GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

REPORT: ATLANTA TO WINNEPEG COMPLETE

+16
TheAvatar
tim1_2
Flo The Action
22_4_ever
SensHulk
sandysensfan
dennycrane
SeawaySensFan
shabbs
wprager
Oglethorpe
Riprock
Tuk Tuk
Ev
spader
PTFlea
20 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

Go down  Message [Page 12 of 12]

166REPORT: ATLANTA TO WINNEPEG COMPLETE - Page 12 Empty Re: REPORT: ATLANTA TO WINNEPEG COMPLETE Tue May 31, 2011 2:41 pm

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Manitoba Bison?

The Buff is the stuff...

167REPORT: ATLANTA TO WINNEPEG COMPLETE - Page 12 Empty Re: REPORT: ATLANTA TO WINNEPEG COMPLETE Tue May 31, 2011 2:46 pm

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:It would make sense for them to try to make a playoff run this year. It would really help to re-establish the fan base quickly. This assumes that True North is willing to spend some dough above the cap floor.

I was watching Sportsnet over lunch (1pm-ish), and they had an interview with the president of the True North corporation, which purchased the Thrashers and moved them to Winnipeg. He said in no uncertain terms that, in the early years, the team would not spend to the cap, and would build the team the right way (i.e., through the draft and development).

168REPORT: ATLANTA TO WINNEPEG COMPLETE - Page 12 Empty Re: REPORT: ATLANTA TO WINNEPEG COMPLETE Tue May 31, 2011 2:50 pm

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I think owners are obliged to use the old "we're going to do it the right way" line, as it provides an instant excuse for on-ice failures and an instant excuse for not spending money.

I still wouldn't be surprised to see them be agressive this off-season.

169REPORT: ATLANTA TO WINNEPEG COMPLETE - Page 12 Empty Re: REPORT: ATLANTA TO WINNEPEG COMPLETE Tue May 31, 2011 2:50 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

rooneypoo wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:It would make sense for them to try to make a playoff run this year. It would really help to re-establish the fan base quickly. This assumes that True North is willing to spend some dough above the cap floor.

I was watching Sportsnet over lunch (1pm-ish), and they had an interview with the president of the True North corporation, which purchased the Thrashers and moved them to Winnipeg. He said in no uncertain terms that, in the early years, the team would not spend to the cap, and would build the team the right way (i.e., through the draft and development).

Well with Byfuglien, Stewart, Kane, and Oduya they certainly won't be building the white way.

Hi-ooooo.

Panger FTW.

170REPORT: ATLANTA TO WINNEPEG COMPLETE - Page 12 Empty Re: REPORT: ATLANTA TO WINNEPEG COMPLETE Tue May 31, 2011 2:55 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Big Ev wrote:Well with Byfuglien, Stewart, Kane, and Oduya they certainly won't be building the white way.

Hi-ooooo.

Panger FTW.

Laughing3 Cussing Panger. He'll never live that one down.

171REPORT: ATLANTA TO WINNEPEG COMPLETE - Page 12 Empty Re: REPORT: ATLANTA TO WINNEPEG COMPLETE Tue May 31, 2011 3:00 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Manitoba Jets.

New name and new jerseys to sell ($$$)

They're still called the Jets (which everyone will call them anyway).

172REPORT: ATLANTA TO WINNEPEG COMPLETE - Page 12 Empty Re: REPORT: ATLANTA TO WINNEPEG COMPLETE Tue May 31, 2011 3:01 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Winnipeg Poohs.

173REPORT: ATLANTA TO WINNEPEG COMPLETE - Page 12 Empty Re: REPORT: ATLANTA TO WINNEPEG COMPLETE Tue May 31, 2011 3:27 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

rooneypoo wrote:

There's no reason they can't do both... build through the draft and spend early on to help things along...

174REPORT: ATLANTA TO WINNEPEG COMPLETE - Page 12 Empty Re: REPORT: ATLANTA TO WINNEPEG COMPLETE Tue May 31, 2011 4:04 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

There's no reason they can't do both... build through the draft and spend early on to help things along...

Again, the Sportsnet guys asked him this question, and he said explicitly that they would NOT be spending to the cap. Reading between the lines, I actually got the impression that they are going to shed salary, not add more through the FA period or trade.

175REPORT: ATLANTA TO WINNEPEG COMPLETE - Page 12 Empty Re: REPORT: ATLANTA TO WINNEPEG COMPLETE Tue May 31, 2011 4:15 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Yeah, they say that now... we'll see how it all goes down.

Wink

176REPORT: ATLANTA TO WINNEPEG COMPLETE - Page 12 Empty Re: REPORT: ATLANTA TO WINNEPEG COMPLETE Tue May 31, 2011 4:25 pm

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

Salary floor is 46 million. That's a lot of wheat to sell.

177REPORT: ATLANTA TO WINNEPEG COMPLETE - Page 12 Empty Re: REPORT: ATLANTA TO WINNEPEG COMPLETE Tue May 31, 2011 4:25 pm

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

They already have a good base of young players.

Building through the draft is their best way. But they also inherit all of the prospects -- I guess that means the Chicago Wolves are now the farm team of the Winnipeg ????.

178REPORT: ATLANTA TO WINNEPEG COMPLETE - Page 12 Empty Re: REPORT: ATLANTA TO WINNEPEG COMPLETE Tue May 31, 2011 4:37 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

sandysensfan wrote:They already have a good base of young players.

Building through the draft is their best way. But they also inherit all of the prospects -- I guess that means the Chicago Wolves are now the farm team of the Winnipeg ????.

I can't find info on the Wolves but the Moose are expected to move to the Rock:

http://www.thetelegram.com/Sports/2011-05-24/article-2529832/AHL-return-waiting-on-first-%26rsquo%3BPeg/1

This should force some re-alignment in the AHL since I can't see a Newfoundland team playing in the Western Conference.

179REPORT: ATLANTA TO WINNEPEG COMPLETE - Page 12 Empty Re: REPORT: ATLANTA TO WINNEPEG COMPLETE Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:20 am

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wadell saying he's not going to winnipeg.
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=367495
that should hurt a bit. I guess he'll move on after the draft. don't expect Wadell to make any exciting moves at the draft.

I'm on the fence about him, he's made some nice picks in the 1st rounds for sure but i'm sure winnipeg might be able to pull together a better GM and team. I'd look to swipe Poile's assistant if i were them.

180REPORT: ATLANTA TO WINNEPEG COMPLETE - Page 12 Empty Re: REPORT: ATLANTA TO WINNEPEG COMPLETE Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:52 am

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

Flo The Action wrote:wadell saying he's not going to winnipeg.
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=367495
that should hurt a bit. I guess he'll move on after the draft. don't expect Wadell to make any exciting moves at the draft.

I'm on the fence about him, he's made some nice picks in the 1st rounds for sure but i'm sure winnipeg might be able to pull together a better GM and team. I'd look to swipe Poile's assistant if i were them.

Well considering Waddell isn't the actual GM of the team it shouldn't make a lick of a difference. Their "actual" GM, Rick Dudley, is apparently welcome with open arms to Winnipeg and to be able to stay on in his current role.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 12 of 12]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum