollars. Their cap picture for next year:

They have 14 players under contract, with about $21M in projected cap space. They'll need to bring in/sign roughly 8 players, equalling about $2.6M per player.

At forward, they are pretty set (other than a lack of talent). Bozak (RFA) and MacArthur (UFA) need new contracts. MacArthur had a great year, and could command a huge raise over the $1.1M he made this past season.

On D, Schenn and Gunnarsson (RFAs) need new contracts. I dunno what Schenn will get...maybe $3M or $3.5M?

In goal, Giguere becomes a FA, and Reimer is an RFA. Gustavsson remains, making $1.35M. Assuming they resign Reimer (probably $1.5Mish?), and keep Gustavsson, their goaltending will be among the cheaper tandems in the league.

Anyway, if Toronto signs Richards to a $7M/year contract, that leaves about $14M for 7 players, or $2M per player. Given that Schenn should get at least $3M, then we're talking $11M for 6 players, or just under $2M per player. This doesn't leave a lot of room for signing legit talent, and will likely leave the Leafs with plugs to fill in their roster...not to mention that they could lose MacArthur, as he might've played his way out of their price range.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

tim1_2 wrote:
The problem with Detroit is that they have some holes in their lineup that need filling, besides a 2nd line C. Rafalski is gone, and Lidstrom will retire or come back...coming back would likely cost Detroit $5-$6M. If he retires, Detroit has big gaping holes on their blue-line that need filling (they only have 3 D on contract for next year). Kronwall becomes a FA after next year, and will get a raise over his $3M.

The good news for DET is that their top forwards are all already signed through next year. They need to sign about 8 guys for next year, with projected cap space at $18.5M. That equals about $2.3M per player. If you figure that their Rafalski/Lidstrom replacements will eat up, let's say, $8M, that leaves $10.5M for 6 guys, or $1.75M per player. That doesn't leave a lot of room for a Richards signing at $5-6Mish.

Yeah, Lidstrom is gonna hurt them when he goes. Rafalski can be replaced though IMO, Ehrhoff, Pitkanen or even just promote Kronwall and bring up someone internally.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

McGuire seems to think Richards is most likely to go to the Rangers.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:McGuire seems to think Richards is most likely to go to the Rangers.

Indeed.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

Yeah, Lidstrom is gonna hurt them when he goes. Rafalski can be replaced though IMO, Ehrhoff, Pitkanen or even just promote Kronwall and bring up someone internally.

I remember watching a Detroit-Ottawa game and the announcers kept talking about Kronwall being groomed to take Lidstrom's spot. Not sure how effective he'd be, but they sure seemed to think that he was the pending internal replacement.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Then who replaces Kronwall????

Vertigo

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

tim1_2 wrote:Then who replaces Kronwall????

Vertigo

Brendan Smith IMO:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/brendan_smith

Is he Lidstrom? No, but he's gonna be f-ing awesome. Plus, Lidstrom will likely stick around for another year IMO, so the Wings can start thinking about a big trade for a number one D-man at some point to try to offset his loss.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

THEN WHO REPLACES BRENDAN SMITH???!!!!

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:THEN WHO REPLACES BRENDAN SMITH???!!!!

Don't worry. Pierre McGuire seems to think that Detroit has endless depth and that Grand Rapids are basically an NHL team playing in the AHL. Your beloved Wings will be fine.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=113834

The Flyers have lost Joacim Eriksson's rights by not signing him by the deadline.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=113834

The Flyers have lost Joacim Eriksson's rights by not signing him by the deadline.

Meh. They're set in goal as it is.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:

Yep, pretty much.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

Yep, pretty much.

Uh...really? Bobrovsky and Leighton?

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

spader wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

Yep, pretty much.

Uh...really? Bobrovsky and Leighton?

Precisely.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 35 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum